Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am half way through our first long trip with my UX - covered about 800 miles so far - mixture of fast motorway from Surrey to Lake District tootling around the Lakes then another run to Snowdonia and a few days tootling around this area.

Overall have been very pleased -averaging almost 47mpg - very comfortable ride - good handling - adequate power for overtaking etc.

However a few niggles some of which have been covered before -

The SatNav is awful - a £70 TomTom works better. The mapping is very poor and the contrast awful to the extent that sometimes when on minor roads you can hardly see them. Imputing destinations is laborious and it occasionally takes the most strange routing.

The auto tailgate seems to have a mind of its own - sometimes opens with a beep other times just opens without. Sometimes will not open with the touch buttons without a lot of fiddling and as for the hands free opening with a foot movement that also has a mind of its own or maybe it doesn't which is why it invariably does not work! 

One thing that I miss is a Speed Limiter built in to the cruise control - cruise itself works fine but having a limiter for use in built up areas was a feature I used extensively on my previous vehicles and probably has saved a few points on the licence!

I'm probably being over picky with some of the above but after years with various Mercedes, Audi and BMW products my first experience of Lexus is overall very positive and I do not regret my purchase at all.

John

If the car is locked when opening the tailgate it does not bleep but I does also unlock the car. When the car is already unlocked it bleeps for open and close. I had problems with the auto opening as I was waving my foot in an arc about the width of the number plate and it was very hit and miss to open. Read the manual and it specifically says the foot should go in and out in a kicking motion in the middle of the number plate. About a 2 second delay then bleep and open it comes or closes every time. Try that and do not forget the delay between you foot movement and the operation.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:02 PM, John Hutton said:

One thing that I miss is a Speed Limiter built in to the cruise control - cruise itself works fine but having a limiter for use in built up areas was a feature I used extensively on my previous vehicles and probably has saved a few points on the licence!

Coming from Mercedes this is the thing I really miss with my RC! I expressed my disappointment to Lexus UK, who were sympathetic but said there were no plans to introduce such a thing. 

A minor niggle in what is otherwise a great car.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a UX for the day while my NX was serviced. I'll be looking to downsize next time so I specially requested the UX as my loan car.

Generally my impressions were positive. I found it drove very well, with decent performance. It was a bit noisier than I expected, but that was almost certainly down to the Bridgestone tyres fitted. I liked the dashboard layout and thought boot space was more than  adequate considering the size of the car. Rear space is poor, but I'd hardly ever use it so no issue for me.

Negatives were few. I think some of the interior finishes are disappointing, especially the door cards which are just too plain and plasticky given the price. And while I'm talking about price, I'm afraid I think it is just too expensive (before discounts). Yes, the Takumi spec has every bell and whistle, but lots I simply wouldn't use. However, lower spec models don't have everything I'd really want. For the Takumi to be almost £4K more (before 4WD) than my NX Luxury (with 4WD) when new just doesn't make sense to me.

It won't be a car I'll choose when the time comes, but that isn't down to the price. I have a disability and for ease of access the UX was just too low. The dealer tells me that a few customers have given similar feedback, which is a bit of a shame for a car I'd have thought would appeal to those looking for a bit more height than a standard hatchback. The Mercedes GLA is about the same, so it isn't a Lexus specific design choice.

My options are becoming clearer. Either keep the NX, which - size apart - suits me very well, or move to something smaller with a higher driving position. The KIA Soul (don't laugh!) may be a contender, as may the Mazda CX-3 or Honda HR-V, all of which are slightly higher and thus meet my requirements. BMW are out (the seat design has always been a major issue for me with not enough support for the hips - I don't like the brand image either) as are Volvo having seen the variable quality of their latest XC40. I've got over a year to decide - but I know I won't be choosing a UX, which is a pity.

First_Lexus - bear in mind that the Soul is only available (with what little availability kia hyundai are giving) as an EV from here on out. If you want one in your "over a year" timeframe you need to order it now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, i-s said:

First_Lexus - bear in mind that the Soul is only available (with what little availability kia hyundai are giving) as an EV from here on out. If you want one in your "over a year" timeframe you need to order it now. 

I didn't know that. An EV might actually suit me - I only commute 15 miles each way four times a week - but the Soul has disappeared entirely from the Kia website whether EV or not.

As I've got older and less mobile, my issue is that most cars with the height and seat configuration that I need have got larger. Cars with large side seat bolsters are out, as are those too short in the seat (which is my issue with BMW seats). A few miles and I'm crippled by them. Mercedes seats seem to suit, as do Honda, Mazda and Lexus of those I have experience of.

I may end up deciding to upsize whether I need such a large vehicle or not! I'll worry about that when the time comes. Keeping the NX may be the most practical solution - it is very comfortable and well made, so I guess I should ask why shouldn't I keep it. Plenty of time to decide yet...

Drove a UX when my MY17 CT Premium was in for service at Lexus Cambridge. Found the UX smooth to drive, quite and comfortable. Good pull from the engine even in Eco mode with no sound of the ecvt reving. Thought there was a bit too much plastic vut overall I liked the car and will certainly consider it as a replacement when I am too old to get into the lower CT.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, First_Lexus said:

I didn't know that. An EV might actually suit me - I only commute 15 miles each way four times a week - but the Soul has disappeared entirely from the Kia website whether EV or not.

As I've got older and less mobile, my issue is that most cars with the height and seat configuration that I need have got larger. Cars with large side seat bolsters are out, as are those too short in the seat (which is my issue with BMW seats). A few miles and I'm crippled by them. Mercedes seats seem to suit, as do Honda, Mazda and Lexus of those I have experience of.

I may end up deciding to upsize whether I need such a large vehicle or not! I'll worry about that when the time comes. Keeping the NX may be the most practical solution - it is very comfortable and well made, so I guess I should ask why shouldn't I keep it. Plenty of time to decide yet...

New one out in a year or so based on the new RAV4

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, rayaans said:

New one out in a year or so based on the new RAV4

^^ That may well be the answer, although I may also decide just to keep what I have. Thanks @rayaansI'll certainly be interested to see a new NX when it is available.

Steve

in my opinion a speed limiter and any cruise control are used for two different purposes. The speed limiter is to stop you accidentally drifting over the set speed limit and possibly getting a ticket or worse. I only ever used to use it in built up areas.

Using cruise control - normal or radar controlled - which is designed to be used on open free flowing roads in a built up area is frankly a dangerous thing to do and something I would never even attempt to try in a built up area.

John

• Like 1