Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just thought I should ask as I think it was revised in 2011,just as is the case with the later Toyota aygos using 0/20 and the earlier aygos 2005 to 2010(including the Peugeot 107 and c1's ) using 5/30

0W20 is there to give slightly better fuel economy - mainly for getting CO emissions down.

5W30 gives better engine protection - and is a lot cheaper and with more choice than 0W20.

I'm not sure who was mainly responsible for the Aygo engine design and manufacture, but I suspect that there wasn't much Toyota involvement - the car is largely a PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) product and Toyota piggy-backed into it. The whole family (Aygo/C1/107) is made in the same production facility in the Czech Republic. So the oil it uses it pretty irrelevant to Toyota and Lexus.

Thanks John for your input, all 3 actually use Toyota engines.My thinking was the same as yours(emissions and fuel economy) as my later 250 f sport is in a slightly lower emissions band than the earlier 250's and the same applies to the aygo,107 and c1

Prompted by that to do a bit more research, I find that the KR 3 cylinder petrol engine used in the Aygo, 107 and C1 was, in fact, designed by Daihatsu in the early 2000s and has been used in a whole lot of Daihatsu and Toyota cars (NB Daihatsu no longer sell cars in Europe)..

Daihatsu started cooperating with Toyota in 1967 and Toyota obtained a controlling interest in 1998. The company became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyota in 2016.

As far as the relevance between models goes - I have for several years used Dexos2 spec oils in all my vehicles (or those I have looked after) ranging from Ford Ka through various VW, Saab, Mercedes, Peugeot, Honda, Mazda and Lexus cars and including my Tecumseh-engined lawnmower.

The actual product Dexos2 (5W30) is a GM oil recommended for use in all GM vehicles (petrol and diesel in Europe - Dexos1 is recommended for petrol vehicles in USA) from the Opel/Vauxhall Adam (no longer GM of course) to the most extreme Corvette. I figured that if it covered all them it wouldn't do any harm in my limited range. I used actual GM Dexos2 for a long time, but during the last couple of years have switched to UK-manufactured Exol Optima LSG, because it is Dexos2 spec and you can buy 20 litres for £59.95. I have never, ever, had any engine lubrication problems. It is fully synthetic 5W30 and meets lots of other specs (VW, Mercedes, BMW etc) as well. The only time I can think of where I wouldn't use it is in modern Ford engines which require 0w30 oil to Ford specs.