Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 S-EL Graunching noise from front strut

My RX300 S-EL is a 2004 UK motor with air suspension. I recently took it into Lexus Lincoln for a replacement height sensor. They were marvellous and sorted my problem out for me. However, I soon noticed that the front left hand strut was making a graunching noise from the top of the strut when I turned corners. I took it back to Lexus for them to take a look at. The mechanic informed me that the top of the strut had worn and the only solution was a replacement strut as they came in one solid piece and the bearing at the top couldn't be replaced. He did however pack it with grease which sorted the noise out for around 3 months. The graunching noise is now back again. If I want to pack it again with grease, do I simply take off the strut cover to gain access, and will any springs launch themselves into orbit if I do? Also, suggestions as to the type of grease I should use? TIA!

I can't remember what to search for but I'm sure someone else will help, but there is a topic about this very thing in this forum. The top bearing can indeed be replaced and the person who created the topic even gave details of where to order them from if I remember correctly.

34 minutes ago, GeoffBrown said:

I'm unable to find the post you referred to Herbie, can you put your finger on it?

Am thinking its the one in my post, just above.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar problem myself a few years back, AFAIK the air suspension struts on the 300 are not the same as those on the 450 and are one-piece items. Independent mechanic I spoke to said that they could grease it as with yours but not replace the top bearing separately.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links