Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Light bulbs for Euro travel

I'm looking for one of those kits with replacement light bulbs for a trip to France next month. However all the commercially available kits have H1, H4 & H7 bulbs, none of which fir a Lexus Rx400h. Anyone know of a kit or have I got to spend a fortune on individual bulbs?

Thanks

38 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Does the thread help at all?

No it doesn't thanks, its all about headlight stickers, speed limits and LS400's. No mention of light bulbs.

18 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I think you will be ok with a universal kit but will need to buy some spare DS2 bulbs for the headlights

Afraid not, manual says HB3, H11 and DS2, none of which are in a universal kit - hence the original question

If your RX has HID headlights then it doesn't need any adjustment or replacement lights as the beam is flat and does not kick up on the left. I'll attache a copy of the Lexus bulletin which is in French and English. 

Lexus advice re headlights in France - anonymised for distribution (French & English).26-7-2014.pdf

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with taking spare headlight bulbs. If I recall correctly they're about £50 each if not more and I also seem to remember that some dismantling has to be done to get at them, so it's not a two-minute job, although I may be wrong there.

24 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

Afraid not, manual says HB3, H11 and DS2, none of which are in a universal kit - hence the original question

Sadly the hid's aren't likely to come in a kit. They also cost in the region of £65 each and really should be replaced in pairs.  If you want to just have spare headlight bulbs it may be worth buying a couple of cheapies from eBay. Also as said, it's not a quick and easy replacement, mine could take an hour each!

7 minutes ago, Gliderpilot said:

If your RX has HID headlights then it doesn't need any adjustment or replacement lights as the beam is flat and does not kick up on the left. I'll attache a copy of the Lexus bulletin which is in French and English. 

Lexus advice re headlights in France - anonymised for distribution (French & English).26-7-2014.pdf 31.47 kB · 0 downloads

Well this is the bit that confuses me. Mine has hid's so I assumed I don't need to worry, but others are saying I do need deflectors!

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

Well this is the bit that confuses me. Mine has hid's so I assumed I don't need to worry, but others are saying I do need deflectors!

I think some earlier 400h cars were fitted with "ordinary" lamps. I can confirm that my beam pattern is flat though.

9 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I wouldn't bother with taking spare headlight bulbs. If I recall correctly they're about £50 each if not more and I also seem to remember that some dismantling has to be done to get at them, so it's not a two-minute job, although I may be wrong there.

It's a legal requirement to have replacement bulbs in Europe, As to whether you can actually use them is unlikely to be of concern to the average Gendarme. I'm thinking of just taking the universal kit and pleading ignorance should I ever get stopped.

They don't need headlight adjusters, just turn the AFS off.

17 minutes ago, Gliderpilot said:

Lexus advice re headlights in France - anonymised for distribution (French & English).26-7-2014.pdf 31.47 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for that, I'll print it out and take it with me 

8 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

It's a legal requirement to have replacement bulbs in Europe, As to whether you can actually use them is unlikely to be of concern to the average Gendarme

Clearly a case of the law not keeping pace with technology.

My RX450h has LED headlights and are sealed units with no spare bulbs being available - and they're over £800 each I believe!

7 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Clearly a case of the law not keeping pace with technology.

My RX450h has LED headlights and are sealed units with no spare bulbs being available - and they're over £800 each I believe!

£800..each! Ouch!  Anyway, my deflectors arrived today so they're going on, needed or not.  I think I'll grab a few old bulbs, put them in a bag and assume that if I'm stopped and asked to produce them they won't understand the complexities of a Lexus!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

£800..each! Ouch!  Anyway, my deflectors arrived today so they're going on, needed or not.  I think I'll grab a few old bulbs, put them in a bag and assume that if I'm stopped and asked to produce them they won't understand the complexities of a Lexus!

Check what you need for your car - if they are regular H1, H4, H7 a 'proper' EU approved kit is £5.00. And it's only the AFS equipped cars that don't need defelectors

22 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

And it's only the AFS equipped cars that don't need defelectors

That's not quite right. The AFS system has to be turned off if it's fitted but it's the HID bulbs that this whole thing hinges on.

HIDs do not need deflectors (as evidenced by the letter from Lexus) but a car can have HIDs without having AFS, so to say "it's only the AFS equipped cars that don't need defelectors" isn't right.

Just now, Herbie said:

That's not quite right. The AFS system has to be turned off if it's fitted but it's the HID bulbs that this whole thing hinges on.

HIDs do not need deflectors (as evidenced by the letter from Lexus) but a car can have HIDs without having AFS, so to say "it's only the AFS equipped cars that don't need defelectors" isn't right.

Anyway, I have hid's, AFS, but now i've also got Eurolite deflectors stuck on, so I reckon I'm covered!....but I will remember to turn AFS off.

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Ah, wasn't aware the non-AFS could have HID - apologies for the confusion

2 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Anyway, I have hid's, AFS, but now i've also got Eurolite deflectors stuck on, so I reckon I'm covered!....but I will remember to turn AFS off.

I couldn't find deflectors for a 400h, where did you get them?

3 minutes ago, rynd2it said:

OK, found on eBay - even shows them fitted to an HID - wonder how it works with them as they have a flat beam?

1 minute ago, rynd2it said:

Ah, wasn't aware the non-AFS could have HID - apologies for the confusion

eBay, ordered yesterday and delivered this morning!  Mine is an LS though, not an RX, although as they are universal it does have the fitting instructions for an RX.

There is NO requirement to carry spare bulbs when you drive in France. You MUST, however, use headlight converters, unless your car has a flat beam - which is the case for all current  Lexus models as well as for the previous gen RX300/350/400h/450h. You SHOULD switch off AFS.

In addition, you MUST carry a triangle, and at least one high vis vest. It is recommended that you carry one per passenger.

You MUST display a GB sticker at the back of your car, unless it is built into your number plate.

It is recommended that you carry at least one, NF approved single-use breathalyser (they are cheap and available from Amazon): you should be able to produce one - if asked - but not having one does not carry a penalty. (It used to be a compulsory requirement, but for reasons I cannot remember, the law was relaxed).

Importantly, radar detectors are illegal and you WILL get fined if you carry one, even switched off. If you have a portable SatNav that shows the location of speed cameras, this facility MUST be switched off. Your Lexus built in system will not show camera locations in France.

See: http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/france.html

(other websites are available, but I have found - after checking with the French Consulate  during a recent visit - that this one is particularly accurate.

Some additional clarity about using mobile phones / hands free kits:

https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/driving/driving-in-france-hands-free-kit-ban-effective-june-30/

4 hours ago, DanD said:

There is NO requirement to carry spare bulbs when you drive in France. You MUST, however, use headlight converters, unless your car has a flat beam - which is the case for all current  Lexus models as well as for the previous gen RX300/350/400h/450h. You SHOULD switch off AFS.

When I lived there is was mandatory, now it is a recommendation: see https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F19459

Tout véhicule doit être équipé de feux en état de fonctionner.

Ne pas respecter cette obligation est puni par une amende pouvant aller jusqu'à 180 €. L'immobilisation du véhicule peut être prescrite.

Si une ampoule est défaillante, vous devez la remplacer immédiatement. Il est donc recommandé d'avoir des ampoules de rechange dans son véhicule.

Every vehicle must be equipped with working lights.

Failure to comply with this obligation is punishable by a fine of up to € 180. The immobilisation of the vehicle may be prescribed.

If a bulb fails, you must replace it immediately. It is therefore recommended to have spare bulbs in your vehicle.

You're correct. I assume that the French authorities must have, at some stage, agreed out at least accepted that it is not possible or feasible to "immediately" changed a failed bulb

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

The breathalyser thing was changed to "non-enforcement" as it was pointed out that you should have two in case you used one. Rather than rewrite the law they decided not to enforce it.

• Like 1