BMJD

Is this the water pump belt?

I'm just after washing my car and topping up the screen wash and I noticed that this belt is seriously frayed,  it's spilt in two along part of it.  I'm guessing it needs to be replaced immediately, right? Is this something that is likely to have been noticeable for a while? It was serviced by Lexus 5 weeks ago. 

20190516_144822.thumb.jpg.b31d94c16cfc3eb6ad79c8db9465ca06.jpg

I'm not familiar with your model but I would be straight back to Lexus and ask them why this wasn't picked up.  It wouldn't go from good to split like that in five weeks surely.

Forgot to mention it's an IS300h, I was just on the phone to them, they said that it would be checked so it's possible that something got caught in it and caused a tear. It looks more like it is a clean cut rather than worn. I'm dropping it in tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more then. 

Update: I dropped my car into Lexus on Friday morning last. Following an inspection, they advised me not to drive it, and that they won't have a replacement part until early this week. They provided me with a new Yaris in the meantime. They didn't know how much it would cost as they've never had to replace one before. 

I just got a call from the service manager to tell me that they're still waiting for the part to arrive but hope to have the car ready for me by the end of business tomorrow (Tuesday). He said that it appears that the part failed by itself as there was no sign of damage on the pulleys or tensioner, and that they would cover the cost as it has only been 5 weeks since it was in with them for service. 

• Like 3

Good outcome.

Which dealership?

3 hours ago, matt8 said:

Good outcome.

Which dealership?

Denis Mahoney in Dublin, Ireland. 

• Like 1