Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

PARCEL SHELF SPEAKER ON '93 LS400

I don't get any sound from this Speaker. Assume that to turn base knob far left or right is what controls it. Don't have Radio manual.

No noise suggesting damaged cone - just nothing.  Not particularly unhappy as the sound from all other pseakers work and its great to my ears.

However, I can't let things not working, lie..  - unless it calls for removal of seat cushion and back in which case - forget it!

What could be the cause?  Perhaps nothing to do with the Speaker itself?

I can see pinch plastic parts which suggests that the above cover can be removed  and then the bolts should be undoable. Tricky but possible.

Wires seem to be connected OK but perhaps the solder need freshening?

Ideas - experience?

Always start with the easiest/cheapest thing.

What's easiest to get access to, amplifier or speaker? If it's the amp and you know which wires go to the speaker in question, pull those wires off and, using a short length of wire, connect a spare speaker to the amp. You should preferably use a speaker of the same impedance but as long as it's not too far out it should be ok as you'll know within a couple of seconds whether you've got sound or not.

If it proves ok at the amp end, reconnect there and repeat the procedure at the speaker location.

If it turns out to be the speaker itself you don't need an extra-special Lexus-only replacement - any speaker of same physical size and impedance will do.

I did try connecting an alternative speaker and thought I got a spark.  Tried just refreshing the solder joints.

Actually found that I am getting a sound from the Speaker, not quite the boom box I was expecting.

So it seems to work but clearly is not designed to be an elbow out of the Window vibration annoyance to others. 

• Like 1

My original system packed up so replaced it with aftermarket...now has a separate sub amp mounted where the old CD changer sat in the boot....you can hear mine 😀

16 hours ago, steve2006 said:

My original system packed up so replaced it with aftermarket...now has a separate sub amp mounted where the old CD changer sat in the boot....you can hear mine 😀

Remind me not to come to Derbyshire!  lol  😣

On 6/3/2019 at 3:46 AM, runsgrateasanut said:

So it seems to work but clearly is not designed to be an elbow out of the Window vibration annoyance to others. 

I will admit that it is not as good as a Notting Hill Carnival setup, but it sounds pretty annoying to my missus if I am out cleaning the car with the music turned up.

Anything louder in a car is surely going to re-arrange your internal organs, and the purpose of LS is to cosset you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links