Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Had it 3 days overheating. Foamy coolant but oil and coolant clean ?

Jonah4uk

Hi Everyone

I'm new here . So first of all hi everyone !

First post , first topic but have been visiting the forum for sometime.  Unfortunately my 1st one is a bad one 😞

I'm Craig. I bought my 1st lexus 3 days ago . 2009 is220d ,Nearly dfsh . 122k .

The 3rd day I drove 6 mile for food..then drove 6 mile back . On the way back the car overheated. Temp gauge went all the way to full... 

Got recovered, the next day Ive done all tests etc such as engine up to heat with heaters on max temp lowest setting,expansion open . The coolant started to bubble but not like boiling it was literally like washing up liquid suds and not just a bit alot, when you touch them they are just water and disappear with no residue or greasy feeling. 

The oil is clean (correct colour) both in cap and dipstick. The coolant doesn't seem contaminated, at least by oil. Car doesn't smoke at all out of he exhaust , No visible leaks.1

I'm completely at a loss with this so of anyone has any idea I would love to hear your thoughts? 

And before anyone tells me I know I shouldn't have bought the is220d....coming from a Honda accord I've owned for 3 years that has never had anything go wrong... I'm absolutely gutted this has happened in 3 days 😞

thanks in advance 

Craig 

Ps. Please excuse my grammar. I'm very stressed and trying to get all the info I can remember down.

Don't wish to be the bearer of bad news but the Diesel Lexus ( 220 anyway) has got a history of failing head gaskets!

Hopefully this is not the case with yours but be prepared for the worst.

As you have only had it 3 days then sadly I suspect it was overheating before you owned it, 

Did you buy it private or dealer/trader? If dealer/trader then it is not 'fit for purpose' and should be returned!

How much 'homework' did you do before opting to get the 220 over the 250 say?

do some searching/reading on this site concerning '220' and 'head gasket' to get upto speed with the problem.

paul m.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Texas said:

Don't wish to be the bearer of bad news but the Diesel Lexus ( 220 anyway) has got a history of failing head gaskets!

Hopefully this is not the case with yours but be prepared for the worst.

As you have only had it 3 days then sadly I suspect it was overheating before you owned it, 

Did you buy it private or dealer/trader? If dealer/trader then it is not 'fit for purpose' and should be returned!

How much 'homework' did you do before opting to get the 220 over the 250 say?

do some searching/reading on this site concerning '220' and 'head gasket' to get upto speed with the problem.

paul m.

Hi Paul..

Yes I did so my research and purely opted for the 220d as I was hoping would save me money . My accord was reliable as possible but was only getting about 20mpg. I was hoping I would get a good one. Get it remapped to fix the lag etc. But looks like the first money ill be spending on it will be repairing it. The 250 would've cost me as much as the Honda to run and tax hence the choice of 220d

Unfortunately it was a private seller who is adamant ( obviously telling porkies) that he had no problems previous. He seems like a genuine guy but I guess you never know in the world of selling and buying cars. 

I really hope it isnt the head gasket. I'm so gutted at this point wishing I'd have just kept the honda and dealt with filling up 60 a week

Thanks very much for your reply. 

Craig 

Really need to get a 'sniff' test for hydrocarbons in the coolant done as this is going to confirm the HG failure, personally I can't see it being anything else ( hopefully wrong) and your symptoms sure do indicate a very sick engine!

paul m.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 4:21 PM, Texas said:

Really need to get a 'sniff' test for hydrocarbons in the coolant done as this is going to confirm the HG failure, personally I can't see it being anything else ( hopefully wrong) and your symptoms sure do indicate a very sick engine!

paul m.

Hi Paul 

Sniff test done . No change in chemical so not looking like head gasket or head related ?

Any ideas im at a loss ... maybe faulty egr cooler ?

Let me know guys

• 7 months later...

Likely he put a match to it and won’t go near a Lexus again!!

Shame really because he opted for the worse car to ever wear an L badge and I urge people to do their ‘homework’ before choosing a car simply on the figures for running!

hope it never went bad for him but lack of feedback might suggest he had a bitter taste after getting the news!

paul m