Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello to everyone, as the title says I'm looking for rx. The only dilemma that I have is which one of these two to choose, so I need to ask few things especially about the hybrid model. 

1. Does it really drinks a lot less petrol than 350?

2. How to properly maintain it because hybrid technology is new to me and do I need to take it to official dealer every time because I live in Spain and the closest lexus dealer is 60km away

3. Which one of these two is more reliable? 

4. Is it a good choice to buy one with 170000kms or more

5. They have timing chain or belt? 

That's what I can think of for now

I wanted first is250 but considering I'm 1.92m tall and have wife and daughter that car doesn't have enough space 

Thanks in advance 

You might like to look at this link which has covered it pretty well.

I bought a 350 (56 plate) about 5 years ago and haven't regretted it.  Its a great car.  A little more thirsty than the hybrids (I get about 24-28 depending on local or motorway use)(400 is not as good as 450 I think but the differences with the 350 are less than you might expect for a hybrid).  Hybrids cost quite a bit more (in UK anyway) and the difference buys quite a lot of petrol.  Car tax is higher in UK for the 350 but may not be in Spain which would be a plus in favour of the 350. The FWD is also completely different with the 350 being AWD and the hybrids being front wheel drive on petrol with the 4WD added by a rear wheel drive via the electric motor so it effectively alternates between front and 4WD rather like the Honda .  I didn't notice the difference when I drove a 450 recently but others have said that the system isn't as good in snow or mud etc.  There are differences in the geometry and suspension between the 350 and the 400H and some think the 350 is better to drive.  I haven't driven a 400 so cannot comment on this.  Nobody seems to worry much about mileage and many report no problems up to 200K miles. 

Good luck with your choice.  I am sure you will like whichever you choose as they are both very goods cars.

• Like 2

The 400h is a better car than the 350 in many ways. It is easier to drive, rides better, quieter and gets better fuel consumption. The engine is the much the same so maintenance is basically the same apart from the energy recovery systems. The Rx400h timing belt is changed (or should be) at 100,000 miles (160,000 km) so if it hasn't been done, find another one - it's an expensive job.

I've driven both and I'm on my second 400h and when I can afford it I'll look for a 450h.

• Like 1

If a useful/effective four wheel drive system and suspension set up is important to you then the RX350 is better as the 400 set up is quite different and offers less. 350 mpg is less than the 400h but, perhaps surprisingly, not by a large amount. Everything else is down to personal preferences so best drive the two and see which works better for you🙂 The chain cam on the 350 gives peace of mind. 

What is the price difference in Spain between the 350 and 400h?

Thanks a lot for fast answers. There is a difference in price I can get for 11000euros rx350 with 100000kms and rx400h with the same kms is way more expensive. The only thing is I saw many 400h with more than 300 or even 400k kms which to be honest amazed me and I haven't seen almost any of 350's above 240-250k. I don't need 4wd almost at all we have more than 300 sunny days a year 😀. I was looking for is250 but then realized that is way too small inside and having a big dog in the family I was pursued by "family members" to look for an SUV which I'm not a big fan of, but if needs to be an SUV I want to be Lexus (which would be my first lexus). The only thing that puts away from hybrid is as I said the dealer is far away and the hybrid will be a better option for me because I work in Gibraltar and live in Spain and often I get cought by enormous queues at the border 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links