Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Car Play

Hi all, it appears that over on the american forums, people are saying there is a software update for $199 which updates the LC (and other 2017+ Lexus model) infotainment software to enable apple Car Play.  

Apparently officially released in May 2019. 

Anyone had this update in the UK?

39 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

The vehicles in the US have different systems so an update won't work on European models.

Is it still a Lexus system?  If so, can we hope to eventually get the same.  If not, any technical reason why not?

Toyota/Lexus typically use three manufacturers for their audio and infotainment systems. The US systems have satellite radio, emergency assist, vehicle location tracking, remote vehicle information and service alerts, remote engine start/door unlocking etc. and are therefore quite different even if the same manufacturer is used.

The European systems would need different software development to gain CayPlay or AA - I suspect the current systems are capable of offering such functionality - whether Toyota will commission it is another thing.

19 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Toyota/Lexus typically use three manufacturers for their audio and infotainment systems. The US systems have satellite radio, emergency assist, vehicle location tracking, remote vehicle information and service alerts, remote engine start/door unlocking etc. and are therefore quite different even if the same manufacturer is used.

The European systems would need different software development to gain CayPlay or AA - I suspect the current systems are capable of offering such functionality - whether Toyota will commission it is another thing.

Thanks Colin,  I feel quite short changed about the lack of these features on our cars now!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Colin,  I feel quite short changed about the lack of these features on our cars now!

Yes. So do I ? Why does the US have these items and we don’t ? Just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the response I received from Lexus UK following my query:

Thank you for your email regarding the availability of apple Carplay in the current Lexus model range. 

Lexus GB have been working on adding this to the current model ranges however at this time we don't currently have an exact date as to when this will be applied but it is a matter of importance high on Lexus's agenda going forward. 

Once a date of availability has been confirmed we will of course provide information to our customers advising on when both operating systems will be implemented and also if this will be available as a retroactive update to current vehicles as again we haven't got any dates from Lexus Japan. 

I apologise that I cannot confirm an exact date in this email but I would suggest keeping an eye on both the Lexus website and official blog and also maintaining contact with your Lexus Centre. 

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 8:13 AM, NFB_LC500 said:

Hi,

Just about to buy a LC500. Interested to know if you received any further updates to your enquiry re. Apple Car Play?

Yes. I was told by my local dealer a couple of weeks ago that all models from MY2017 onwards will have apple Car Play retrofitted, as long as they have the Premium Nav system (the wide screen version) - this would include the LC. Dates had not yet been confirmed but they were hoping for October/November.

Hi I’m hoping to upgrade to 2016 RX . I was just wondering is apple CarPlay that superior over the systems that is standard in the RX?

Unless it’s a free firmware upgrade from Lexus , I can’t really see the point in upgrading to apple. Especially if as I have an android phone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just about to become a LOC member as I've just got a new UX (without apple car play)

BUT when registering on My lexus.co.uk, the October edition of the Navi Owners manual document name OM76385E on page 16 it provides reference to BOTH apple Car Play AND Android Auto :)

So may be it is coming...!

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/LEXUS/OM76385E.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 2:03 PM, St Chit said:

Hi all

Just about to become a LOC member as I've just got a new UX (without apple car play)

BUT when registering on My lexus.co.uk, the October edition of the Navi Owners manual document name OM76385E on page 16 it provides reference to BOTH apple Car Play AND Android Auto 🙂

So may be it is coming...!

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/LEXUS/OM76385E.pdf

Dont think the manuals are specific to Europe to be honest. They're the same for the US too so most likely from that. 

Lexus has sorted the licensing issues in europe as its available on the RX now. So i presume it'll come on other models soon. Whether its through software update or when a refresh comes out is another story

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Dont think the manuals are specific to Europe to be honest. They're the same for the US too so most likely from that. 

Lexus has sorted the licensing issues in europe as its available on the RX now. So i presume it'll come on other models soon. Whether its through software update or when a refresh comes out is another story

The manuals are specific to Europe.  I’ve just downloaded the US nav manual and it specifically talks about Enform throughout.  The      new October 2019 manuals are from Lexus EU and incorporate the UK.

14 minutes ago, Habu said:

The manuals are specific to Europe.  I’ve just downloaded the US nav manual and it specifically talks about Enform throughout.  The      new October 2019 manuals are from Lexus EU and incorporate the UK.

Ah so perhaps android auto and carplay are not too far away. They might be brought out as a 2020 MY update 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 1:43 PM, ISJason said:

Hi. Do you think all RX 450 from 2016 onwards will get the upgrade ? Just wondering

Too hard to tell unfortunately. In theory it should be a simple software update. Whether Lexus offers it to owners of cars which don't have it is a different story. They might not, purely because it's a reason to upgrade to a newer model

• 2 weeks later...

Any further news about the update for the LC500

On 9/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, DanD said:

Yes. I was told by my local dealer a couple of weeks ago that all models from MY2017 onwards will have Apple Car Play retrofitted, as long as they have the Premium Nav system (the wide screen version) - this would include the LC. Dates had not yet been confirmed but they were hoping for October/November.

Any further news about the update yet?

4 hours ago, Habu said:

As I’m reading this my centre has just rung to say the same thing.  Software update.

Habu, which Lexus centre do you use?

4 hours ago, Habu said:

As I’m reading this my centre has just rung to say the same thing.  Software update.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, DanD said:

Yes. I was told by my local dealer a couple of weeks ago that all models from MY2017 onwards will have Apple Car Play retrofitted, as long as they have the Premium Nav system (the wide screen version) - this would include the LC. Dates had not yet been confirmed but they were hoping for October/November.

You don’t need CarPlay or android auto, just use the Miracast function which is standard anyway

14 minutes ago, Mudbutler said:

You don’t need CarPlay or android auto, just use the Miracast function which is standard anyway

Good luck using CarPlay with Miracast.