Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Binding Brakes

Hi,

I recently took my car in to Lexus for a routine service (40k) and they said the brakes were binding on the front drivers side. They even did a nice video to prove it. 

Having jacked the car up myself I can confirm this wheel is harder to turn and does seem to be rubbing. I have not had a price of them yet for the work. Would it be covered under the extended warranty?

However I recently had some minor damage on the wheel arch repaired by my insurance company (at their repair shop) which included replacing the front wing and black wheel arch liner. I don't think the damage would have affected the brakes but can't prove it either way.  Could Lexus use this as an excuse not to honor the warranty and would binding brakes be covered under warranty anyway?

Thanks

Paul

Depends where the 'fault' is mate. Might not be faulty and the caliper sliders could do with just a clean. I would try that first. Normally this is the case. *fingers crossed* I doubt if the piston itself has seized.. You would know this once you have the wheels and pads out.

Yes probably just slider pins starting to seize. I'd definitely ask your dealer as this should be covered under warranty. The repair wouldn't have anything to do with it, and the dealer will want to get the warranty work - they get paid for it - so shouldn't look for reasons not to do work.

Recently had slider pins replaced on one of our Toyota due to binding brakes, squealing. The car has extended warranty and they rejected the claim based on mileage as its coming close to the 100k mark. I pointed out to the dealer that it was not a wear and tear item but understand that corrosion can cause these to malfunction. The dealer was more than happy to provide details to warranty dept, if I wanted to try myself. The interesting overall aspect is that the only spanners ever to go near the car have been from the dealership, so with a full dealer history which it has you could argue that the servicing regime has not managed to prevent this from happening.. I did not push but paid the bill...... Its rare I've ever had a claim rejected so wondering if they are becoming more selective. Wil be interesting to know if you do claim with lexus on what the outcome is.... 

I'd like to think at 40k they would be more willing to cover this under warranty than at 100k.

The main issue is that there is no preventative maintenance in the service schedule to stop this from happening. 

Well, Lexus are quoting £777 to replace the offside front caliper and replace both disks and pads. I assume its all four front brake pads as the part listed is L04465-53040 (S74P9 Pad Kit, Disc).

I think I will see if they can do anything under my extended warranty. Only done 33K miles.

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Well, Lexus are quoting £777 to replace the offside front caliper and replace both disks and pads. I assume its all four front brake pads as the part listed is L04465-53040 (S74P9 Pad Kit, Disc).

I think I will see if they can do anything under my extended warranty. Only done 33K miles.

When I have had the same problem (sticking caliper on one side) on a different car the garage said they had to replace the disk and pads as well as he caliper due to overheating and for safety had to replace both sides, so I would assume that the £777 is for caliper, two disks and all pads. Worrying that this has occurred on only 33k miles 2015 car. I have a 2014 car with about 74K miles - all seems ok at the moment though. For future reference would be interesting to know the actual caliper fault - so whether the slide pins or something more serious with the caliper like a sticking piston as I have extended warranty too. Given it's the front wheels then those calipers get more use than the rears where if there was going to be a problem you would think that is more likely as they get much less use.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:38 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

I’ve got the same issue on a 2015 with 37k and extended warranty. Would be interesting to see if Lexus warranty will cover it, Vauxhall did, they took the view that as long as not disc or pads it’s covered. They even replaced springs at 90k which I was very surprised about. 

If you do end up paying for the work to be carried out insist that all the old parts are returned to you. There is no way that with a hybrid car "where most of the braking is done by regeneration" that the discs, pads, and calipers should need replacing at 33,000 miles unless your name is Hamilton. As already said the strong likely fault is nothing more than slider pins beginning to seize.

John.

14 minutes ago, Britprius said:

If you do end up paying for the work to be carried out insist that all the old parts are returned to you. There is no way that with a hybrid car "where most of the braking is done by regeneration" that the discs, pads, and calipers should need replacing at 33,000 miles unless your name is Hamilton. As already said the strong likely fault is nothing more than slider pins beginning to seize.

John.

It is true that normally the pads and disks do not need replacing at that mileage - my car has done some 74K miles and no replacement yet and following the last service report probably not for a good many more miles. However, if one side has been overheated due to a sticking caliper for safety reasons they would replace the pads and disk regardless of mileage and of course if they do one side they should do both sides (disk and pads) for safety reasons as well. The argument with Lexus is over whether the caliper should have seized in that time and if this is under extended warranty - if so the caliper, pads and disks (both sides) must all be done under the warranty claim for the above reasons too. Even if there was some wear and tear reduction for pads and discs at 33k miles you are probably only about 1/3 of the way through their life.

I find it hard to believe the piston in the caliper has seized - Overkill if you ask me, to replace the entire caliper. Try a reliable independant to 'clean' up the brakes and see what happens. On a side note, I upgraded my 300H brakes for the same price using the GS/IS3500 4 piston caliper along with brembo pads and ATE discs (from 296mm diameter to 342mm!) If you want to go the original route import from Japan even with paying duties etc its alot cheaper than Lexus UK

3 hours ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Calliper replaced under warranty and I paid for the new disks and pads so I am happy with the outcome.

I guess that's reasonable even though the discs and pads without the caliper issue were less than half way through their life... 

Disc and pad wear is subjective. 

That said if they claimed discs needed replacing at that mileage due to a faulty (warranted) caliper I would have been asking for a significant contribution towards the cost of replacement. 

Its a shame the OP didnt simply run his finger over the disc on the dodgy caliper side. If it was significantly lipped or scored then yes, discs / pads replacement could be justified but with a dealer contribution surely?

Reading this does only serve to prove that Lexus are refusing more and more warranty claims, even when there may be good cause for a claim.

In the long term it will not give Lexus a good reputation, they have always had a positive reputation regarding customer service, incidents like this will only serve to erode that.

30k miles and a seizure on a calliper is unusual, imho they should have offered a contribution on the wearable items as the discs may have had another 60k in them

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Martin F said:

No it’s not, there is a wear tolerance for both. 

I meant its subjective in respect of how the car is used ,hence they are never warranty items. It was in relation to people saying they should last so and so miles. You can never put a mileage on their wear as you probably know due to different driving styles. 

I meant its subjective in respect of how the car is used ,hence they are never warranty items. It was in relation to people saying they should last so and so miles. You can never put a mileage on their wear as you probably know due to different driving styles. 

If the claim was for just disc and pads then I would agree.
However Lexus warranted a faulty calliper, they can’t honestly say that this item didn’t cause the premature wear of the discs and pads. If they are trying to say that then they live in la la land

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

If the claim was for just disc and pads then I would agree.
However Lexus warranted a faulty calliper, they can’t honestly say that this item didn’t cause the premature wear of the discs and pads. If they are trying to say that then they live in la la land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said in my post above yours further up the thread so agree entirely. That said they could have argued they had suffered significant wear anyway at 33k . 

If I was buying a Lexus approved at 33k for example I would insist on new pads / discs and in my experience on forecourts most cars with this mileage will demonstrate a degree of disc wear. (its difficult to see pad wear) if they haven't been changed anyway. If not at least ask for measurements of whats left.

57 minutes ago, doog442 said:

As I said in my post above yours further up the thread so agree entirely. That said they could have argued they had suffered significant wear anyway at 33k . 

If I was buying a Lexus approved at 33k for example I would insist on new pads / discs and in my experience on forecourts most cars with this mileage will demonstrate a degree of disc wear. (its difficult to see pad wear) if they haven't been changed anyway. If not at least ask for measurements of whats left.

With any non-hybrid car you have a point but with the IS 300h they don't wear at the same rate. Bought mine at 40k miles and now 75k miles and still original disks and pads all round - front discs now have a slight lip but will easily pass 80k miles and probably more

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

With any non-hybrid car you have a point but with the IS 300h they don't wear at the same rate. Bought mine at 40k miles and now 75k miles and still original disks and pads all round - front discs now have a slight lip but will easily pass 80k miles and probably more

Of course, the brake regen thingy. I may well look at a hybrid way further down the line so will bear that in mind when doing my disc lip test on the forecourts. As a matter of fact that has to be a real positive in the ongoing wear / tear stakes as I always factor in pads / discs as well as servicing costs. 

2 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Of course, the brake regen thingy. I may well look at a hybrid way further down the line so will bear that in mind when doing my disc lip test on the forecourts. As a matter of fact that has to be a real positive in the ongoing wear / tear stakes as I always factor in pads / discs as well as servicing costs. 

Yep - definitely a positive on the maintenance costs. Also my tyres seem to last a lot longer on the IS 300h too than any other car I have had - 40-50k miles for the fronts and 30k miles for the rears - can't explain that one though as don't see how the hybrid helps with that...

I could probably have pushed them for paying for the pads and disks as they should not have needed replacing at this mileage. However as I mentioned in my first post, it is suggestive that the caliper that was faulty was at the same corner of the car that was repaired. There is no proof either way that this caused the fault or not, but as Lexus were not questioning this I felt that me paying for the disks and pads was a fair compromise.

At least now I have it fixed and a new set of disks and pads that will last my lifetime of the car.

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.

• Like 1

Mine went in for main service and brake sqeek, they couldn’t find anything wrong, but it has now stopped so they may have done something.At 40k they said they were only 20% worn. 

On 5/24/2019 at 10:27 AM, doog442 said:

You’re not buying a brand new car, all used cars will have a degree of wear, I think insisting they are changed at 33k is a bit demanding.