Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

I'm in process of refurbishing my summer rims... and I found out that the TPMS sensors are really stuck on the rims. I managed to get two sensors out normally, but unfortunately the next two ones I had to break down to pieces (the aluminium nut is really, really weak)... So, I need two new sensors 😕

Any hints? Has anybody ordered non-OEM sensors from eBay or amazon?

I do have the TechStream, so I can re-program the car after getting the new sensors...

Br. Sami

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After one day of driving around different tire shops, the conclusion is:

OEM valve from local Lexus dealer: 128€/each

OEM valve from a tire shop: 114€/each

Schrader non-OEM sensor for a tire shop: 40€/each

So I got new sensors to all four wheels 4x40€ = 160€. No worries about batteries in near future 😉

The tire shop was able to copy the IDs from old sensors to the new ones, so I don't even need to re-program the ECU.1356057062_DSC_0015(1).thumb.jpg.4a54593c27d95263896e0b50216fb6ad.jpg

This picture shows the old and new sensors. The new ones seems to have valve stems attached with screws, so they can be replaced later, if needed. Schrader also offers service kits (seal, washer, nut)...

So, case closed (hopefully, I still need to install them to my refurb'ed rims...)

Btw. I also bought OEM service kits for my winter wheels, so I can avoid stuck valves in the future:

55961286_DSC_0014(1).thumb.jpg.4d667997eb5e1dcee00de4eaf6545482.jpg

Price was 10€/each. If the previous owner of the car just would have done this in time...

BR.Sami

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting post , Thank you for the information 

My situation is that i have the tpms error light showing and check system on display . What i am trying to find out is which sensor is at fault as i feel it may just be a low battery 

I currently do not have a techstream setup , i do have the cable but only have a windows 10 laptop

How can i check which sensor is not reading or has low Battery ?

Hi,

The "check system" means that car's ECU cannot read one of the sensors: it could have dead Battery, or invalid ID coded to the ECU, or just wrong position of the tire selection switch (main/2nd).

I'd say the easiest way is to visit a local tire shop: they should have scanners to scan the TPMS sensors one by one.

Another way is to try to install the TechStream to your Win10 laptop. That should be possible, but I've no experience on that. I have an old Win7 laptop with TechStream v12.x (I'd troubles to get even that working, but I managed with instructions in the net)

Br.Sami

2 hours ago, Sami Tilander said:

or just wrong position of the tire selection switch (main/2nd).

hi Sami where can this be located? i read its in the glove box but i still cannot located it. any chance of taking a pic of the location for us? Thanks

for anyone wondering where to find the tyre selection switch this is located underneath the passenger side dashboard on the right hand side..

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've now had these new TPMS sensors for couple of weeks, and seems that they have some issues... Strange thing is that I'll get "low tire" warning every time I arrive to my home. I monitored the sensors with TechStream, and the pressure values are jumping up and down. But only in my front yard... strange. I need to visit the tire shop to check if the reprogramming was done correctly.

BR. Sami

• 5 weeks later...

Update: I worked out the strange "low tire" issue: it was caused by my old/original TPMS sensors (which had the same IDs than the new ones). Seems that even a brick wall was not blocking the wireless transmission from sensor to the ECU 😁.

I'm still investigating one "check system" error which comes always from same sensor every now and then (and disappear after few minutes). Otherwise these sensors seems to work correctly.

I finally got Techstream working and did the TPMS check via the general health check. According to that report it can't read any of them. Is it as simple as all four just need replacing or are there other things to check that could cause these symptoms?

spacer.png

Try erasing the fault codes then try again. Alternatively check the push button switch to the right hand side of the passengers side foot well. This may be set for a second set of winter tyres.

It is possible that all 4 transmitters in the wheels have discharged batteries after 12 years of use.

John. 

Those fault codes will be visible in TechStream even if the ECU can read the sensors. The "Check System" message in the dash tells if there is some active communication problem or not. Clearing the codes will tell which sensors cannot be read right now (fault codes will appear again if there is still an issue).

TechStream also support live monitoring of the sensors (select the Tire Pressure Monitor, and then data list).

BR. Sami

9 minutes ago, cobraBLACK said:

I cleared the codes last night and have had no warning since. I presume they'd come back immediately if there was still a problem, right?

Yes. If there is a problem the codes will re appear. They may take a few minutes as the sensors in the wheels only transmit information in intermittently to save Battery power.

John.

23 hours ago, cobraBLACK said:

I cleared the codes last night and have had no warning since. I presume they'd come back immediately if there was still a problem, right?

When i cleared the codes on mine they did re appear but only after 50 miles or so ? i need to re check just to be sure if they are the same two which were showing no signal before i get the sensors changed 

When I had wrong IDs coded to the ECU, the fault codes re-appeared right after clearing. This sounds more like low Battery or a failing sensor to me...

I just got one of those Schrader sensors replaced as it was triggering "check system" about once a day. That message disappeared after a while, so the sensor was able to send something meaningful time to time... After sensor was changed two days ago, no fault codes since (fingers crossed).

BR. Sami

I recently had a sensor on my GS replaced by a local tyre depot.

They 'cloned' the new one from the one they replaced. When I picked it up the 'low tyre pressure' warning was there.

I took it back and the changed it - but the warning still appeared so back it went.

I left it with them all day and when I picked it up the error message had been resolved - I don't know how although they daid they had cured the problem on their diagnostic equipment..

Within 100 miles the 'Check system' message appeared with the low pressure symbol - so back it went.

When I picked it up they said it was now showing the 'low pressure' message and they don't know why.

I took the car away whilst they said they would investigate the problem with their sensor supplier

Any thoughts/suggestions as to what I should do next?.

4 hours ago, cobraBLACK said:

I've never had TPMS before but I'm starting to think it's more trouble than it's worth. Shame there's no way to disable it.

Fortunately for us that have older vehicles with TPMS fitted it is not part of the MOT test. With vehicles from 2014 the TPMS is included in the MOT.

Happily I find just replacing the wheel sensor batteries seems to be a cheap, and reliable way over the problem when they stop working. No need for re programming or expensive parts. All four can be replaced for around £5.

John.

7 hours ago, Britprius said:

Fortunately for us that have older vehicles with TPMS fitted it is not part of the MOT test. With vehicles from 2014 the TPMS is included in the MOT.

Happily I find just replacing the wheel sensor batteries seems to be a cheap, and reliable way over the problem when they stop working. No need for re programming or expensive parts. All four can be replaced for around £5.

John.

John, Had you had previous experience of using a soldering iron? I believe the batteries have to be soldered to the connectors. I've never been very good at soldering! I suppose practice makes perfect. Also is there any particular brand of Battery better than others. I'm amazed that mine are still working and the car is 12 years old.

22 hours ago, Pewe said:

When I picked it up they said it was now showing the 'low pressure' message and they don't know why.

Where did you put the old sensor? You can easily get "low tire" if the old sensor with same ID is somewhere near the car... 😉

Did you try to do the "Pressure initialization" procedure? That should help after you have checked that the pressures are ok...

TPMS is a good system, when it works...

BR.Sami

11 minutes ago, Sami Tilander said:

Where did you put the old sensor? You can easily get "low tire" if the old sensor with same ID is somewhere near the car... 😉

Did you try to do the "Pressure initialization" procedure? That should help after you have checked that the pressures are ok...

TPMS is a good system, when it works...

BR.Sami

The old sensor was discarded by the tyre depot when the new one was fitted so will be no where near the car.

Am I correct in assuming that by "Pressure initialization" procedure you are referring to resetting the system using the button under the dash?

11 hours ago, JeffL said:

John, Had you had previous experience of using a soldering iron? I believe the batteries have to be soldered to the connectors. I've never been very good at soldering! I suppose practice makes perfect. Also is there any particular brand of battery better than others. I'm amazed that mine are still working and the car is 12 years old.

Jeff yes being an electronics engineer I have considerable soldering expertise. However it is perhaps desirable to solder in the batteries, but it is by no means essential. 

I have found little if any difference between brands of batteries, since testing would take years for each brand it is difficult to be certain. If you can obtain batteries with tags fitted or get the supplier to fit tags this does help with the installation of them, and makes the soldering process easy. Again this is not essential.

John.

• Thanks 1