Hi, anyone know the capacity of the coolant tank? 

1 hour ago, Greer said:

Hi, anyone know the capacity of the coolant tank? 

IT`S IN THE HANDBOOK, OR GOOGLE IT ALAN.

WOW....Thought I was in a BMW Forum for a moment there!

paul m..

1 hour ago, Texas said:

paul m..

That made me chuckle Alan. Only trying to help--honestly!

Capacity is irrelevant really as you only fill it with coolant to the level marked on it.

Hi Alan

It is important to fill the system correctly - the tank under the bonnet is an expansion tank not a reservoir and not for filling the engine with coolant.   Make sure you fill the system using the correct method and clear any airlocks.  The system will not lose fluid and not need topping up unless it has a leak.  Don't be fooled by the level in the expansion tank going up and down - if you keep topping it up it will be vented.

The expansion tank is to allow the coolant somewhere to go when the thermostat is closed and the water pump is working so the level will change.  If too full excess will be vented.

I had fun with this because after a belt change some fool did not put the bottom clip on the rad - the obvious happened.  No damage though (not to the car anyway!!!) - I then became obsessed with the coolant level and the expansion tank level.  I put paper under the car at night to see if there was a leak - there was not.  I ran the car on the drive looking for leaks there were none.  The car warmed up and the temp gauge was always rock steady after it warmed up.

Good luck.

Bren

• Like 1

15 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Capacity is irrelevant really as you only fill it with coolant to the level marked on it.

Incorrect assumption, the capacity is relevant because I want get the rad flushed out and filled with new coolant so I need to know how much to buy, flushing should be done around every 5 years as most coolants have a lifespan around 5 years. However, thanks for endeavouring to answer my simple original question anyway, have a sunny day!.

Original question< ''Hi, anyone know the capacity of the coolant tank?'' 

9 minutes ago, Greer said:

Just the tank or the system as a whole?

23 hours ago, Texas said:

paul m..

Yes......well, non of us get everything right all the time

1 hour ago, Greer said:

Incorrect assumption, the capacity is relevant because I want get the rad flushed out and filled with new coolant so I need to know how much to buy, flushing should be done around every 5 years as most coolants have a lifespan around 5 years. However, thanks for endeavouring to answer my simple original question anyway, have a sunny day!.

from what u now say it seems as though you might not initially have asked the right ( and sensible ) question,..............................but. the " coolant tank capacity " question to which you asked received the simple and clearly correct answer

Malc

I like to help people when I can and I hope that my posting history on these forums bears witness to that.

However, I don't like to 'spoon feed' people and expect/hope that they've done a bit of research themselves first. If they have done so but still can't find the answers they're looking for, then I'll do my level best to help.

While some may think that John's post above (royoftherovers - IT'S IN THE HANDBOOK OR GOOGLE IT ALAN) may have been a little harsh, flippant, or whatever, it's actually very good advice, especially in this case, for the following reason.

@Greer - Alan - I take it you've never done this job before or you would already know the answer and wouldn't be asking the question. If you had done a bit of 'googling' first you would have found all the information you need and more besides. Using the search string "1999 Lexus LS400 coolant capacity" (without the quotes) returned lots of hits, with literally the second hit being this gem from this very forum (if you're not doing the job yourself, skip to item 7):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So.....Googling for an answer to the above OP question brings up 'answers' from this very forum, so by that very same rational then it needed someone to post the question previously for Google to subsequently bring it up did it not? Some of the very best answers come from owners forums ( obviously) and while I am a firm advocate of RTFM this may/may not have been an option in this case. I also recommend doing a search within the forum as starters as like mentioned above you will probably not the first to have come up with that particular question.

paul m.

2 minutes ago, Texas said:

So.....Googling for an answer to the above OP question brings up 'answers' from this very forum, so by that very same rational then it needed someone to post the question previously for Google to subsequently bring it up did it not?

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I stopped at the second hit in the list because it seemed to answer the OP's question more than adequately. However, if that posting had never appeared in this forum and consequently never appeared in the list of Google returns, maybe a hit further down the list would still have answered the question.

I have no control or knowledge of where Google gets its information from - I just wish folks would use it (or a manual) as a first 'port of call' as it were.

I'm not attacking or singling out Alan in any way, merely saying that I have a greater tolerance for, and a greater incentive to help others if they attempt to help themselves first. If they come up blank, tell us that they've looked here, looked there and Googled it but no joy, and at least give us proper information to work with. I mean, being really pedantic about it, what is a "coolant tank"? Expansion tank? Radiator? The whole cooling system?

• Like 1

I think that " coolant tank " was, by us all,  simply perceived as referring to the " expansion tank " was it not ?  the only commonly used description with the word " tank "

I'm not pedantic, nor trying to be other than helpful BUT I do agree that newbies should hark on what is being said here to try to initially help themselves with simple historic searches.

Alan seems to not be on the same wavelength as many of us here as he seems to me ( in my personal simple opinion )  to be treating us with some degree of unfortunate contempt and/or sarcasm for trying to help him on all issues he raises

If I'm wrong I apologise unreservedly but if the cap fits, well, you know my views

Malc

• Like 1

Exactamundo! Totally with you on that and the other 'problem' I have when trying to assist others,via an on-line media, is gauging their level of knowledge/competence in the particular topic, this can be assessed, very roughly, by the correct technical terms used and sad to say but the grammar and context of the written text. I have recently come across a posting that I now use as an example and it explains the need to cover things in a logical and competent manner.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/118801-ls430-knocking-sound-after-brake-job-help/?tab=comments#comment-1082960

• Like 2

I gathered from the heading that Alan wanted to know the capacity of the overflow/ expansion tank/ coolant reservoir fitted to the offside inner wing.

Now clarified I can now assume the question was asking the total coolant capacity ( which yes, will be stated in the owner’s handbook).

Although for the earlier model LS400 ( so there will be some slight differences)  the link below describes the draining, flushing and refilling of the engine coolant. The tutorial uses a particular brand of coolant but Toyota long life is generally the suggested type.

This along with the other link for the tutorial kindly posted should provide all the information you are looking for.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

16 hours ago, steve2006 said:

( which yes, will be stated in the owner’s handbook).

I don't have that Steve, it's an almost 20 year old car, anyway thanks for the link but thats to 1990-94 cars, mines a '99. I'll call Lexus & get the capacity so I can buy the right quantity, thanks anyway

I have a 98 mark 4 which is the same as yours and this is what the owners handbook says;

DSC03719.JPG

DSC03718.JPG

DSC03716.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greer said:

thanks for the link but thats to 1990-94 cars, mines a '99. I'll call Lexus & get the capacity so I can buy the right quantity, thanks anyway

Herbie's first post above links to a very well-written and detailed guide on how to carry out the coolant flushing and replacement procedure on a 1999 LS400. He even states that "if you're not going to do the job yourself, skip to item 7". Having looked myself (just out of curiosity as I don't have an LS400) I can confirm that "Item 7" lists the quantity you require.

If people are going to take time out of their day to help you, the least you can do is to read what they post.

And just to pick up Herbie's point about 'googling', if you enter "1999 Lexus LS400 owners manual" as the search phrase (without the quotes) then the first result that comes up is a sponsored advert by 'emanualsonline'. The next result (the first 'real' one after the advert) goes to drivers.lexus.com where you can download a free pdf version of the owners manual. Alright, it's the USA/Canadian version but close enough and may be of use to you in the future.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, Texas said:

So.....Googling for an answer to the above OP question brings up 'answers' from this very forum,

Do you 'really' mean you do not know the answer to my question?

On 5/29/2019 at 9:58 AM, Malc said:

from what u now say it seems as though you might not initially have asked the right ( and sensible ) question

My apologies, says so much for the mediocracy of my state education of the '50's

Thanks Ambermarine, got it now thanks to you!

1 hour ago, Greer said:

My apologies, says so much for the mediocracy of my state education of the '50's

That`s a poor excuse Alan.There are others here who had a State Education in the 50`s and who would not take the same view !

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

That`s a poor excuse Alan.There are others here who had a State Education in the 50`s and who would not take the same view !

Thanks for trying to answer my question, I already got the info I needed, as you will see if you check my post above yours

• Like 1

I give up  😜