Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Apple Car Play

42 minutes ago, Mudbutler said:

You wouldn’t use CarPlay with Miracast, they are completely independent systems.

Miracast is the same system you use to stream your phone to your smart tv, it’s all in the manuals

Show me how to use iOS mirroring using Miracast.  

• 1 month later...

Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Lexus Sport Plus but, since all the reviews give the infontainment system a severe slating, I was hoping I could get the car with Apple CarPlay. I've read with interest all of your comments and speculation on this. I spoke to my local Lexus dealer the other day and he had no knowledge of whether apple CarPlay might be introduced to new LC500s and/or as a retrofit. I then emailed Lexus UK and they replied that there are no plans to introduce apple CarPlay to the LC500. Considering that apple CarPlay is being introduced into some of the Lexus range I find it remarkable that Lexus's flagship model is not included. If anyone has any better knowledge on all this then I'd love to hear. Thanks

12 hours ago, Barris said:

Hi All. I'm seriously thinking of buying a Lexus Sport Plus but, since all the reviews give the infontainment system a severe slating, I was hoping I could get the car with Apple CarPlay. I've read with interest all of your comments and speculation on this. I spoke to my local Lexus dealer the other day and he had no knowledge of whether Apple CarPlay might be introduced to new LC500s and/or as a retrofit. I then emailed Lexus UK and they replied that there are no plans to introduce Apple CarPlay to the LC500. Considering that Apple CarPlay is being introduced into some of the Lexus range I find it remarkable that Lexus's flagship model is not included. If anyone has any better knowledge on all this then I'd love to hear. Thanks

I did a similar inquiry regarding my LS500. The local dealer had no information regarding the possibility to do the retrofit. Then I contacted the Lexus Baltic (they supply all the Lexus cars in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania). They informed the following: "Based on the responses to further inquiries, we can say that the manufacturer's offer of a solution for the EU LS model Retrofit is under investigation, but unfortunately no further details are expected in the near future."

Thanks. Lexus must know that they have a real problem with the infotainment system in the LC500 (as with all their models), which must surely be affecting sales. Surely in the short term before a better system is introduced, installing Apple CarPlay would be a big help. Sorry if I’m preaching to the converted.

I cannot comment on apple CarPlay as I don’t want it but a lot of negative comment on the infotainment system is made by reviewers who have no experience of the car. We have the latest BMW I drive in another car,which is superb,but having got used to the Lexus system we have no problem at all.

The Mark Levinson sound system is very good,helped by the fact the car is better insulated to exterior noise than,say ,a 911 Porsche.

It is a shame if a great car is dismissed because it doesn’t have the latest tech when it represents such a superb drivers alternative to the usual suspects eg,BMW 8 Series or AM Vantage etc.

Thanks AJ. That's very helpful. I'm certainly not dismissing the LC500 because of no apple CarPlay. It's a bit unfortunate but I can live without apple CarPlay for what looks like owning a great car - and, as you say, it's just a matter of getting used to the Lexus system.

Hi barris,

I think that if you speak to most LC owners they will tell you that the infotainment system is not really that bad, its like most technology it take time to get used to it, most negative reviews are from car journalists who review the system perhaps only having the car for a day or even a few hours, i suppose it depends on how much you are going to use it, i change radio stations, and play music from a memory stick using the controls on the steering wheel, i leave my heating/cooling seats/ steering wheel on auto using the concierge system only adjusting the temperature if necessary, i have a split screen set up with heating controls on the right so if i do for some reason need to override the concierge system its just a matter of moving the pointer to the seat control and clicking the heat/cool icon, the same applies to the heated steering wheel, as for the sat nav i rarely use it, but when i have ,just putting in the post code has always got me to my destination. 

I would pretty much agree with Wendle. I purchased my car to enjoy the exclusivity, V8 power and the quiet luxury in traffic. I only consider the infotainment system as a secondary and not very inconvenient issue.

Having said that, I think that Lexus should offer the CarPlay upgrade at no cost to LC owners. This car is expensive and the flagship coupe should have this feature for those who want it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, DanD said:

Yes. I was told by my local dealer a couple of weeks ago that all models from MY2017 onwards will have Apple Car Play retrofitted, as long as they have the Premium Nav system (the wide screen version) - this would include the LC. Dates had not yet been confirmed but they were hoping for October/November.

On 1/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, Habu said:

Show me how to use iOS mirroring using Miracast.  

Connect phone via usb, activate screen mirroring on your phone and go to Mirorcast and activate there too. For, me, it just worked out of the box, just followed instructions in the manual.

4 hours ago, Mudbutler said:

Connect phone via usb, activate screen mirroring on your phone and go to Mirorcast and activate there too. For, me, it just worked out of the box, just followed instructions in the manual.

I’m aware of what it says in the manual but I’ve never been able to mirror any iOS device to any Lexus I’ve owned using Miracast.  Android, yes, but not iOS.  You clearly can based on your post so can you please add a photo of your iOS device mirroring to your Lexus infotainment screen as I’m interested to see what it looks like.

On 3/8/2020 at 11:08 AM, Mudbutler said:

I tried it on a LS500. Did not work unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

Just seen that the forthcoming LC500 upgrade is to introduce apple CarPlay and Android Auto as standard. I hope they'll also offer these upgrades on existing LC500s? Can't see why not.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I got the same message from Lexus UK that we will not be able to get Apple CarPlay on existing LCs.

That got me thinking - would it not be possible to replace the hardware that controls the infotainment system with the equivalent from the 2020 LC models?

Appreciate that could work out quite expensive (and obviously owners would have to pay), but given the interior layout is the same might be possible. I really would like CarPlay!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum after being a longtime Lexus Enthusiast forum member - a lot of yank content on there so it's nice to see some UK based stuff.

It is absolutely bemusing and downright embarrassing that the LC and LS do not have CarPlay and Android Auto. I understand there was a licensing issue in the beginning that meant it could not be put in initially, but you not have a situation where Toyota Motor Company's absolute pinnacles of engineering have a feature less than an Aygo...it's frankly ridiculous.

I get that people will say the usual blinkered remarks like 'you buy this car for the V8 soundtrack', but that is just being an apologist for Lexus's severe lack of tech competency vs the rivals.

Lexus debuted their new infotainment system with the LC, and now they are saying the same system is not capable of CarPlay yet the identical UX system is? That is a complete nonsense.

Has anyone had any further update on the update for the LC? I noticed that some earlier posts on their thread suggested that dealers did in fact indicate they would be updating the LC - I would love to see how a UX CarPlay update file would behave on the LC.

8 hours ago, Zotto said:

Thanks @Zotto, however:

1. That website is Australian based - totally different market.

2. There are already known upgrade programmes outside of the UK, the issue has always been that Lexus UK are absolutely incapable of giving an answer on the issue of whetherr a 100k car will have the same feature as a 12k Aygo.

The fact that Lexus updates the same year of navigation systems outside of the UK to CarPlay shows that the architecture within is capable of it (despite different hardware manufacturers). Is it just a case that Lexus UK can't be bothered because they've sold so few LSs and LCs that 'who cares'? Don't underestimate that probability as Honda UK did the same with the Legend, suggesting completely incorrect fluid for the rear differential because they sold hardly any of them so didn't really care.

It really is sad, because as someone who is actively looking for a used model, I know that CarPlay will make or break my experience with the car overall. If you are that way inclined, your mind is not going to allow you to simply think 'who cares, it plays music and does navigation anyway' - once you've used CarPlay and experienced the fact it is up to date far more often than the OEM infotainment, you can't go back to instantly outdated maps etc

• Like 1

Has anyone done an upgrade with the aftermarket add-on that keeps the option of the original system (like: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32906314166.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.17.413179daTb7MmX or similar from AliExpress)? I am trying to find a solution for my LS500 that also lacks the CarPlay functionality and I am looking for recommendations here.

I am very skeptical that there will be a retrofit coming in the near future (or if at all) for our cars in Europe.

1 hour ago, KolePaha said:

Has anyone done an upgrade with the aftermarket add-on that keeps the option of the original system (like: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32906314166.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.17.413179daTb7MmX or similar from AliExpress)? I am trying to find a solution for my LS500 that also lacks the CarPlay functionality and I am looking for recommendations here.

I am very skeptical that there will be a retrofit coming in the near future (or if at all) for our cars in Europe.

These systems are usually very buggy and look terrible graphically. I have been around the Android powered retrofit boxes on the Mercedes side and they are buggy as all hell too, overheating and switching off etc

It's a piecemeal repair for something that LS and LC owners in the UK, however few, should be absolutely inundating Lexus UK with complaints for. Like I say, I absolutely refuse to believe that the identical next-gen nav systems in the listed retrofit vehicles will get CarPlay but for some reason, LC and LS will not. It's just a classic case of not giving a s*** because it only affects a handful of people anyway.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just wanted to offer some hope to you all - my dealer (Wolverhampton) confirmed to me that the CarPlay retrofit for LC500/h was delayed by Covid-19 but is likely to land November/December time.

This seems to have been confirmed by Lexus UK in a comment reply dated 27th July 2020 on their CarPlay blog post, so maybe there is hope after all?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 1:27 PM, Stuart-S said:

Hi guys,

Just wanted to offer some hope to you all - my dealer (Wolverhampton) confirmed to me that the CarPlay retrofit for LC500/h was delayed by Covid-19 but is likely to land November/December time.

This seems to have been confirmed by Lexus UK in a comment reply dated 27th July 2020 on their CarPlay blog post, so maybe there is hope after all?

Thanks for the link, I see that only a few weeks after a generic 'sign up for updates' reply to someone asking about LC, they have confirmed it is in the works and coming later in the year.

I see that the TSB for UX, NX and ES has been published with the associated update files.

I wonder if they will ever get around to updating their other £100k vehicle, the LS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 3:27 PM, Stuart-S said:

Hi guys,

Thank you for posting the link. The latest answer (16. sept) from Lexus UK includes also LS:

"The retrofit date for apple CarPlay and Android Auto is model dependent.
UX, ES and NX retrofits are scheduled for October, with RC, LC and LS to follow at a later date."

• Like 1

That is epic news, I'm absolutely buzzing right now that Lexus didn't simply forget their ultra luxury offerings - no matter how small the sales are it simply would be unforgivable to not bother with them.