Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Map fonts hard to read on 10 inch screen

I have had the car a few weeks now and found my way around most things but I do find the map text hard to read.I thought it might be just me but passengers say the same. I know the whole map can be pinched to enlarge but this doesn't really solve the issue. Road numbers for example are virtually impossible to read at a glance on this screen. The colours don't help and the only display options seem to be contrast and brightness which don't improve matters either. Is this a common cause for complaint and has anyone found a solution or workaround for it?

• Like 1

Yes, one of my pet hates too in that the font size of things like ETA, road number are very small.  Can’t see why this couldn’t be changed through a software update.

And don’t get me started on why my map zooms out when I approach a junction.😠

Other than that it’s alright.

• Like 1

My research certainly paid off re my NX Spec.!

The HUD SAT NAV display resolves the above grumbles & is a top Option in North America where the NX sells in large numbers.

Tel

Your top spec NX must be different to mine as my HUD doesn’t display ETA, distance to destination or road number, etc.😚  There’s enough space on the 10” infotainment screen so that things like the ETA font size could be increased.  

Re the zooming back out at junctions the HUD doesn’t always help as the turn is indicative and if it’s a complicated junction the map on the screen is better.

This is the same on my 2018 NX luxury. The font is awful to read and zooming in to navigate junctions etc is so poor.

Other manufacturers just do this part of the car so much better. There is no excuse for Lexus to be so far behind in this respect.

Never had an easier Nav.

Will report in Detail how I negotiate complex Junctions.

On Technology the 2019 Build NX have improved AVS/ Media & my HUD shows road number.

Recalculation is instant if I go wrong with no verbal prompt.

My Lexus Routes link to the car & when I start the car in my garage the screen informs me said named route has been transferred to My  Favourites.

Tel 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tel said:

Never had an easier Nav.

Will report in Detail how I negotiate complex Junctions.

On Technology the 2019 Build NX have improved AVS/ Media & my HUD shows road number.

Recalculation is instant if I go wrong with no verbal prompt.

My Lexus Routes link to the car & when I start the car in my garage the screen informs me said named route has been transferred to My  Favourites.

Tel 

That’s good to know re road numbers in the 2019 NX’s HUD.  I know my, on order, ES shows road names in the HUD so hopefully road number too.

Tel, is there any additional stuff in the NX  HUD for 2019 apart from road numbers? 

Apologies to you all,

I have just returned from a 50 mile round trip & can report how I use my NAV.

I primarily use my HUD that informs me in yards to turn left & depicts it is the second left & some distance before said turn I am told turn left once on the island or junction

Same for any island. 6 exits with the 5th. shown etc. & the speed of the exit road.

The road I am on & the road I am going onto with an arrow left NOT at an obtuse angle as shown in the HUD, is in the INFO screen.

I never look @ the NAV screen itself once programmed .

Again sorry for my mistake.

Tel

• 5 weeks later...

Have had an NX for three months, by far the worst Sat Nav on any of the three other Lexus cars I have had, small fonts, at times no audio and wants to take me off onto roads I dont want to be on, last one I will have. I would have expected better than this from Lexus. 

6 minutes ago, VINOMAN said:

last one I will have. I would have expected better than this from Lexus

I agree, I cannot abide the inbuilt nav in my car. However, don't you think you're sort of throwing the baby out with the bath water?

As long as the rest of the car meets your expectations and you like it, finding a workaround for the nav is very easy. I simply use Waze on my phone instead - problem solved and I can enjoy the rest of the car as I like.

I would agree. To be honest I rarely even look at the screen now except to sort out some music. The map is useless and will not stay on the same zoom setting, the sat nav itself is untrustworthy unless you are on known A roads which rather ruins the point of it. The other week it wanted to send me through the centre of Lincoln at rush hour. None of the optional routes was the best and I ended up using my own instincts.

I don’t know if this is a hardware or software problem and I don’t care or feel like wasting time to find out. That job belongs to Lexus and Lexus should be sending customers some advice and offering help with something virtually everyone finds a very weak point.  It is certainly a big drawback to an otherwise excellent motor.  I managed for decades without a sat nav so it won’t bother me, but it will be a factor if and when I change the car.

I use Lexus Link. Application for phone and computer. I do the job on the application and send it to Lexus. It is much easier. The touchpad is not so good. I have also set up on the phone Acces Point for the internet and lexus uses it. Shows where road works and traffic jams and gives alternative routes. For me, navigation is good.

I agree about the font sizes being too small and the width of minor roads is also too small to see them clearly even at high zoom. The contrast between the grey background (in towns), the green background (in rural areas) and the thin white roads is very weak so you can hardly see them. I wonder if night mode (i.e. black and white) would be easier?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2019 at 5:38 PM, Lyndos said:

I have just taken delivery of UX and can’t believe how bad the map display is compared to my old Volvo.  Even zooming in doesn’t help with being able to read the road names and my eyesight is pretty good. 

Agreed. My IS300H had a much better and clearer sat nav display.

• 11 months later...

Having sat in a friend’s 530e it really does put Lexus media to shame. My eyes are not that great for reading but still perfect for long distance so I don’t need glasses for driving but this makes it hard to read Lexus navigation in the move. No such problems in the 530e. I wouldn’t be driving a Lexus if good media was at the top of my wish list 

29 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

There is an option in the setup menu to stop the map zooming in on junctions I think

I’ve never got that to work.  I’ve tried Off, Near and Far and it always zooms out to half of the town you’re in when you really need it to zoom into the junction.  Been like that on all my Lexus cars.  If anyone finds a way to lock the zoom please let me know.

I don’t have the premium nav in mine but have had it in a previous car. Worth a google I would say. I dislike the auto zoom, I prefer to have the zoom pop up in a separate window to the right

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I don’t have the premium nav in mine but have had it in a previous car. Worth a google I would say. I dislike the auto zoom, I prefer to have the zoom pop up in a separate window to the right

That’s a good idea.  I hadn’t thought of that as I always have the whole screen as one map.  I’ll try it next time.

If I approach a Junction I get a display of said Junction in the main screen in its own panel plus the Info screen & the HUD so I have never bothered with Zoom or the poor fonts.

Tel

1 hour ago, Tel said:

If I approach a Junction I get a display of said Junction in the main screen in its own panel

Mine used to do this but stopped doing so after one of the software updates about 9 months ago.  The strange thing is my mum’s NX has never done it, even when on the older software.  Quite annoying as I found the split screen quite handy. 

I’ll have to check but I don’t think I’ve ever seen reference to this in the manual either. 

(note, I’m talking about standard road junctions not motorway junctions.)

Mine now only shows Dual carriageway exits plus the full Motorway System.

I am clearly too dependent on my HUD & cannot wait to see what happens to the Hud when Car Play is activated.

Tel