Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I can't recall ever seeing this subject mentioned on this forum, so I've cribbed someone's thread (with thanks to CL) from the US forum and am wondering if any member can recall needing to replace /repair the pipe.  I can just see the top of it at the back of the engine. Not a place easy to get at, but this thread is interesting.  It does beg the question why would you have a problem with an engine which supports umpteen Champers glasses which barely a flicker. So why would it rupture?  Posted in 2004 the Car a '91 was only 13 years old. My own is twice that.

Posted January 19, 2004

I've seen alot of posts regarding broken EGR pipes so I thought I'd just make a seperat post. I was able to remove mine, braze it and reinstall it in under 3 hrs total. Alot of that time was some thinking, a trip to home depot for a small oxygen tank, brazing and testing for leaks.

Here is how you do it:

Take a 12mm open/closed faced wrench and tie a 3'-4'string or wire to it. Trust me. Just do it. After you drop the wrench for the 4th time you will know why. You will have to do this blindly. with your hand follow the EGR pipe down until you feel the bracket that connects it to the engine. There is one screw. there is VERY little room and you'll have to reall squeeze to get there. now you know where it is. Now take the wrench to it. put the closed end of the wrench over the bolt and carefully remove your hand leaving the wrench over the bolt. You'll neeed some leverage to break it loose initially. I used another wrench to put the open end of one into the closed end of the other to get more leverage. once you break it loose it's just patience. This bolt alone will run about 30-45 minutes. Once it is off, disconnect the two ends and pull it out the top of the engine.

Once out, I cleaned and preped the TWO LARGE cracks for welding/brazing. I had bought a small Mapp gas and Oxygen set from Home Depot for about $50.00 some months ago and now it was time to get my money's worth from it. If you don't have one of these things, they are very cool and inexpensive. They get VERY HOT You can actually weld with them. I used a Flux coated Bronze rod and brazed the cracks. I put it into water closed off one end with my hand and blew into it to check for leaks. There were none so I reinstalled. I would NOT recommend using JB Weld. It is great for hi-temp but not for vibration.

The only issue is that I have been unable to reconnect the center bolt. I thought that might happen. I'll try again later but I really don't think it is that big of a deal. I have also heard that you can reach the bolt from the bottom of the car as well.

Now that I have done it, it would probibly only take about an hour to do.

How did it work, you might ask. G R E A T! My car is back to sounding like a Lexus rather than a 1973 Ford LTD.

It feels good to finally make a worth while contribution to this great site.

Enjoy,

CL

my EGR pipe was replaced at a Lexus main dealer many years ago by the previous owner .......  I know not why !

the Japanese originating cars I understand don't actually have the EGR pipe

Steve2006 on here might understand more on this subject

Malc

Part of the pipe is flexible and my car's cracked right there due to the vibrations, temperature and age, I would think.

In a UK LS400 it is right in front of the driver and can cause dizziness due to carbon monoxide poisoning when inlet air turned on.

1992.jpeg

Snapshot000001.png.png

2 hours ago, Malc said:

my EGR pipe was replaced at a Lexus main dealer many years ago by the previous owner .......  I know not why !

the Japanese originating cars I understand don't actually have the EGR pipe

Steve2006 on here might understand more on this subject

Malc

You are completely correct Malc...Japanese models don’t have all this emissions rubbish on them as there is no requirement in Japan. 

Apparently the lack of this gives me another 1-2 BHP as well 😀.

I've changed this pipe on my own car and all I can say that if you live in an area where they put salt on the roads in the winter there is no way of doing this without dropping the front exhaust and possibly the intake. The screws/nuts gets seized up.

Pics of my repair:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxgnp5YIUbI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links