Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D wont crank???

FloKastl

Hello im new to a Lexus IS220D i bought with some issues (expansion tank for collant had a leak and therfore it overheats) so today i started to change thermostat and put on a new Expansion Tank.

im from Austria and i changed the Thermostat today - to do this i had to remove the "throttle body" and the two connectors to it.

also the connector to the iat sensor was removed.

After i reasambled everything the ignition works normally the button wents to green but then nothing happens it doesnt crank anymore???

I also tried to jumpstart it but no difference?

Also tried the second key knob but no difference...

Has anyone a Idea what i can do?

i dont understand why it starts normally before and now nothing?

yes it always takes 2-3seconds till it starts but it cranked and now sadly nothing 😞

Hopefully some has a idea whats wrong?

i removed the Battery today to charge it over the night so the car is without Battery at the moment maybe this resets ECU dont know if that helps?

Regards Flo

I thought that if the throttle body is removed, the ECU detects the change and would need a reset before it starts.  If you've removed the Battery overnight, this will force an ECU reset so you should be good to go in the morning.

• Thanks 1

Good Morning,

i tried it in the morning i put in the Battery its fully charged but the same problem like before everything works ignition works but it doesnt crank (by the way the Starter was changed by the previous owner a few months ago and it worked fine till i changed the thermostat and unplugged the throttle body on my 220D.

Any Ideas?

Regards Flo

When you mention that the previous owner replaced the starter a few months ago, this makes me suspicious, did he fit a new motor or reconditioned?  Did he do a competent job, I'd be looking at the connections to the motor.  You mentioned a 2-3 second to start time, this is not normal either, I'd be looking closer at the starter motor with your symptoms.

• Thanks 1

ok i will check it.

yes it cranked 2seconds before it starts before but it doesnt sound that it cranked weak so i thought maybe the glow plugs should be replaced but now it doesnt crank anyways 😞

its curious that it happens at the time i disconnected the throttle body /:

Just now, FloKastl said:

ok i will check it.

yes it cranked 2seconds before it starts before but it doesnt sound that it cranked weak so i thought maybe the glow plugs should be replaced but now it doesnt crank anyways 😞

its curious that it happens at the time i disconnected the throttle body /:

I'd put money on a connection issue, hope you get it sorted.

• Thanks 1

Many decades ago on an ancient Renault we had the problem of the starter motor not turning. Just silence. The local garage said the problem was that it was coming to rest at a kind of neutral position where the magnetic coils couldn't get it turning. Their recommendation was to hit it with a hammer. This worked every time. We carried the hammer in the car for this purpose for quite a while. (Please note: - I'm not recommending you hit your car with a hammer!)

• Thanks 1

I found the solution 🙂

really stupid fault 🤣

it was the small connector plug that went to the Starter - when they changed it they damaged the plug so it doesnt secure any more - when i was removing the throttle body i guess i pulled it out cause its on the same harness.

THANKS ALOT FOR ALL THE HELP AND TIPPS 🙂

So now i check if i have a broken headgasket it looks like thats the case cause my co2 tester liquid changed the color when i tested it on the expansion tank - common problem on these diesel engines as i read?

Regards Flo

• Like 1