Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS 450H no tyres pressure monitor?

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that I do not appear to have the tyre pressure monitor that I can check and view on screen (Dashboard or main screen). Is it not standard in all GS models for 4th Generation? Just curious...

Tyre pressure monitoring is compulsory on all cars from 2012, and an MOT failure if not operating correctly from 2014.

My 2007 GS450H MK3 has this as standard

John.

• Thanks 1

There are two types of tyre pressure monitoring systems, direct and indirect.

Direct - each wheel has a sensor that measures pressure and transmits this to the car. Lexus models differ in how this is displayed. Some display individual pressures for each wheel. Others only have a warning lamp that illuminates should one or more tyres dip below a threshold pressure. This can be a very sensitive system, generally alerting at ~10% deviation

Indirect - the car uses the ABS sensors to monitor wheel revolutions, should one or more wheels show a significant increase in rpm the system assumes one or more tyres are deflating, thereby reducing the rolling circumference. The system will illuminate a warning lamp. A crude system alerting at ~25% deviation

As posted above all cars after 2012 must have some form of TPMS

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Tyre pressure monitoring is compulsory on all cars from 2012, and an MOT failure if not operating correctly from 2014.

My 2007 GS450H MK3 has this as standard

John.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was a way to read the air pressure in real time. but I do not have this on my dashboard screen. I would like to think that I have the direct or indirect tyre pressure monitoring system. I am now looking at my VIN number to see if there is any additional information about this...

24 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

An educated guess Nick yours should have the direct system - can't see it not having it if 07 plate cars had it.

my 04 LS430 has the indirect type system

Hi, well I tried to do a search with the VIN number but there are too many websites claiming they can give you xyz information but at a cost so I thought to simply call Lexus in Edgware Road and they confirm that there is a tyre pressure monitoring system in my vehicle but it is only a general one (not specific to which tyre), so I would need to look at all 4 tyres and judge which one might be affected... At least, I do have a basic monitoring system.

Mine has the direct method, so I can see the pressure of each wheel independently.

It should be viewable if you scroll through the information display between the speedo and rev counter?

37 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Mine has the direct method, so I can see the pressure of each wheel independently.

It should be viewable if you scroll through the information display between the speedo and rev counter?

Unfortunately, mine has not got this available on display... Very surprised to be honest... I am looking at various options to either have one fitted externally with Michelin

https://fit2gotpms.com/product/michelin-tpms/ 

Or have sensors fitted inside the tyres but I would like to know if Lexus would have them fitted and add the display between the speedo and rev counter. Has anyone had this installed with Lexus?

All Lexus models have direct TPMS with valve wheel sensors, but that doesn't mean you will get individual readings - only a warning if one drops 20% below the pressure set when calibrated.

I believe only the Premier grade on the GS is able to show the individual pressures on pre-face lift vehicles. All grades have the feature on the facelift models (2016 onwards).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pressure monitors in the tyres do send out the actual pressures, and the tyre temperatures "even on my 2007", but Lexus cut corners when it came to displaying the available information on the dashboard. The system does not even tell you which tyre has low pressure or in the event of sensor Battery failure which sensor has failed.

In effect we pay a lot of money for monitors that are not being used to there ability for a saving of a few pence to display the information. This information is already gathered in the cars system, and is available at the OBD port!

John.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Britprius said:

The pressure monitors in the tyres do send out the actual pressures, and the tyre temperatures "even on my 2007", but Lexus cut corners when it came to displaying the available information on the dashboard. The system does not even tell you which tyre has low pressure or in the event of sensor battery failure which sensor has failed.

In effect we pay a lot of money for monitors that are not being used to there ability for a saving of a few pence to display the information. This information is already gathered in the cars system, and is available at the OBD port!

John.

How pointless is that!

48 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

How pointless is that!

Hardly pointless as it is positioned as a safety feature and it will warn you there is a problem before a pressure gets dangerously low.

• 2 years later...

i have a 300h poverty spec 66 plate face lift and it does have the tpms display on my info screen,

i think i just press the up button a couple of time to view the individual pressures.

Just throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here,what happened to the good old days when we checked  tyre pressure once a fortnight or thereabouts?🤔gone in the name of technology and progress?🤔 and now an added  item and expense to replace when they go wrong.