Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is this the water pump belt?

I'm just after washing my car and topping up the screen wash and I noticed that this belt is seriously frayed,  it's spilt in two along part of it.  I'm guessing it needs to be replaced immediately, right? Is this something that is likely to have been noticeable for a while? It was serviced by Lexus 5 weeks ago. 

20190516_144822.thumb.jpg.b31d94c16cfc3eb6ad79c8db9465ca06.jpg

I'm not familiar with your model but I would be straight back to Lexus and ask them why this wasn't picked up.  It wouldn't go from good to split like that in five weeks surely.

Forgot to mention it's an IS300h, I was just on the phone to them, they said that it would be checked so it's possible that something got caught in it and caused a tear. It looks more like it is a clean cut rather than worn. I'm dropping it in tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more then. 

Update: I dropped my car into Lexus on Friday morning last. Following an inspection, they advised me not to drive it, and that they won't have a replacement part until early this week. They provided me with a new Yaris in the meantime. They didn't know how much it would cost as they've never had to replace one before. 

I just got a call from the service manager to tell me that they're still waiting for the part to arrive but hope to have the car ready for me by the end of business tomorrow (Tuesday). He said that it appears that the part failed by itself as there was no sign of damage on the pulleys or tensioner, and that they would cover the cost as it has only been 5 weeks since it was in with them for service. 

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

My belt failed on me this morning and I ground to a half on the M25 as I was over heating.

The belt was also split along half its length, but the RAC managed to get it back on again, as I think it's a flex one. I.e. No adjustable tensioners.

I managed to get home again, but all the Lexus dealerships are shut. Has anybody actually replaced one of these themselves, and if so, does it have to be a genuine Lexus part or can I get a non OEM replacement, seeing as they are shut?

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Surely a non OEM belt will do until you can get a genuine one.

Not sure, as it is a flex one. It actually states 'special belt' on a label under the bonnet, but that's probably just a 'come buy from us' warning. There are no adjustments for the pulleys, so I presume it is a flex one.

No idea if others are as flex as that one.

Just now, Hammerheads said:

Not sure, as it is a flex one. It actually states 'special belt' on a label under the bonnet, but that's probably just a 'come buy from us' warning. There are no adjustments for the pulleys, so I presume it is a flex one.

No idea if others are as flex as that one.

26 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Plenty available mail order included branded Contitech and Gates.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=3PK860&_sacat=0

Thanks. I'll look. 

When I looked at the belt when it was off the car, it looked like it did have three 'peaks' but it looked like two identical ones and the third was slightly irregularly spaced from the other two. Do you know if that's the case, or something I shouldn't worry about.

Do those belts you've quoted, flex at all, or do you know if there is an adjustable pulley on the IS300h?

That's the part number Shemus. Thanks.

However, It's been superceded by 90916-02742, which is 3pk850 as opposed to a 3pk859 and that 9mm makes all the difference I can tell you, as I can't get the thing on. Any tips please, as I have no skin left on my knuckles? I have removed the top rad hose and the air intake ducting, but it's still nigh on impossible at the moment.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:21 PM, BMJD said:

They provided me with a new Yaris in the meantime. They didn't know how much it would cost as they've never had to replace one before.

I really can't believe they have never had to replace one before. There's a few on here to start with!

Now that the part is 9mm shorter it's almost a garage job now, as I still haven't managed to do it.

Managed to get the shorter belt on in the end today. As a last resort, I ended up hearing it up a little in the oven, just to make it a little more pliable and then with some brute force and a little knack of leverage it over the pump pulley, it eventually went on. Hurrah. I don't think it's going anywhere soon that for sure!  I'll find out tomorrow when I have to do a 200 mile journey ( and yes, I am a key worker ).