Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

... my wife's RX350 needs a new water pump.

We have been told it's about 9 hours work.

Does that sound OK, should anything else be done at the same time?

( No belt but a chain I believe. )

😪

My '06 RX350se definitely has a timing chain and not a belt and this I believe applies to all RX350s.

Cannot comment on 9 hours but it is a big job because of access. The engine comes out according to the manual.

Mine was done under extended warranty when the engine cover was resealed after leaking oil.

In the USA there has been a major issue with failure of the VVTI oil cooling pipe failing resulting in loss of the engine. The metal pipe which serves the rear bank of the V6 [coming up from the sump to the valve gear] has a short rubber section near the top and it is this which fails. Lexus at Guildford had no knowledge of this problem in this country but renewed my pipe at modest cost while the engine cover was resealed.

There is plenty on this subject on the US owner's club forum but the shoddy attitude of Lexus refusing to carry out preventative work makes distressing reading. Later models have an all metal pipe.

• Like 2

That pipe that Graham mentions is weeping slightly on mine, I bought a genuine one Lexus (circa £75) via Amayama and am just waiting on the opportunity to replace it.

Oh and yes, it's a chain on the 2GR engine so you shouldn't need to worry about it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrahamG said:

Cannot comment on 9 hours but it is a big job because of access. The engine comes out according to the manual.

No it doesn't. Two engine mountings have to be removed but that's all.

Not sure about the 9 hours but yes, it's one hell of a job.

EDIT - forget all that as I was looking at the wrong manual but can't delete post!

SECOND EDIT - now looking at the correct manual but still no mention of removing engine, only the engine mounting brackets.

waterpump.thumb.png.fe79a9a69e68d1c80a6f463aabbae805.png

• Like 3