Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight yellowing prevention

So it seems inevitable that at some point all headlight lenses seem to start turning yellow. I've seen some really nasty ones on some IS250's and 220's. mine are still in good shape but considering replacing them isn't cheap, is there not a preventative solution to prevent them from yellowing? Like a protection film or something that doesn't effect it's light output. Or perhaps some sealants like you get for bodywork?

I clean mine with liquid metal polish (or paste such as Solvol Autosol) about twice a year, followed by a coat of wax (as used for bodywork paint protection. My 13 year old lights are perfectly clear - car is parked outside facing North-ish.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, james250 said:

So it seems inevitable that at some point all headlight lenses seem to start turning yellow. I've seen some really nasty ones on some IS250's and 220's. mine are still in good shape but considering replacing them isn't cheap, is there not a preventative solution to prevent them from yellowing? Like a protection film or something that doesn't effect it's light output. Or perhaps some sealants like you get for bodywork?

I don't think it is inevitable. If yours haven't gone by now they probably won't. I'm a big believer in this being linked to how well a car is looked after and if you regularly clean your car with decent quality shampoos and waxes/sealants and any previous owners did the same then you're good to go.

However, if an easy fix for cloudy/yellow lights is required then I can recommend ArmorAll Headlight Restorer kit. It's 3 wipes, two for removing the unpleasantness and one for sealing. It really does work and it's about a tenner from Halfords. Naughty chemicals though so mask your paintwork.

Any more severe damage (where the surface of the lens feels rough/damaged rather than just yellow) then you need to wheel out the big guns like the Autoglym kit and your drill. And funnily enough I did my 9-5 today. I'm considering buying the ArmorAll kit again just for the sealant wipe.

vZubxwvh.jpg

PUgvJVrh.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, rich1068 said:

I don't think it is inevitable. If yours haven't gone by now they probably won't. I'm a big believer in this being linked to how well a car is looked after and if you regularly clean your car with decent quality shampoos and waxes/sealants and any previous owners did the same then you're good to go.

However, if an easy fix for cloudy/yellow lights is required then I can recommend ArmorAll Headlight Restorer kit. It's 3 wipes, two for removing the unpleasantness and one for sealing. It really does work and it's about a tenner from Halfords. Naughty chemicals though so mask your paintwork.

Any more severe damage (where the surface of the lens feels rough/damaged rather than just yellow) then you need to wheel out the big guns like the Autoglym kit and your drill. And funnily enough I did my 9-5 today. I'm considering buying the ArmorAll kit again just for the sealant wipe.

vZubxwvh.jpg

PUgvJVrh.jpg

My headlights haven't yellowed yet but i do have some hazy patches here and there. I might give this a try. How often do you need to re-seal the headlights? I like the idea of the headlight clear coat by E-TECH seems like a more long term protection.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, bigbullhead said:

Acrylic polish is the best and put a protector lacquer on afterwards just bought these for my lights

A6D20FF4-FE2F-485F-B96D-5A6C173F969C.png

Have you tried this e-tech clear coat? How easy is it to apply and do you have to west sand and buff it afterwards? 

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from the yellowing, has anyone looked really closely at their lights? I thinkI can see some form of crystallisation going on in the lens.

Is that possible? Has anyone else see that? No matter how much compound I use with a buffer, it doesn't go. 

Funnily enough for me its not something I have experienced as when I wash and polish my car I always apply the polish/wax to my headlights which seem to create a protective barrier 😊👍

I have seen this crystalline effect - and if it develops further it gets to look almost as if there's a brownish web of intertwined material growing inside the lights. But it's all on the surface. Use a metal polish (metal polish which is slightly abrasive, not car polish), rub hard by hand with a cloth or paper towel and it will all go - it needs some serious elbow grease. (I use a liquid metal polish which I bought in Sardinia to rub out scratch marks on paintwork from bushes on a hire car - it worked!). Afterwards use wax polish or wax coating (I use Meguiars three stage wax) and keep an eye on the lenses - you will need to repeat every 6 months or so.

Thanks John. Glad I am not alone.

I am going to try the AmourAll wipes this weekend but I suspect this isn't going to cure the crystallizing and will then go at it with a metal polish like you suggest.

For sustainability, I wonder if a clear type sunscreen would work? Hmmm

I must say that I've never had this problem, maybe as all of my previous cars have had glass lenses..

I've noticed that a lot of lenses now, don't go yellow, but opaque.  This is very noticeable on my neighbours Merc.

It's a wonder he can see anything when it's dark. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to restore them.

Now on my 3rd is220d, sold my 07 last month had to sand lenses to get oxidation off before selling and used Quixx headlight restorer.

Just used the Armorall wipes a few weeks ago on my recently purchased SE-i headlights as they just starting to yellow on the top corners of the lenses, the wipes did a pretty good job, considering no sanding was needed.

However the wipes are only for one application and have a tendency to dry out super quick, so work fast!!

Overall decent job as my headlights look like new, time will tell for how long.