Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just doing my pre flight checks. I'm told I don't need to do anything to my headlights, can anyone that's driven a 430 in Europe confirm this? Thanks.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Just doing my pre flight checks. I'm told I don't need to do anything to my headlights, can anyone that's driven a 430 in Europe confirm this? Thanks.

Have a great trip Phil.

Keep your Yellow Vests inside the car to wear immediately should the need arise.

• Thanks 1

Hi Phil, I need to put a sticker on my 460 when I come to the UK. I only need the round part of the sticker so I can buy them in Holland or in Halfords. I have a spare pair from Halfords in the car and I've just had a look at the instructions.....

It shows how to fit stickers to Lexus models 400, 430, and 460 from 1999 to 2009, so it looks like you'll need to do that. Also, if you have AFS (Advanced Front Lighting System) - the kind that 'sees' round corners - you'll have to switch that off. It should tell you that in the User Manual.

I hope you enjoy your trip...…..FYI, I have NEVER seen a 430 here. They are around, but very rare.

42 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

Hi Phil, I need to put a sticker on my 460 when I come to the UK. I only need the round part of the sticker so I can buy them in Holland or in Halfords. I have a spare pair from Halfords in the car and I've just had a look at the instructions.....

It shows how to fit stickers to Lexus models 400, 430, and 460 from 1999 to 2009, so it looks like you'll need to do that. Also, if you have AFS (Advanced Front Lighting System) - the kind that 'sees' round corners - you'll have to switch that off. It should tell you that in the User Manual.

I hope you enjoy your trip...…..FYI, I have NEVER seen a 430 here. They are around, but very rare.

Thanks for that, I'll pick some up today. I do have AFS so thanks for the reminder!

but if you're driving in the Irish part of europe, Republic of Ireland , then  you don't need to do anything .....  drive on the same side as us in the UK

Malc

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

but if you're driving in the Irish part of europe, Republic of Ireland , then  you don't need to do anything .....  drive on the same side as us in the UK

Malc

And the speed signs are in kph!

Photo copy of your Driving licence and MOT cert, plus print out of your DVLA Licence check with code. Snow chains. (plastic)

Just back from France early hours of yesterday morning - 450 miles in France a doddle - M20 and Dartford Tunnel (diversion) total nightmare! Added extra hour and a half and the failing to find route back to the Tunnel went to Blackwall Tunnel instead.  Paid the emissions charge yesterday.

Didn't see a single LS400 or 430.    At a Serice Station somewhere beyond Orleon a guy siddled up to the Car and I thought hello hello begging ? but on talking to him  - Pavel of Belaruse told me he had two LS400's and loved the Car.  Showed me countless photo's on his Phone,f one which was roadworthy and the other a wreck.  The wreck he had virtually on its side to do work on the underside.  Also showed me a clip of his Dad doing Doughnuts in the better Car - on sand he hastely pointed out.  Its nice to own something that is admired and not just the run of the mill Cars.

Have a great trip Phil.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Photo copy of your Driving licence and MOT cert, plus print out of your DVLA Licence check with code. Snow chains. (plastic)

Just back from France early hours of yesterday morning - 450 miles in France a doddle - M20 and Dartford Tunnel (diversion) total nightmare! Added extra hour and a half and the failing to find route back to the Tunnel went to Blackwall Tunnel instead.  Paid the emissions charge yesterday.

Didn't see a single LS400 or 430.    At a Serice Station somewhere beyond Orleon a guy siddled up to the Car and I thought hello hello begging ? but on talking to him  - Pavel of Belaruse told me he had two LS400's and loved the Car.  Showed me countless photo's on his Phone,f one which was roadworthy and the other a wreck.  The wreck he had virtually on its side to do work on the underside.  Also showed me a clip of his Dad doing Doughnuts in the better Car - on sand he hastely pointed out.  Its nice to own something that is admired and not just the run of the mill Cars.

Have a great trip Phil.  

Thanks. Last year we did Vienna in the GS and saw one MK3 LS400 on the German autobahn. That was the one and only LS in 2,500 miles, now that's rare!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

And remember that if in France not all 90 kmph signs have yet been changed to 80 kmph, so BEWARE !!

90 means 80 which means 50mph, if you get what I mean .

Ooops missed that - didn't see any flashing light in the Mirror so hopefully....

Watch out for speed camera on downhill slope into Rouen if going in that direction.

I used silver Duct Tape for my headlamps cut to shape which but may lose some of the lighting power? Do deflectors actually work? Sticky is a problem for plastic H/L's I imagine. Had to tuck in between two Camions going up the Amberzac Hills as a deluge of Rain the like of which I've never before experienced,  not only took away my ability to see the road but also had me frightened it woud turn to Hail.  Could just see the Lorry rear lights.  That was the only France worry.

2 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Ooops missed that - didn't see any flashing light in the Mirror so hopefully....

Watch out for speed camera on downhill slope into Rouen if going in that direction.

I used silver Duct Tape for my headlamps cut to shape which but may lose some of the lighting power? Do deflectors actually work? Sticky is a problem for plastic H/L's I imagine. Had to tuck in between two Camions going up the Amberzac Hills as a deluge of Rain the like of which I've never before experienced,  not only took away my ability to see the road but also had me frightened it woud turn to Hail.  Could just see the Lorry rear lights.  That was the only France worry.

The only slight diversion will be to the little French town of Socx for lunch, especially as it's asparagus season...hmmm, asparagus and poached eggs! Then it's straight to the Luxembourg countryside for the night, that'll leave a 420 mile drive the following day.  My wife is getting more excited at the prospect of Austrian potato salad at the motorway service area than anything else.  Image foreign visitors getting excited about Clacket Lane services!

• Haha 1

Did 2000+ miles in France last October without the headlight stickers, or switching off the cornering lights.
I never got flashed by anyone, and at one point followed a "Flic" for 25 miles on a D road (80kph) and even he didn't pull me over.
On the LS430 just make sure that your headlights are adjusting themselves correctly and forget about it.
Do make sure you have sufficient yellow vests for all the cars occupants, especially if you feel like taking part in a riot. :punk:
Forget about the alcohol testers unless you drive like yer drunk (or drive drunk) but remember that they have an upper limit that is just over half that in the UK so one pint and yer possibly over the limit. You will get fined if they decide to breathalyse you and you don't have one that is within it's use by date.
Make sure that GB appears somewhere on the back of your car.
Take all your documents with you wherever you go. Passport, driving licence, V5, MOT, Insurance cert.
If you get pulled and can't produce, they can and will lock you up until someone produces your documentation.
Your best bet for accurate speed limits is a recent satnav. I use a TomTom.
Driving France is so pleasant so long as ya stay away from the cities.
Oh, speaking of Cities, if going near Paris or any of several other areas that can restrict access based on emissions, make certain to get your CritAir sticker.
The 430 is Euro4 but the 400 is Euro1 or Euro2 depending on the year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Did 2000+ miles in France last October without the headlight stickers, or switching off the cornering lights.
I never got flashed by anyone, and at one point followed a "Flic" for 25 miles on a D road (80kph) and even he didn't pull me over.
On the LS430 just make sure that your headlights are adjusting themselves correctly and forget about it.
Do make sure you have sufficient yellow vests for all the cars occupants, especially if you feel like taking part in a riot. :punk:
Forget about the alcohol testers unless you drive like yer drunk (or drive drunk) but remember that they have an upper limit that is just over half that in the UK so one pint and yer possibly over the limit. You will get fined if they decide to breathalyse you and you don't have one that is within it's use by date.
Make sure that GB appears somewhere on the back of your car.
Take all your documents with you wherever you go. Passport, driving licence, V5, MOT, Insurance cert.
If you get pulled and can't produce, they can and will lock you up until someone produces your documentation.
Your best bet for accurate speed limits is a recent satnav. I use a TomTom.
Driving France is so pleasant so long as ya stay away from the cities.
Oh, speaking of Cities, if going near Paris or any of several other areas that can restrict access based on emissions, make certain to get your CritAir sticker.
The 430 is Euro4 but the 400 is Euro1 or Euro2 depending on the year.

I'll get a headlight deflectors just in case an over zealous officer of the law sees it and starts to question me. All the other documents/insurances are all sorted. I won't be going to any French cities so all I'll need is to pay the tolls and get a vignette for Austria. 

• Thanks 1

I used the Liber T automatic toll payment tag for driving across France four times and would definitely recommend the system. I had no problems but if you do it can be sorted back in the UK speaking English to the company.

Loved driving up to the toll booth, slowing down and waiting just a second for the barrier to raise automatically. The toll roads provide effortless high speed driving and are worth the cost if you need to cover distance quickly. Of course you see nothing of the quaint villages etc.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, GrahamG said:

I used the Liber T automatic toll payment tag for driving across France four times and would definitely recommend the system. I had no problems but if you do it can be sorted back in the UK speaking English to the company.

Loved driving up to the toll booth, slowing down and waiting just a second for the barrier to raise automatically. The toll roads provide effortless high speed driving and are worth the cost if you need to cover distance quickly. Of course you see nothing of the quaint villages etc.

Just applied for one, and just enough time to get it delivered!

9 minutes ago, Greer said:

Phil, the RAC gives some guidelines on different countries including overtaking etc etc.., https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/checklist/

Everything needs to done to the countries requirements or they can tow the car away & leave you on foot............climbing over the Alps to get home aint my idea of a wonderful holiday....

Dont have any of these ringing in your ears....

aller à la maison Englander

Gehen Sie nach Hause englander

andare a casa Englander

Indeed, no!  Although a bit of Von Trappe while skipping over the Alps may amuse! 

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Just applied for one, and just enough time to get it delivered!

Had mine for 12 years.One for France and One for Spain/Portugal. Brilliant.

French Tolls can be expensive but worth it if time is of the essence, otherwise enjoy rural and countryside France.

• Like 1

Likewise have had an Emovis Tag for ages.
Beats the heck out of queuing, digging around for change or credit card, digging around for misplaced tickets, etc.
Just beep and go. 😁
Of course, you don't know how much you've spent until you login to the website to check. 😨

2 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

Likewise have had an Emovis Tag for ages.
Beats the heck out of queuing, digging around for change or credit card, digging around for misplaced tickets, etc.
Just beep and go. 😁
Of course, you don't know how much you've spent until you login to the website to check. 😨

I'm glad I've ordered one now because I remember last year and the hassle we had which involved a fairly stroppy staff member having to come to our aid!