Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

I currently drive a 2017 Volvo S90, lovely car, company car, but my company so fed up paying all the extra tax yada yada. Anyhoo, always wanted an LS, so I'm going to get one when the lease is up in about 9 months.

I'm more interested in comfort and refinement, I get the Lexus will be a step back in terms of tech compared with the Volvo, but the Volvo is a 4 cylinder diesel. Fuel cost isn't an issue, but for £15k I can get a main dealer FSH 460 or 600h and at the end of 3 yrs it will still owe me something.

So the question is, which one? The LS460 seems to be newer, it has Adaptive Cruise and LKAS?? How is the 600h in terms of reliability of its hybrid tech?

Anything else I should watch out for?? I've seen an LS460 SE-L with 65k on the clock, FSH for £10k which is insane!! I was contemplating a S Class too but read too many horror stories of failed stuff, same goes for 7 series and A8's, and tbh, I'm not overly a fan of German cars.

So, anything that will help would be appreciated. Cheers

I just meant the tech would be, the Volvo will steer itself up to 90mph, apple CarPlay, Matrix Headlights, just a few of the things a Lexus of that era won’t have??

Thanks for that, lovely car, is there any downside to the hybrid system in terms of maintenance?? Or is it the same engine just with a motor etc?

15 hours ago, S90 said:

it has Adaptive Cruise and LKAS

you could try the amazingly fantastic Honda Legend for that too with AWD  ......  50% of the price of the Ls at least and a pretty fantastic car to boot  ( that's not too capacious though )

Malc

I came out of a company car 4 years ago for the same reason as you.

My steed of choice then was a Merc S Class (2004 W220), it was brilliant! Wafty/bargy hugeness! Sadly it got written off 6 weeks ago.....so I bought an LS460SEL (2006) more toys than Hamleys and 2 steps up the comfort ladder compared to the Merc.  I contemplated the 600H as well but the thought of a CVT gearbox put me off (for no good reason) plus they are only available at £15k+ in sensible mileage.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I’m leaning towards the 460 for the cvt reason.

Does the LS have 4 corner air suspension?? If so is it fairly robust or does it require a lot of work??

38 minutes ago, S90 said:

Does the LS have 4 corner air suspension?? If so is it fairly robust or does it require a lot of work??

info from this Forum suggests that all Ls ( ex most Ls400 ) have air and they may start to give problems from 100k miles.

Each corner might cost with new parts £1k a time, but 2nd hand may be available ......  I've not read about re-conditioning them at all

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that, neither do I on my non-air ( 2006 ) Honda Legend S-AWD

Malc

3 hours ago, S90 said:

Thanks Jim, I’m leaning towards the 460 for the cvt reason.

They do have Air all round.  From the reading I’ve done it appears that ride height sensors are more prone to failure than the shocks themselves, there are aftermarket versions available that bring the pain factor down should they go pop though.  My Merc had air all round and dropped to it’s bump stops one night, I replaced the pump for £120 DIY, I figure that the lack of depreciation will allow me to budget for more than a few K’s worth of unplanned maintenance.

Rgds

Jim

Here is interesting link on fitting coilovers to a 460.   This would be my preference rather than refurb air suspension. 

LS 460 coilover report

I have often wondered if air suspension could be done with flexible kevlar would it last longer, but I am sure even kevlar would give problems eventually.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links