Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CT200h rumble noise

james250

I have a 2013 CT200h Advanced on Yokohama 17" tyres. I've had the car for about 18 months. Recently after a long trip I started noticing a rumbling sound couple of weeks ago. The noise is getting progressively louder as the weeks have gone. It's a noise impossible to record. If I open the windows I can't hear it but with windows closed I hear it. The best description I can give is it sounds almost like a train noise but a rubber version of it. It gets louder with speed and doesn't matter if im accelerating or not. Even just rolling at speeding I can hear it. I also tried having someone drive it past me at a speed that they can hear it from inside and I tried to listen from outside and couldn't hear it from outside. Any ideas what this can be?

I'm thinking it really sounds like a flat tyre kind of noise but tyre pressures are all fine. I have Yokohama 17" and there is probably just under 4mm tread left on them. 

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Looks like a worn wheel bearing. This is a progressing noise, by km or mile an hour, not by rpm.

If the tires start to make noise, it usually is not present at every speed or at least the sound levels tend to fluctuate more.

3 minutes ago, dudewheresmymoto said:

Looks like a worn wheel bearing. This is a progressing noise, by km or mile an hour, not by rpm.

If the tires start to make noise, it usually is not present at every speed or at least the sound levels tend to fluctuate more.

I was suspecting wheel bearing too, but I jacked up each side and tried to wobble the wheels and there was no movement that I can feel. What's involved in replacing wheel bearings and how can I check if it's wheel bearings for sure?

The wobble test is not always conclusive for a worn wheel bearing it may be the bearing has dried out so rough running will make a noise. Tyres are another possibility but given the quality and make it makes it doubtful.

I notice you are also in Derbyshire, I have a spare set of Lexus wheels and tyres if you wanted to try them on yours to see if it sorts your problem.

19 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I notice you are also in Derbyshire, I have a spare set of Lexus wheels and tyres if you wanted to try them on yours to see if it sorts your problem.

That's such a lovely offer. I actually moved a while back and forgotten to update my profile. Need to do that now.

Other than the wobble test, is there any other tests I can check to see if it's the bearings? My local dealership is quite far out. I have some good local garages but wondering is there anything special about hybrid system wheel bearings? Can a normal garage be able to check this?

• 4 years later...

Hi guys hope someone can help I have some isuess with rubber noice only when I driver over like 35mlies to about 55mlies I seen  two garage's they saying it isn't the wheel bearing or anything else,  they are saying that I have one tyre that is different to the rest, I may change the tyre but I feel that isn't it. Can anyone help 

Hi Abz and welcome to the LOC.

We never got a definitive answer for this problem but something I have now thought of is to check the rubber exhaust mountings.

There are 5 of them supporting the system, if they are worn, dried out or perished they could produce a noise.

I have recently noticed a similar noise on my CT. The tyres are also Yokohama E70 17" which seemed to be extremely hard wearing but generally noisy. The car was due a service/MOT last week and so I asked the (Lexus) dealer to check for wheel bearing wear. The service manager said that it was almost certainly the tyres but would check bearings etc. Although the tyres have done 30,000 miles they had sufficient tread to not merit changing but an MOT advisory was issued for "perished" rear tyres. Wheel bearings were all OK. I had rears changed for new ones (Yokohama Advan Flevan) and the noise has vanished. The new tyres are definitely quieter and softer than the originals and are cheaper too! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links