Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

6 minutes ago, doxy said:

smoke is blowing out of exhaust badly

Perhaps a little more info?  Car's mileage, colour of smoke, engine oil colour, coolant level etc.

28 minutes ago, doxy said:

its 06 plate.mileage is 100,ooo.smoke is white colour

Oil burning would be blue, and at 100k I wouldn't expect it.  White may suggest water vapour. Does it happen all the time?

no.but i have to keep topping the oil up..also.it was standing for 3months.as have been away..the mechanic said,piston rings are broken..but i'd like to get opion of an expert like yourself.

21 minutes ago, doxy said:

no.but i have to keep topping the oil up..also.it was standing for 3months.as have been away..the mechanic said,piston rings are broken..but i'd like to get opion of an expert like yourself.

I'm no expert but a 100k GS300 shouldn't burn oil, certainly not to that extent. How often do you top it up, after how many miles, and how long have you had the car?  How do they know a piston ring is broken without stripping the engine down. I think I'd take it to another mechanic!

i'v been topping up virtually every month.for about 4months. before i went away.i'v had the car 3years...in your opinion.what could be the cause??

2 hours ago, doxy said:

i'v been topping up virtually every month.for about 4months. before i went away.i'v had the car 3years...in your opinion.what could be the cause??

To be honest it could be several things. If you don't have any oil leaks it must be burning it. What's the service history like, has it had regular oil changes and filters? I would maybe start by getting a compression test. Does it smoke from the oil filler cap when the engine is running? Maybe valve stem seals allowing oil through to be burnt?  I'm not sure about the PCV valve on the GS, a possibility maybe.

Doing a compression test will show if there are issues with the rings. Highly unlikely that they would all be broken.

As mentioned, white smoke is not really indicative of burning oil, but of water. Blue tinted smoke would be oil. Any sludge in the water at all, or white sludge on the oil filler cap? A pressure test of the cooling system could help rule out head gasket failure.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I think there are two issues here that are unrelated.  I can't help with the white smoke but the oil topping up is the same as my mk3 and, spookily I'm just shy of 100k!

My LS400 never needed a drop of oil but these engines have an issue caused by the system of fuel injection.  The piston rings get gummed up and don't do their job 

properly, thus oil escapes more readily down the bores.  Check the US forums for more information.  I use Redex periodically and just top up the oil when needed...

I can't afford another Lexus right now or to have the piston rings replaced.  I just live with it!!

Mark.

1 hour ago, doxy said:

the mechanic said,theres oil on the spark plugs

If there's oil on the plugs it has to be getting there via the top end (valve guides) or from the other end past the piston rings.  Did the mechanic do a compression test? 

2 minutes ago, doxy said:

he said he did.said would be cheaper to get another engine

Fair comment.  And did he say the compression is poor and where the fault is?

20 minutes ago, doxy said:

no

I guess in the end it's down to you accepting the mechanics advice that you've been given. These forums are only able to give advice/make suggestions. I would however suggest a second opinion from a mechanic that has a good knowledge of these cars.