OK I've had a problem today, I've video recorded the sound from inside & outside the car., the only two things showed on the dash moitors was, first thing the Battery light was & is still on, the other thing was quite strange, it said Lights Leveling' , the Battery light is still on but the Light Leveling has gone, nothing else showing, So I recorded the >new< sound I could/can hear from inside first & then outside, so, heres the short vid below on youtube, Can anyone have a guess as to what it is? thanks

Vid, inside car then outside, thanks.

maybe ...............you do have oil in the engine ?   the waterpump nearly dead maybe ?

Malc

Does the noise change if you rev the engine or does it remain constant? 

As suggested are the oils and other levels good? 

Could it be hydraulic tappets? 

The only strange thing is you have the Battery light on. 

How do the lights level, is something amiss there? 

Yes theres oil in, it's not overheated as far as gauge goes BUT I did not run very far....I forgot the power steering seems to be gone, suddenly very stiff to turn when moving.

Battery charge light and no power steering indicates a problem with the drive belt, I suspect the aircon won't be working too as it is a single belt that goes around all of those three.

Perhaps you should take off the flat front Air conduit to the Air filter and you may see whats happening.

Could it be the Power Steering pulley has come lose? You'll be able to see it then. Also it could be affecting the Battery from not charging if your serpentine belt is loose..  Keep you fingers away.   Just a thought.

• Like 1

Now Im more confused, the knocking noise has gone compeletly maybe it's because the engine has cooled down, but I only traveled about 1/2 to 3/4 mile trip to supermarket.

Any way the noise has stopped completely but the Battery lights still on & the power steering is still out, another thing, over this past couple of days the petrol 'estimated range left' info shows about half the mileage that should be on there.  I dont know what the  air conduit is but air con shows that's working, also I did find the coolant was to low so topped that up.

That leaves Colin Barbers suggestion except the air con does seem to be working (lights on) etc

Its crossed my mind that the knocking noise was there in the first vid & has now gone I wonder maybe it's gone because it was a broken belt which eventually has come off & stopped the noise,if so can I still drive it to my mechanic about 4 miles away?

Well it is the serpantine belt, a neighbor saw me under the bonnet when I found whats left of it, he new what it was & also knew the power steering was affected, nothing on ebay for a 99 so I suppose its a Lexus buy

two belts shown, depending on exact age of vehicle manufacture (not registration).

965957878_ScreenShot2019-05-19at21_22_41.thumb.png.cf63b22c7d4bce7790052db00b3928e4.png

I had a toyota celsior, Ls400, It had similar noise, it would go away but then come back, Battery light was on and power steering was heavy, turned out to be the alternator 

Well this seems closest but it seems there were a couple of different ones for '99 &I've no idea what mine is of them......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gates-Drive-Belt-Fan-Rib-Belt-Alternator-for-LEXUS-LS400-4-0-1UZ-FE/371734430165?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144#vi-ilComp

Messi, I don't 'know' but as the Battery lights on I 'assume' the alternator is not charging, but, thats just guesswork on my part

Now that the belt has snapped try turning all the pulleys by hand to see if something has seized up, most likely culprits being the AC compressor and alternator but check the idler and tensioner ones too. 

The replacement belt is a 6PK2230 like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=6+PK+2230&_sacat=0

Hi steve & others.......I ordered these two items as there seems a lot of work involved I was told get it all done at the same time it probably be cheaper & this seems to be a big job taking into account I have a mechanic to pay,

https://bit.ly/2WXAeP4

https://bit.ly/2HLu7ag

so you've decided to have the cambelt, pulleys and waterpump done now  ? ....  an 8hr job and nothing to do with the serpentine belt

The serpentine belt is a 10 min job, the other is about an 8 hr job for sure :whistling:

Malc

Yes cambelt, my neighbour does not know the LS but when I showed him under the bonnet he said that from what he could see (torch) a pro mechanic would not try  squeezing his hands, let alone his arms down there trying to fix something he could not even see properly or get to when he could make money from 2 or 3 simpler jobs, he meant earning money, I don't 'know' as such but it took me about 4 or 5 attempts at getting a photo, download to PC & have to go out again and do it again, theres no space down there, only got this because photo because of the zoom on the camera & even then I had lighten it up with a program

6  groves.jpg

The picture you have taken is one of the pulleys driven by the serpentine belt. this has nothing to do with the cam belt which is a toothed belt and as the name suggests drives the cams and is as Malc mentioned a major strip down of the engine with an 8 hour labour time.

I would also be concerned in that the “OE specification guaranteed” cam belt kit is anything near the sort at that price.

The serpentine belt as suggested previously is at most a 10 minute job, the routing is normally on a label attached to the front edge of the bonnet, yes it is a little fiddly but I do my own.

Have you, as also suggested turned all the pulleys by hand to check for seizing?

The diagrams below are showing how to replace the serpentine belt ( used to be called the fan belt). If you want to see what the cam belt involves look at the link below.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

87AC54AA-C173-4C3C-8E2E-41BFFDF4F529.gif

DB820CCF-FC25-4C36-83B2-6D4EEA70D054.png

56 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The serpentine belt as suggested previously is at most a 10 minute job,

Steve, after reading the above quote I looked to see where you were (Derby's) so do you assume that here in London anyone can wander into >>>any<<< existing garage & tell them they must get the work done in 10 mins or you'll go elsewhere (as you imply is the case where you are) they'd either laugh or tell you to go away, with prolific use of expletives, but, that's London, can people in Derby's just wander into garages & tell them how long they have to do a job or you won't pay them?

Well if they take longer than 8 - 10 Mins to do a serpentine belt replacement on a lexus, it's best if you find yourself a proper mechanic. And the cam belt is about 4 half hour job. I remember someone replacing a cambelt, and pulleys and water pump on my sc430, took him 4 hrs to do it. 

47 minutes ago, messi said:

Well if they take longer than 8 - 10 Mins to do a serpentine belt replacement on a lexus, it's best if you find yourself a proper mechanic

I think you misunderstood my post, mechanics/garages in London would not take a customer on for only 10 mins pay, you simply would not get one here, in my first post I only asked one simple question about recognition of the sound  coming from the car >at that time<, sorry you could not answer what I thought was a simple question, sorry also for confusing some others, I did not intend to confuse you

12 hours ago, messi said:

Well if they take longer than 8 - 10 Mins to do a serpentine belt replacement on a lexus, it's best if you find yourself a proper mechanic.

You mean you know London mechanics who will work to only get paid for 10 mins skilled work?......that's very, very interesting, as you 'know' these London garages by clear implication can you put the emails of one or more of them on here & I will contact them today & past their response here........thank you so much, I look forwards to my pending email interaction with these London mechanics you imply you know/are aware of.

Alan, guys on here are only trying to be positive for you ......  stupid aggression towards contributors is  unwelcome ............... and unnecessary

.............. just saying that any competent mechanic could do this job in a certain timeframe ... what you want to pay for the work to be done is entirely up to you ........  and of course who you employ to do that job and the time you're happy for them to take to do it ............  maybe along with other work you have done at the same time.

Please don't take out your frustrations on people here :whistling:

we like to keep this a happy forum please

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, excellent garage rates of pay for 10 mins work in west midlands, makes me think of migrating there.

Question by email to a west midlands: garage (Ferdotti)

Hi, I have a 1999 Lexus LS 400, can you please give me the price off fitting a Serpantine belt please? Thanks

Good Morning,

How are you? Thank you for your enquiry. The cost to fit your own drive belt would be £57.60 including VAT.

Please let me know if you would like to book this in.

Kind regards,

Vince

Service Team Ferdotti Motor Services Ltd

Tel - 0121 525 6144

Fax - 0121 525 5744

www.ferdotti.co.uk

That would seem pretty reasonable.  It might only be 10 mins work but a garage would usually charge for at least half an hour's labour plus the cost of the part.  **Just seen - "to fit your own driving belt"** They're charging an hour's labour.

If it helps, I popped into Lexus Canterbury last month to see if they had anything to sell or knew of any customers looking to offload a 400 or 430.  They didn't but while I was there I asked for a quote for a timing belt as I may need to factor that into my potential purchase costs.  They came back with £295 😮 It did make me wonder whether they'd quoted the serpentine belt by mistake but if that's all they're quoting for the timing belt then even if you're in North London, it would be worth a trip down the M2.  If it was the Serpentine then it puts the quote you got into some perspective.

11 minutes ago, genius149 said:

That would seem pretty reasonable.  It might only be 10 mins work but a garage would usually charge for at least half an hour's labour plus the cost of the part.  **Just seen - "to fit your own driving belt"** They're charging an hour's labour.

If it helps, I popped into Lexus Canterbury last month to see if they had anything to sell or knew of any customers looking to offload a 400 or 430.  They didn't but while I was there I asked for a quote for a timing belt as I may need to factor that into my potential purchase costs.  They came back with £295 😮 It did make me wonder whether they'd quoted the serpentine belt by mistake but if that's all they're quoting for the timing belt then even if you're in North London, it would be worth a trip down the M2.  If it was the Serpentine then it puts the quote you got into some perspective

Excellent, very sensible & informative post response genius