Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rant and questions

OK il start with the rant first having noticed a few first World problems yet still irritating with our 300h

1. Only one reverse light! Wtf! 

2. No option to power fold the mirrors when locking. This function is on other models and would cost nothing to enable at factory, the motors are still in the mirrors. 

3 no reversing camera, it has the screen for radio so to add a camera on the back wouldn't cost the world when manufactureing! This would be better than the stupid asc function they fitted! 

4. Sat nav not displayed in instrument cluster without buying a cable and fitting behind the dash, come on lexus just stick the cable in from factory instead of fafing about as a stupid extra! 

First question. It opens and starts keyless when key in pocket, how do you lock one of these keyless? I was under the impression it should auto lock when the key goes out of range but it appears I was wrong. 

Agree. It wouldn't have hurt them to allow a menu function to enable/disable autolock after x time of not activity or occupation to lock.

I made an sms gms shield connected to arduino and relay board for this very reason. And... To enable remote start on the cold mornings.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Shada said:

First question. It opens and starts keyless when key in pocket, how do you lock one of these keyless? I was under the impression it should auto lock when the key goes out of range but it appears I was wrong. 

Small notch on the front only door handles.

Touch notch once to lock. Touch twice to dead lock (internal locks disable)

Do you know what I would agree with that but for one issue....

I had a is220d with touch locking but they did include a button your finger felt to enable locking it and it did detent when you pressed it . In ten years I never forgot to use that. This new or sort of new idea. Bad idea. I forget all the time now due to that small change.

19 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Small notch on the front only door handles.

Touch notch once to lock. Touch twice to dead lock (internal locks disable)

It took me 18 Months to suss that one :whistling:

• Haha 1

Not bothered about the reverse light, but the no camera on a premium vehicle is just ridiculous! Especially when you have everything else... That and the no bass on the 6 speaker stereo system is my biggest disappointment with the car. 

Omg dont get me started on the sound. I'd forgotten how good the mark levinson was until you said that...

Now boggo... At best.

25 minutes ago, Inazone said:

Not bothered about the reverse light, but the no camera on a premium vehicle is just ridiculous! Especially when you have everything else... That and the no bass on the 6 speaker stereo system is my biggest disappointment with the car. 

It would be unfair to call the sound "bad" in the one I have, better than our vectra was, however it's no match for the dolby system in the volvo. I read on here there was a 6 and 9 speaker system. How do I tell which I have? Its an executive model if that means anything. 

As said the 1 reverse light is a first World problem just doesn't look right on what is supposed to be a luxury car. 

Whoahoo jump in a lexus (old) is220d and listen to the sound then get in an is300h and listen then tell me. Don't be assuming.))

22 hours ago, Martin F said:

That’s what the manual’s for :wink3:

You don't always get one...you have to download it and that just isnt the same with tired eyes and a small phone screen. 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:23 PM, Shada said:

It would be unfair to call the sound "bad" in the one I have, better than our vectra was, however it's no match for the dolby system in the volvo. I read on here there was a 6 and 9 speaker system. How do I tell which I have? Its an executive model if that means anything. 

As said the 1 reverse light is a first World problem just doesn't look right on what is supposed to be a luxury car. 

If its an Executive then its the 6 speaker.  I came out of a CT200h with the premium system and I was a little surprised how lacking the IS system is

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:34 PM, Shada said:

OK il start with the rant first having noticed a few first World problems yet still irritating with our 300h

2. No option to power fold the mirrors when locking. This function is on other models and would cost nothing to enable at factory, the motors are still in the mirrors. 

3 no reversing camera, it has the screen for radio so to add a camera on the back wouldn't cost the world when manufactureing! This would be better than the stupid asc function they fitted! 

4. Sat nav not displayed in instrument cluster without buying a cable and fitting behind the dash, come on lexus just stick the cable in from factory instead of fafing about as a stupid extra! 

Our Premier has all those issues sorted expect 1, and adaptive cruise/blind spot monitoring etc as well 😛

The only feature really lacking is heated steering wheel. Annoying as same car in Norway have it, there is even space on the dash for the button but its blanked out :(.

My Negative List:

• Fuel door sometimes sits proud of bodywork. Found a tip online that said if the plastic tether goes anywhere other than under the fuel cap, it will cause this.
  • Transmission delay. After a year and a half with the car, I still get annoyed when I look for sudden acceleration only to find that it will take almost a second for it to deliver. Using Sport mode is no help; the basic problem is that all the gubbins in the drive system need this time to get their act together before any usable acceleration is delivered. And this is also a problem "the other way": Look for acceleration, it doesn't come, back off the accelerator. You then get a "mini boost" for a fraction of a second before the brain realises you don't need it any more. The transmission delay is only a problem if you try to drive aggressively in urban conditions. The solution is to not drive aggressively!
  • Car is very low to the ground and particular attention required around any urban speed bumps. Tends to create impression that suspension is very soft but this is not the case.
  • Boot release button not centered under bootlid!
  • The need to press auto-wiper button twice to kickstart auto wiper function if the windscreen is wet.
  • "Intelligent" indicator stalk is actually not very intelligent at all. I often find myself indicating the other way when what I wanted to do was to cancel the original indication. I've used other "intelligent" indicators before and can't recall having any problems. Having said that, I much prefer "manual" indicators.
  • Lack of a spare
  • Anti glare coating on SatNav screen is very easily marked. Best solution is to just remove it with wipes
  • Boot hinges intrude into the boot space and can crush luggage.

Some other bits and pieces:

• User manuals are available online – have a look here for a list: https://www.lexus.ie/forms/manuals/owners-manual# (or directly from here)
  • Some technical information in this manual useful even if you are not dismantling your IS300H.
  • If you use the gear paddles, the car stays in manual mode for a while. Pulling and holding the + paddle puts it back into D auto mode

4 hours ago, route66 said:

I look for sudden acceleration only to find that it will take almost a second for it to deliver. Using Sport mode is no help

Do you mean selecting Sport instead of Normal on the "Driving Mode Select Switch" as they call it? Or are you using the gear selector to select "S" instead of "D". These functions have confusingly similar names. I also find that although selecting Sport improves the accelerator response, especially compared with Eco, there can still be a lag before the acceleration comes through. But I find that switching to S on the gear selector, instead of D, improves the engine response. Changing down a ratio or two I also find gives a much quicker response - certainly the lag isn't as much as a second and I'd say that the acceleration response is much faster than on an automatic diesel turbo.

Boot release button not centered under bootlid!

Agreed! I've got round the problem by memorising which letter on the number plate is just below the switch. 

• The need to press auto-wiper button twice to kickstart auto wiper function if the windscreen is wet.
  • "Intelligent" indicator stalk is actually not very intelligent at all.

I find if you leave it long enough the auto-wiper will come on. But I still might sometimes operate the stalk for a single wipe.

I still make mistakes with the indicators, even though I think I fully understand how they're supposed to work. And it's still irritating that they cancel too soon when going round roundabouts.

On the plus side

After quite a long time with the car, I discovered a couple of small features that were nice to find.

• When you're on a fast dual carriageway broken up by frequent roundabouts, I discovered that if you re-engage cruise control as you come off the roundabout at 30 mph, it increases the rate of acceleration progressively to take you back up to 70mph. My experience of other cars has been that the cruise control would accelerate hard from 30 mph until it got back to 70 mph. The progressive approach is much more relaxing.
  • When I first had the car I read forum complaints about how the voice recognition was hopeless so I didn't even try it. Just recently, I decided to try programming voice recognition for phone numbers I use frequently and found it works well. Now to call someone I just press the voice recognition button on the steering wheel, speak the name and the call is made when I press the off-hook button. This is much easier and safer than having to look at a screenful of contact names.

These are both small points but enough to bring a smile to the face of someone who's easily pleased.

• Like 1

I would note that reverse camera and proper audio system was included in better trims or as optional equipment, so in this case I could only say - get yourself premium or f-sport. I would say it is only fair to rant where something is not even an option e.g. Audi, MB, Mercedes have pan-roofs, surround view cameras, engine choices, interior colour/material choices, wheel choices... and Lexus don't... not even as an option!

However, on other hand I must agree - going from mk2 to mk3 Lexus introduced sub-luxury trim levels and overall reduced the standard equipment list. SE mk2 is not equal SE mk3.

Literally, standard IS mk3 was like mk2 SE--, SE was SE- and one would have to go for Exec just to get equivalent spec. to SE.... on other hand F-sport got pretty much same toys as previous F-sport and Premier was better equipped then SE-L. But even things which were standard across all range in mk2, like keyless entry was an option on lower trims.

The 6 speaker poverty line audio requires separate topic.... I have (complained about that a lot) - it does not have a place in any car nevermind Lexus. This is especially true when contrasted with mk2 standard system which had 13 speakers and in some instances outright rivalled ML - obviously, not clarity or balance, but say outright loudness and "punchiness". Whereas mk3 standard 6 speaker system was worse (factually) then one in Ford Fiesta. How did they decided it was OK... I don't know?! I guess Lexus learned a lesson - putting too good standard system doesn't motivate people to spend £3000 on the premium one.... soooooo they nerfed the standard system few steps too far... in fact maybe a mile too far.

I get what most of you say, I had not looked at spec levels when purchaceing but assumed "executive" ment all mod cons. 

As for the sound system I seen a thread on this forum where a guy upgraded his, may do this myself just for the fun of it. 

As for the boot switch I think it's mounted there to fit the reverse camera In the middle. 

Someone mentioned a Ford fiesta having better sound quality, we have a 2009 fiesta at home although I haven't tested the sound quality I know it has power folding mirrors and 2 f##kin reverse lights! 

The spare wheel is a pain in the ***** but all brands are the same now, I'm contemplating getting a second boot mat and making my own split level type boot to store one in. For another day I get bored! 

As for the auto box, I found it one of the best autos I've ever driven. I've heard plenty of people say great things about audi dsg when it's working right but I still feel the lexus cvt is better. However many speaking about audi dsg had never driven lexus. This may just be difference of opinion

CVTs were quite poor things, namely ones in mk3 GS... however it should not b confused with eCVTs which for most times feels just like normal automatic.

Standard audio in Fiesta is 10 speakers Sony system, which is certainly better than 6 speakers one in Lexus... it would be hard to find modern car with worse system.

"Exec" - was like second trim from the bottom - I guess "smart" marketing example. Later the lowest trim was called "luxury" - surely somebody choosing it would get anything but that.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

CVTs were quite poor things, namely ones in mk3 GS... however it should not b confused with eCVTs which for most times feels just like normal automatic.

Lexus have never used a CVT in a vehicle. All Toyota/Lexus hybrids use eCVTs.

Yes you are correct - what I meant, the way L110 gearbox was tuned in early eCVT models say GS450h (mk3) left something to be desired, whereas starting with L210 gearbox in IS mk3 and even more RC it was tuned to feel just like (or better) than normal auto. That was partially achieved by adding "fake" steps for sequential gear changes if desired, but otherwise still efficient as CVT.

I mean I head tried older Lexus with eCVT and back then shared the opinion that sounded like hairdryer and made acceleration smooth yet "dull and annoying", however when I tried it in RC/IS300h I really liked the gearbox in particular although 300h engine is real disappointment. 

HAve to agree ,

the one reverse light annoys me !

really miss not having the reverse camera , my previous car , Jag XF had one and parking sensors all round .

lexus told me it was one or the other , camera OR sensors , NOT both !? 

buttons not well  lit at nighttime.

automatic closing of mirrors should be standard .

and new ran roughshod , the cream leather seats mark so easily, had one replaces within weeks it was marked again and

looked scuffed , despite enormous care getting in and out , which is another gripe , it’s  too low . 

1 hour ago, Dealkent said:

really miss not having the reverse camera , my previous car , Jag XF had one and parking sensors all round .

lexus told me it was one or the other , camera OR sensors , NOT both !? 

Our 2014 Luxury with Premium Nav (mouse operated) has had both camera and sensors from new so I'm not sure why they said only one or the other. Possibly if the car has standard Nav (dial operated) it can only have camera or sensors.