Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you replace an 86111-53040 with a 86111-53070 Sat Nav Head Unit?

Hi

My Sat Nav head unit stopped working so I'm looking for a replacement. It's hard to find the 86111-53040 unit but there a few 86111-53070 units. Any idea if the 86111-53070 will work?

I've an IS250 petrol late 2005/2006.

Thanks all.

I have looked into both of the part numbers, but neither seems to match with head unit (one containing the screen) - the part on the screen seems to be 86804-53430. When I search for both codes in your post, they both brings identical head units with or without CD or DVD changer. It seems that 86111-53040/70 signifies the screen itself, but I cannot find either of them in part catalogue: 

image.thumb.png.12deeb550086aa7a041b992083a69bb6.png

My guess (and don't quote me on that) - if you just get whole unit with the screen, then it will work fine. Perhaps there was revision of the screen and if you want just to replace screen there might be a difference.

Personally, if my unit would give a ghost I would replace it with more modern looking large screen unit with android.

Thanks for asking James -

First the Sat Nav screen started to intermittently go off as did the function buttons down each side of the screen and the ones below. Radio below that appears to still work and air con did work, though I couldn't set the temperature unless the screen was working. When on the touch screen worked fine. Took in to Lexus Reading for diagnosis who said the entire unit needed replacing for £2,800. When they gave it back the air con was no longer working. The clock still shows and the security red LED still blinks when the car is off - nothing else, the unit is dead.

• 9 months later...
On 5/27/2019 at 6:13 PM, Craftwork said:

Thanks for asking James -

First the Sat Nav screen started to intermittently go off as did the function buttons down each side of the screen and the ones below. Radio below that appears to still work and air con did work, though I couldn't set the temperature unless the screen was working. When on the touch screen worked fine. Took in to Lexus Reading for diagnosis who said the entire unit needed replacing for £2,800. When they gave it back the air con was no longer working. The clock still shows and the security red LED still blinks when the car is off - nothing else, the unit is dead.

Did you finally get a replacement? Mine also died and I've scoured the internet to find a suitable unit.  Very scared of making the wrong purchase .

• 1 year later...

Overall it is good overview of things to consider, however I would like to point out that JVC, Kenwood, Alpine and other big brands do make Android head units. The problem with them and Lexus IS250 is that Lexus didn't have standard 2din fitment for head unit, well the fitment is 2din, but head unit contains buttons for other functions and it is often more difficult to replace with standard 2din unit from big brands. It is not impossible, but one has to check that all the functions will work after installing one. In simple terms they are generic and only meant to be a head unit and not to house hazard switch of climate control buttons.

The biggest benefit of model specific "chinese" head units is that they are made with specific model in mind and maintains all the functions for that model. Now it is true that some of them have better or worse spec. but most important thing is that even the very very worst and most horrible quality units will be at least 10 times better today, than what Lexus fitted to the cars in 2006. And it is not really bashing Lexus - technology simply changed a lot since 2006 and head unit is most noticeable part I guess where some criticism is due is that Lexus continued to fit outdated units all the way until 2013 and even the unit in mk3 IS is still relatively old-school with poorly designed UX.

In summary just buying any model specific android head unit always going to be massive improvement in quality of infotainment system, it is almost no brainer.