Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm seriously considering buying an NX but I'm concerned about performance.  During a test drive I tried to accelerate as if passing another car but the car didn't seem all that interested.  I realised after the test drive that I was in normal drive mode and not sport mode.  Is it necessary to switch to sport mode when passing?  Is there a difference in acceleration when using sport mode?

Basically, in SPORT mode car is more responsive and thermal engine stays on more time, BUT the key for having performance from a hybrid with eCVT is  NOT be worried from engine sound: with right foot you ask "power", and HSD set engine revs to have it, so, when you need a fast passing don't be afraid to press the pedal and don't care about sudden increasing of rpm keeping a steady regime while car accelerates. It's the  "strange" scooter effect, revs are not related to speed because there are not fixed gears.

• Like 1

What are you coming FROM? This also has a bearing. 

If you're used to a diesel, particularly a big diesel (5, 6 or 8 cylinder), then yes, the hybrid system will feel a bit flat - that's because you don't have the huge slug of torque that propels you forwards hard like a diesel does. However, the difference is that while the diesel is building some boost to start giving you that peak torque the hybrid has already responded and is already accelerating, before the diesel has woken up. The peak acceleration of a diesel will be more, but in terms of time-to-speed (from throttle command to reaching the speed you want), they're much much closer than you think - the hybrid simply does it smoothly and linearly while the diesel takes a second or more to wake up, then plays catch-up with harder acceleration. (Yes, if you're used to the car and its response time you can push the throttle earlier to mitigate the lag - thus a diesel can feel faster on the road)

Sport mode makes it feel a bit more lively, but it's not a night-and-day difference. 

I came to the GS450h from both a diesel (Volvo V70 D5 Polestar - 225bhp, 470Nm) and EV (Nissan Leaf - 80kW, 320Nm), so I'm well used to drastically different drivetrains. The Lexus HSD drives much more like the Leaf although not quite as instantaneous or predictable, but it offers similar linearity and constant acceleration (not backing off for gearshifts). I think that the Volvo had more peak punch when you got it spooled up and full torque, but deploying it through the front wheels was a hair-raising affair accompanied with huge amounts of fuss - the GS simply gains speed without drama. It will be interesting how it holds up when my Tesla arrives next month. 

• Like 2

I think your preferred driving style will also play a part. Personal view - the NX is a comfy and quiet cruiser, but not ideal for more aggressive driving styles.

I’d say drive it again, and if you still aren’t sure then buy something that you are more comfortable with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i-s said:

I came to the GS450h from both a diesel (Volvo V70 D5 Polestar - 225bhp, 470Nm) and EV (Nissan Leaf - 80kW, 320Nm), so I'm well used to drastically different drivetrains. The Lexus HSD drives much more like the Leaf although not quite as instantaneous or predictable, but it offers similar linearity and constant acceleration (not backing off for gearshifts). I think that the Volvo had more peak punch when you got it spooled up and full torque, but deploying it through the front wheels was a hair-raising affair accompanied with huge amounts of fuss - the GS simply gains speed without drama. It will be interesting how it holds up when my Tesla arrives next month. 

NX300 ≠ GS450h

I've just given back an NX courtesy car. The inferior ride (my 6yr old son called it 'the bumpy car') was disappointing given the relatively high-profile tyres and non-sporting remit, but the drivetrain was the main problem: it sounded like a diesel and was slooooow, whilst returning barely better mpg than my GS.

I can't see me ever buying an NX anyway, but it doesn't make me exactly hopeful about the ES either, which would have been a candidate...

I have been driving an NX recently and the only time I have felt it to be a bit pedestrian was when loaded with 4 adults and luggage. I normal use it seems fine but it is no sports car.  

@Ziggy1024 Was it the F-Sport model you drove? I have found the suspension on this type a bit pitter-patter and I don't really like it. I was getting an indicated 38.3mpg.

4 minutes ago, malcolmw said:

I have been driving an NX recently and the only time I have felt it to be a bit pedestrian was when loaded with 4 adults and luggage. I normal use it seems fine but it is no sports car.  

@Ziggy1024 Was it the F-Sport model you drove? I have found the suspension on this type a bit pitter-patter and I don't really like it. I was getting an indicated 38.3mpg.

I suspect it was indeed the F-Sport. I'm perhaps being unfair on the performance front - it would probably have seemed adequate if it was quieter and comfier, it just didn't stack up with the bizarrely sporty ride and nasty noise.

2 hours ago, Ziggy1024 said:

NX300 ≠ GS450h

I've just given back an NX courtesy car. The inferior ride (my 6yr old son called it 'the bumpy car') was disappointing given the relatively high-profile tyres and non-sporting remit, but the drivetrain was the main problem: it sounded like a diesel and was slooooow, whilst returning barely better mpg than my GS.

I can't see me ever buying an NX anyway, but it doesn't make me exactly hopeful about the ES either, which would have been a candidate...

Coming from a 2WD saloon 450h and you found the NX 300h slower? Who'd have thought it?! 😂 As for mpg, I've never owned an SUV that could compete with a saloon, although the 40-42 I get compared favourably with previous SUVs I've owned, even the one diesel. Comments about the F-Sport reflect my own opinion having had one for a while, the ride was too hard for me and I found it was noisier. 

A close friend was in my NX at the weekend. She drives a brand new Volvo XC40 (diesel) and remarked how much quieter my car was and how much smoother the ride was. She'd have found a GS better still, no surprise in that, they are totally different vehicles. I loved the GS I had for a few weeks, but it was looooow, so no good for me to get in and out of. It didn't have AWD either, so where I live It wouldn't be ideal to say the very least. 

I've said it before in a different thread. Discussions and opinions about performance are so subjective and depend on so many factors - how you like to drive, what you are used to, the type of driving you do - that they are much like a broken pencil. Pointless. Some people like to drive fast, others in a more civilised manner. Your choice of car, budget permitting, will likely mirror your preference.

• Haha 1

All fair points! As I said in my later post, the thing that really didn't work for me was the lack of refinement (in the F-sport - I can only go on the one they gave me!), and the fact that the ES (the closest you can get to a GS now?) is only available with this type of powertrain... Maybe they're significantly better in this respect than the NX equivalent?

To be clear, It's not that it was a bad car, just that I'd have hoped it would be better given how much newer it was than my old thing. I'd probably have enjoyed one on the standard suspension a lot more, by the sound of it.

Having had a GS Premier for a couple of weeks as a courtesy car (I was without my original NX for months, after which it was replaced) I can say that if I didn't have mobility issues and live in the middle of rural Wiltshire that I'd have had one in a heartbeat. However, my circumstances make that impossible. I even have to have a second set of wheels with Winter tyres - 2 miles from the nearest b-road down a single track lane and you start to see why an SUV is my only option, albeit only really needed two or three times a year.

Compared with the SUV opposition, the NX stands up well and I speak having owned VW and Honda SUVs and having driven Volvo, BMW, Audi and Skoda alternatives. SUVs are a compromise in terms of driving dynamics, but the comfort and ease of access as well as increased traction make that one that I'm willing to live with. Seeing how many there are on the roads now, many others are too.

Add to that my relaxed approach to driving in general means that performance isn't even on my top ten requirements. Lucky really, my previous two Honda CRV petrol/auto 2.0 litre were much slower than my NX. I also used to own a 1974 Mini Clubman auto with 37hp. Now THAT was slow, the manual didn't even quote a 0-60, instead having 0-50! Still fun though, in its own way.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments! I'm still undecided though.  Back to my original questions:

"Is it necessary to switch to sport mode when passing?  Is there a difference in acceleration when using sport mode?" Still doesn't seem clear though.  I'm not going to buy the car if it's dangerous to attempt to pass. Based on my test drive I wouldn't even attempt it.

i-S asked where I was coming from...  At the moment I have an Audi TT roadster with an automatic Tiptronic gear box (which encourages passing at warp speed), a motorbike, and an old 2005 Toyota RAV4 2 litre manual (which also feels quicker than the NX that I tested).  Does anybody have a figure on how long it takes to get from 40 mph to 70 mph?

Thanks again!

30 minutes ago, Not Convinced Yet said:

Thank you all for your comments! I'm still undecided though.  Back to my original questions:

"Is it necessary to switch to sport mode when passing?  Is there a difference in acceleration when using sport mode?" Still doesn't seem clear though.  I'm not going to buy the car if it's dangerous to attempt to pass. Based on my test drive I wouldn't even attempt it.

i-S asked where I was coming from...  At the moment I have an Audi TT roadster with an automatic Tiptronic gear box (which encourages passing at warp speed), a motorbike, and an old 2005 Toyota RAV4 2 litre manual (which also feels quicker than the NX that I tested).  Does anybody have a figure on how long it takes to get from 40 mph to 70 mph?

Thanks again!

Just reading your comment 'I'm not going to buy the car if it's dangerous to pass' makes me think the NX isn't for you. I can't even remember the last time I overtook on anything other than a motorway, or really remember the last time I even saw anybody overtake on an a or b-road (other than tractors or cyclists). Actually, I do remember the last time somebody overtook me in a 40mph limit a couple of years ago, because the plain black Audi behind him was an unmarked police car. That didn't go well for that individual...😂. Made me laugh, he was driving a Corsa and behaving like a moron.

Honestly, if you are the type who overtakes regularly and likes to drive fast, you should probably look at a German diesel if it's an SUV you're after. Just my opinion. I don't think I've ever bothered to use Sport mode, I use either Eco or Normal and it's fine for me, although as I said, I'm a civilised driver rather than a racer.

As an aside, does your TT have the VAG DSG gearbox? If so, doesn't the hesitancy of gear selection make it tricky to overtake safely? Having owned one - one of the many that went 'bang' by the way - I couldn't live with a VAG DSG gearbox again. Even the motoring press have (finally) started to criticise it, albeit a few years too late for my waste of money...

If you've driven the car, and are unconvinced, asking a forum isn't the solution. Drive it again, and go with your instinct. I'm guessing your instinct will be to buy something else.

5 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

Just reading your comment 'I'm not going to buy the car if it's dangerous to pass' makes me think the NX isn't for you. I can't even remember the last time I overtook on anything other than a motorway, or really remember the last time I even saw anybody overtake on an a or b-road (other than tractors or cyclists). Actually, I do remember the last time somebody overtook me in a 40mph limit a couple of years ago, because the plain black Audi behind him was an unmarked police car. That didn't go well for that individual...😂. Made me laugh, he was driving a Corsa and behaving like a moron.

Honestly, if you are the type who overtakes regularly and likes to drive fast, you should probably look at a German diesel if it's an SUV you're after. Just my opinion.

As an aside, does your TT have the VAG DSG gearbox? If so, doesn't the hesitancy of gear selection make it tricky to overtake safely? Having owned one - one of the many that went 'bang' by the way - I couldn't live with a VAG DSG gearbox again. Even the motoring press have (finally) started to criticise it, albeit a few years too late for my waste of money...

Thanks Ed

I'm not one for law breaking and I've never been fined, cautioned or in any accidents in my 50 years of driving.  However if someone is toddling along at 40mph on a clear A road then passing is an option.  Sooner or later a queue builds up and somebody tries to pass 6 cars at once and that's far more dangerous in my opinion.

I don't know what a VAG DSG gearbox is. The TT has a "Tiptronic" automatic gearbox (with flappy paddles that I never use) and some kind of "double-clutch" (whatever that is).  Anyway, it's amazingly quick.  I don't think it's humanly possible to manually get through the gears as fast as this thing does.

Anyway, I'm getting the impression that the NX probably won't work for my driving style.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Not Convinced Yet said:

Thanks Ed

I'm not one for law breaking and I've never been fined, cautioned or in any accidents in my 50 years of driving.  However if someone is toddling along at 40mph on a clear A road then passing is an option.  Sooner or later a queue builds up and somebody tries to pass 6 cars at once and that's far more dangerous in my opinion.

I don't know what a VAG DSG gearbox is. The TT has a "Tiptronic" automatic gearbox (with flappy paddles that I never use) and some kind of "double-clutch" (whatever that is).  Anyway, it's amazingly quick.  I don't think it's humanly possible to manually get through the gears as fast as this thing does.

Anyway, I'm getting the impression that the NX probably won't work for my driving style.

That's the gearbox - DSG stands for 'direct shift gearbox.' I found it a total disaster - always hunting for the right gear and so hesitant it was dangerous, especially at roundabouts and junctions. Fortunately (!) when it exploded it was JUST under warranty. Took ages to replace though as they were on back-order due to the number of issues.

Somebody wrote their tale of misfortune to Honest John just last weekend, but they weren't in warranty and VAG weren't willing to help. Rightly HJ pointed out that the gearbox is a known problem and known to fail at low mileages.

Anyway, good luck with your search and well done on getting a DSG box from VAG that works! I suppose on balance some have to...I'll certainly never trust their products again. Neither will my sister who had the same, or my brother-in-law who had two fail (luckily both under warranty) or a few other people I know. Funny, they all now drive Japanese cars...

I had a hire car last week with a DSG. I've previously related my poor opinion of the DSG here, and it didn't improve any, although stop-start added a new level of hell (t-junction on a country road - come to a stop for just a moment (literally less than a second) and the engine stops. Press throttle and chug-chug-chug Vrooom.... eugh). I did try sport mode and paddles and i think the DSG is great for driving a car at 10 10ths - fast shifts, blipped downshifts, smooth... It's just the whole concept of being an automatic (ie in drive rather than manual mode) that it fails at with slow kickdown, propensity for holding on to too high a gear for too long, etc. 

Anyway... as stated, the NX300h might just be far too sedate for coming from a TT. It's a much heavier car for one thing. I guess you're looking at replacing the rav 4 and the tt together into 1 vehicle? If so, it might be worth a look at the new RAV4 hybrid - this is what the NX300h's replacement will be based on (platform and drivetrain) in a few years time. Also, depending on budget if you want a properly FAST hybrid small SUV then there's the Volvo XC60 T8 (400bhp!). 

Ok guys, thanks again for your guidance.  I think I'll take the NX off my wish list.  I had high expectations I guess.  I bought a new Lexus 400h back in 2006 and the performance was excellent.  Loved that car.  I guess I was expecting the same from the slightly smaller NX.  There are a lot of new hybrids coming onto the market in the next couple of years so I'll hang onto the money for a while and see what turns up.

You've been a great help, Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, i-s said:

What are you coming FROM? This also has a bearing. 

If you're used to a diesel, particularly a big diesel (5, 6 or 8 cylinder), then yes, the hybrid system will feel a bit flat - that's because you don't have the huge slug of torque that propels you forwards hard like a diesel does. However, the difference is that while the diesel is building some boost to start giving you that peak torque the hybrid has already responded and is already accelerating, before the diesel has woken up. The peak acceleration of a diesel will be more, but in terms of time-to-speed (from throttle command to reaching the speed you want), they're much much closer than you think - the hybrid simply does it smoothly and linearly while the diesel takes a second or more to wake up, then plays catch-up with harder acceleration. (Yes, if you're used to the car and its response time you can push the throttle earlier to mitigate the lag - thus a diesel can feel faster on the road)

Sport mode makes it feel a bit more lively, but it's not a night-and-day difference. 

Must of missed when you said you were getting a Tesla i-s,will this be the Tesla 3?

You didn't miss it - you quoted it right there! It will indeed be a 3.... a 3 SR+ in Deep Blue Metallic. Anyone wanna buy a Leaf? 

I've never bought a new car in my life before, and making a mad stretch to get this, but knowing what I know (I'm an electronic engineer working in the automotive field, so I'd like to think that that's quite a bit)... the only other car out or coming that interests me is the Model Y, and that's not going to hit the UK for another couple of years at least. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not Convinced Yet said:

Ok guys, thanks again for your guidance.  I think I'll take the NX off my wish list.  I had high expectations I guess.  I bought a new Lexus 400h back in 2006 and the performance was excellent.  Loved that car.  I guess I was expecting the same from the slightly smaller NX.  There are a lot of new hybrids coming onto the market in the next couple of years so I'll hang onto the money for a while and see what turns up.

You've been a great help, Thanks again!

Talking about my past Lexus models, I started with a 2008 GS450h, and… WOW, what a car. So, when I traded it for a full spec 2014 GS300h I found it "better" almost in all features, except for power (from 345 to 220 HP): it was more than sufficient for normal driving but I missed the V6 performance of 450h. Meanwhile, I had the chance to try NX 300h and I found GS 300h superior in all, so, when I decided to try a SUV it could not be a NX, I got a RX 450h. Not fast like GS450h but quite a fast SUV, I am not worried about passing with a 0-100 km/h of 7.7 s, and an excellent ride and comfort. May be the SUV for you, coming from that cars you had experienced, is RX 450h.

I came from a 3.0 litre diesel A7 and now just cringe when I overtake anything. I always move it into sport mode, but you have to plan WELL ahead before making any overtake. The rise is noise level is positively embarrassing.

I would definitely suggest you check the seats out of you’re tall. I’ve had mine for two months and they’re crippling. So much so I’m looking to get rid of it. I positively loathe driving it. I’ve never experienced a car that was so uncomfortable. I’ve had woeful offers on it, with some other marques not even interested in it as a p/x. I rue the day I convinced myself this was the car I needed. Never again 

1 hour ago, Quietlife said:

I came from a 3.0 litre diesel A7 and now just cringe when I overtake anything. I always move it into sport mode, but you have to plan WELL ahead before making any overtake. The rise is noise level is positively embarrassing.

I would definitely suggest you check the seats out of you’re tall. I’ve had mine for two months and they’re crippling. So much so I’m looking to get rid of it. I positively loathe driving it. I’ve never experienced a car that was so uncomfortable. I’ve had woeful offers on it, with some other marques not even interested in it as a p/x. I rue the day I convinced myself this was the car I needed. Never again 

@Quietlife

Whilst it ís unfortunate that you've bought a car you don't like, I'm still surprised that such 'obvious' faults weren't apparent on a test drive. I've asked on other threads but never had an answer - how long did you test drive the NX for, and can you explain why these issues weren't obvious for you at that point? What's the story? Did you actually test drive an NX before purchase? 

On 5/9/2019 at 4:07 PM, Not Convinced Yet said:

Thanks Ed

Try an RX. I wanted an NX but 10 miles into a test drive my back hurt and the car didn't go as well as my GS300h. 

The series 3 RX I bought is averaging between 32 and 36mpg tankful to tankful. I drive 500 miles a week and always have plenty of go for overtaking without using sport. 

I think we all know how variable opinions are - not just on the NX, but on every car depending on personal circumstances and preferences - but this review surprised me. Get past the fluff about where they went, and the comments about comfort, economy and ease of driving mirror my own experience, and from comments on the forum mirror the experiences of most owners.

However, near the end of the video it mentions performance and overtaking, and even as a very satisfied owner the comments about overtaking surprised me. See what you think. I guess as has been pointed out elsewhere, it depends somewhat on what the reviewer is used to.

NX Review - Car Weekender

I'd say that the majority of driving this family did suited the NX's strengths. As a well made, comfortable, luxury, small SUV it ticks a lot of boxes. As a performance SUV it falls some way short, and those looking for that 'extra ooompf' for driving fast should look elsewhere imho. For me, it's a car for comfortable and stress free wafting.

I am SO chuffed my NX has AVS with its 5 Driving Modes as the Auto Set-up smooths out completely the F-Sport bump/thump.

Swift S-bend S-Sport driving is good for a mid-size SUV & much more stable than my families Range Rovers along the same highway.

S-Sport acceleration from standstill is impressive, surprising the surrounding vehicles @ multi lane intersections.

Global road tests have achieved sub-8-seconds 0-60 times but the NX is not intended to be a Sports Car with its high centre of gravity.

As Ed states it delivers a smooth stress free ride in a good looking 4x4 that many admire.

Tel

• 2 weeks later...

Having had my NX for almost a year, this afternoon I've completed my first properly long trip of 200 mainly motorway miles (usually I fly or take the train for business and if driving we get hire cars, but this is a personal trip).

Ignoring the performance question, as it is quite fast enough for the way I drive, today's trip has shown me just how quiet and comfortable the NX is - getting out I felt like I'd done 20 miles rather than 200! With cruise control on and Spotify streaming to the car audio it was a very relaxing way to travel, admittedly on very empty motorways.

Even the performance, when needed, seems fine to me - it's faster than my previous Honda CR-V anyway!

I'm very satisfied.

• Like 1