Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential Owner - In Car Entertainment

SimpleSimon

Hi all, I've always been a fan of Lexus preferring Japanese design over German and have found myself recently being drawn to the possibility of becoming a used CT200H owner. Having been a Subaru owner for some years I feel it could be time for a change that will see better running costs and improved comfort. However, having done a very small amount of research I don't see much freedom with regards to the head unit. I currently have an aftermarket head unit with Android Auto which is great for calling, navigating and spotify. What options do I have with regards to the CT200H entertainment system and functionality? I understand Lexus don't support Android Auto and the head unit isn't a generic size making replacement to an aftermarket unit impossible? I'm keen to pursue this and purchase but this feels like a deal breaker. I can't believe Lexus would enforce such limitations! 

Well, the ICE level depends a bit on the exact car. There are at least 3 variants of the radio in the CT200h but none have Android Auto. Mine does have Bluetooth and MirrorLink however as well as 2 USB inputs. You have to keep in mind the CT 200h came out in 2011, long before Android Auto and apple Carplay were a thing. I don't think you would have much success retro fitting a new head unit, especially not to drive the display. It isn't the best but I've found the system to work fine with my Iphone 7, both on Bluetooth and via USB.

• Like 2

Thanks both for responding. If the head unit wasn't a deal breaker I was wondering if the community might be 🙂 

200h (Mark), I did do some online research before posting here and had come across the link you kindly provided. Do you know if any UK members have installed this unit successfully? 

What sort of Subaru wouldnt have been more comfortable than a Lexus CT? The suspension is quite harsh and the relatively high road noise, due in part to the harsh susupension somewhat negates the effect of forking out for a better quality of in car entertainment. If a smooth ride and nice in car entertainment is what you are after and German products dont hit the spot, then i would most certainly focus on one of the larger cars which Lexus produce.

I've had loads of performance cars over the years, including some on coilovers (supercharged Golf R32, Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, Audi S3 etc etc) - so, to be honest, I really haven't had any trouble at all getting used to the ride of my admittedly post-facelift 2018 CT200h.   To be honest, the ride compares pretty favourably to lots of other non-performance cars out there.

I would, however, say that the standard ICE set-up is underwhelming.  There's almost no bass and the maximum volumes is quite limited.  Apparently, the speakers are made of bamboo or something - so at least the eco credentials underscore the rubbish sound. 😉

If you want decent sounds, then it should be worth hunting for a model with the Mark Levinson audio - because there doesn't seem to be much you can do with the standard setup.  

At least Bluetooth makes streaming easy!    

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links