Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Folks information request.

I have a 2006 RX300 that has a vibration in the front that can be felt through the brake pedal.

I have had the discs and pads renewed allround but this has not cured it. There is a vibration at certain speeds that I put down to wheel balancing but the pulsing through the brake pedal has me stumped.

Any ideas please

So is the vibration only felt when applying the brakes and is it more if braking hard? Were the old discs and pads in a poor condition?

I'd get the wheel balancing done since that needs doing anyway.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have had the wheels balanced twice. The vibration went and slowly came back. I understand that it could possibly be a tyre with a flat spot or something.

The vibration when I brake is something else. At first I thought it was the front discs or pads but they have been replaced allround and when I picked it up afterwards it was not there so I assumed cured. However I have just driven to Spain and back and gradually the vibration on braking came back.

If it is a fault others have experienced then I would appreciate info.

Thanks, Tom

Thanks for the answer. Not sure of the state of the calipers but assuming that when the garage was replacing the discs and pads he would have mentioned the state.

I have noticed it getting. Worse over the last week. Mainly if traveling about 30-40mph and light braking it is quite strong. Will have to put it in the hands of the garage but since I have already spent £500 on disc and pad replacement it is starting to be a money pit.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:00 AM, Tom Fearon said:

Hi Folks information request.

I have a 2006 RX300 that has a vibration in the front that can be felt through the brake pedal.

I have had the discs and pads renewed allround but this has not cured it. There is a vibration at certain speeds that I put down to wheel balancing but the pulsing through the brake pedal has me stumped.

Any ideas please

On 5/24/2019 at 6:34 PM, Jaystar77 said:

What condition are the front brake calipers in Tom?

Good point - sized caliber(s)? 

You could find (as I did!) that a front brake caliper is either stuck in position due to seized sliding pins (fairly easy to sort) or the main piston is sticking (brake fluid bloody everywhere).  This will cause the brakes to behave differently on each side.  Generally if there's no indication of irregular wear on the old discs and pads a mechanic wouldn't dig into it too much.  They should have checked the rubber boots for rips and tears though, and noted how easily the pistons and sliders moved when wound back into the calipers. 

Toyota/Lexus calipers have always been a weak spot for me TBF.  I've done three of four on my RX350.  And both fronts on my mum's Rav4.  And two rears on my track starlet.  And two fronts on my RX300.  And one front on my grans starlet.  And two on my last MR2.  Oh and the starlet before that I needed three.  The list goes on!

• Like 1