Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So today I made an error! Took off the solenoid for air intake at 3.6k rpm to make more noise at lower rpm, drove with no problem at all, sounded great, couple of nice blips with the go faster pedal. However, I have now had check engine and trc off lights flag up on the dash. Tried putting the solenoid back on and restarting the car, lights still shining bright on the dash. Do I need to go to a dealership and get this reset/ cleared now?

Yes I'm a idiot 🙂

Dunno but sometimes once the fault “is fixed” the MIL will clear on its own. My lotus threw an emission light once which lasted a dozen starts. Then went away and never came back. 

Did you actually unplug the solenoid or just disconnect the vacuum hose? 

First one will give you CELs, second one won't. 

I've had the vacuum hose unplugged on the ISF for almost 2 years now. Not a single issue. Capped both open inlets with 3mm vacuum caps (after about a week) to keep it looking tidy. 

If you unplug the solenoid you need a remap to tell the Ecu what is going on or you will get the CELs. As Flytvr says, Battery off, leave for a bit, Battery back on. 

Should sort it.

Ask the man @Twellsie too. He may have some useful input on this. 

8 hours ago, designo said:

Can someone please elaborate what the OP did? 

Is there a way to have that intake flap open always?

He unplugged the solenoid so the flap is always open, causing a CEL. 

Should have unplugged the vacuum hose and capped both open inlets. Same result but no CELs. 

I did the exact same thing when I first bought my car. If I recall correctly, you will have to press and hold the ODO trip button while pressing the ignition switch ON, this should do the job! 

Update for anyone interested 😛

Battery disconnected for a few minutes, dash lights all cleared! - Thanks to those for the pointers

Yes I know I should have taken the vacuum hose off, just didn't have anything to seal it at the time so decided to trial it with the solenoid off!

Lesson learned and end caps ordered online (in seemingly excessive quantity???) 🙂

4 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Update for anyone interested 😛

Battery disconnected for a few minutes, dash lights all cleared! - Thanks to those for the pointers

Yes I know I should have taken the vacuum hose off, just didn't have anything to seal it at the time so decided to trial it with the solenoid off!

Lesson learned and end caps ordered online (in seemingly excessive quantity???) 🙂

LOL!! 

Yep. I have about 3 million of them. Only needed two!! 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:59 PM, hockeyedwards said:

I basically 'trialled' with the solenoid off as I didn't have anything suitable to cap the ends. I'll give the battery off a bash in the morning.

Thanks for the tips peeps!

I’m using an Ikea pencil and a cable tie! Keep meaning to find something a little less ‘MacGyver’!

Was doing a bit of work the other day and my mates drill ran out of juice I offered to charge it up for him as I needed to restock on something but he kindly refused!  Probably for the best🙂

1 hour ago, gb1600e said:

Step away from the battery Wayne, Step away! No really, Step Away.

Just for reference, disconnecting the secondary intake valve has been shown to reduce horse power. 

This was proven over at ClubLexus some years back. 

I actually love the noise of the secondary intake valve opening, feels a bit like a turbo kicking in 😉

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links