Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello

I'll be changing the auto gearbox oil in my 2003 LS430. 

How many litres will I need.? 

I'm not thinking of doing the full drain. Just a quick gear oil change because its starting to get rough when changing from the 2nd to the 1st.

Also should I use only the original or are there any alternatives? 

Thanks 

The change of ATF is a required service at 40k but that is for a pan drain and is about 2 litres maximum,basically refreshes the fluid but is rarely done after Lexus services cease. The following procedure is required when mileage gets beyond 150k

A complete change is more intensive and requires around 16 litres of ATF but with  one litre pumped up the filler pipe  replace with one litre new  a run round the block and continue until the ATF is looking pink not brown.

Use Dexion ATF type T-lV

The rough change from 2 to 1 is worrying as the transmission fluid would effect all gear changes if it were bad, that rough change could be a sticky solenoid .

11 hours ago, ambermarine said:

The change of ATF is a required service at 40k but that is for a pan drain and is about 2 litres maximum,basically refreshes the fluid but is rarely done after Lexus services cease. The following procedure is required when mileage gets beyond 150k

A complete change is more intensive and requires around 16 litres of ATF but with  one litre pumped up the filler pipe  replace with one litre new  a run round the block and continue until the ATF is looking pink not brown.

Use Dexion ATF type T-lV

The rough change from 2 to 1 is worrying as the transmission fluid would effect all gear changes if it were bad, that rough change could be a sticky solenoid .

Thanks for that ambermarine 

Do you recon a solenoid is a major and expensive job? 

You can buy the shift solenoids as individual items, the good news is that they can be replaced without removing the transmission (Drop the sump pan to gain access).

Have you checked for any transmission error codes indicating a fault?

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

You can buy the shift solenoids as individual items, the good news is that they can be replaced without removing the transmission (Drop the sump pan to gain access).

Have you checked for any transmission error codes indicating a fault?

That info is correct although on the mark1 gearbox the solenoid could be changed without dropping the pan as I found out when my car got stuck in gear and the Lexus /Toyota dealership changed it while I watched, luckily the car was new to me and under extended warranty with 50 k on it.

The bill came to £250 in 1996.

Adam what is the mileage of your 2003 LS 430, mine is 2002 and just approaching 100k. Had fluid changed, pan dropped at 60k, and touch wood, no problems. Rgds, Roger

2 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Adam what is the mileage of your 2003 LS 430, mine is 2002 and just approaching 100k. Had fluid changed, pan dropped at 60k, and touch wood, no problems. Rgds, Roger

Hi RgrWynne

Mine's 180k.

Ive been told to put it on a computer first as see if anything comes up. Currently there's no warning lights on the dash. 

Still struggling to find a mechanic who'll do the oil change. 

• 4 weeks later...