So it seems inevitable that at some point all headlight lenses seem to start turning yellow. I've seen some really nasty ones on some IS250's and 220's. mine are still in good shape but considering replacing them isn't cheap, is there not a preventative solution to prevent them from yellowing? Like a protection film or something that doesn't effect it's light output. Or perhaps some sealants like you get for bodywork?

I clean mine with liquid metal polish (or paste such as Solvol Autosol) about twice a year, followed by a coat of wax (as used for bodywork paint protection. My 13 year old lights are perfectly clear - car is parked outside facing North-ish.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

I used a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit to get rid of the oxidation and then used a UV-resistant clear lacquer top coat to seal it.

I use cutting compound, and then wax them like john. Cars out side facing west.

Acrylic polish is the best and put a protector lacquer on afterwards just bought these for my lights

57B07070-97C2-4CE3-9092-04515A3F3496.png

A6D20FF4-FE2F-485F-B96D-5A6C173F969C.png

2C8C8B7E-8947-40A5-8632-1E6C2E8328D9.png

On 5/17/2019 at 10:28 PM, james250 said:

So it seems inevitable that at some point all headlight lenses seem to start turning yellow. I've seen some really nasty ones on some IS250's and 220's. mine are still in good shape but considering replacing them isn't cheap, is there not a preventative solution to prevent them from yellowing? Like a protection film or something that doesn't effect it's light output. Or perhaps some sealants like you get for bodywork?

I don't think it is inevitable. If yours haven't gone by now they probably won't. I'm a big believer in this being linked to how well a car is looked after and if you regularly clean your car with decent quality shampoos and waxes/sealants and any previous owners did the same then you're good to go.

However, if an easy fix for cloudy/yellow lights is required then I can recommend ArmorAll Headlight Restorer kit. It's 3 wipes, two for removing the unpleasantness and one for sealing. It really does work and it's about a tenner from Halfords. Naughty chemicals though so mask your paintwork.

Any more severe damage (where the surface of the lens feels rough/damaged rather than just yellow) then you need to wheel out the big guns like the Autoglym kit and your drill. And funnily enough I did my 9-5 today. I'm considering buying the ArmorAll kit again just for the sealant wipe.

vZubxwvh.jpg

PUgvJVrh.jpg