Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After a bit of advice really its a bit of long read so you've been warned and I'm sorry for boring anyone reading but I'd like to hear from anyone who may have used them.

Right the story begins, I've got a limousine company and had a lincoln town car on a policy covered by Adrian flux under myself and an employee all was going well untill I saw another newer Lincoln up for sale with lower miles better spec etc, went and made a deal and brought the car home. Rang Adrian flux and wanted to cancel the policy because I'd also found a cheaper quote for my business they weren't happy and was quoting ridiculous sums but I declined to pay and came to an agreement to pay I think it was £200 to end the policy

This is were it gets strange, approximately five months after I cancelled and paid my policy up I get an email saying we've now cancelled your policy and can I get in touch with them regarding a claim so I did and was told I'd drove into a parked car I said it's impossible as the car is no longer in my possession and id cancelled the policy five months earlier! They were insistent I pay and got a debt collection agency involved I've repeatedly asked for evidence and were this so called incidents happend but it falls on deaf ears. I've got a lot of emails of proof of correspondence and I defeated one debt company when I explained my situation and told them to get in touch with Adrian flux regarding this matter, anyway there's more! Six months after the last debt company subdued I'm getting contact from another ( would you believe it!) So I'm stuck as what to do next I'm thinking legal action my lawyer is more than willing but it's going to be a cost more than their wanting which is £750, so my question is what would you do? Any help will be very much appreciated. Right now I'm googling Adrian flux to see were the main office is as I'd quite like to have a face to face with the person who thinks it's acceptable to threaten me with bailiffs!

It sounds like they never actually cancelled the policy, ask them for copies of all the related paperwork and get hold of your bank/credit card statements for the period you paid the £200.00.

Did you receive any confirmation of the cancellation?

It may be worth contacting the FOS.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/cancelling-renewing-car-insurance-case-studies.html

It would appear they are based in Kings Lynn so a bit of a trek from Yorkshire.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

After a bit of advice really its a bit of long read so you've been warned and I'm sorry for boring anyone reading but I'd like to hear from anyone who may have used them.

Right the story begins, I've got a limousine company and had a lincoln town car on a policy covered by Adrian flux under myself and an employee all was going well untill I saw another newer Lincoln up for sale with lower miles better spec etc, went and made a deal and brought the car home. Rang Adrian flux and wanted to cancel the policy because I'd also found a cheaper quote for my business they weren't happy and was quoting ridiculous sums but I declined to pay and came to an agreement to pay I think it was £200 to end the policy. 

This is were it gets strange, approximately five months after I cancelled and paid my policy up I get an email saying we've now cancelled your policy and can I get in touch with them regarding a claim so I did and was told I'd drove into a parked car I said it's impossible as the car is no longer in my possession and id cancelled the policy five months earlier! They were insistent I pay and got a debt collection agency involved I've repeatedly asked for evidence and were this so called incidents happend but it falls on deaf ears. I've got a lot of emails of proof of correspondence and I defeated one debt company when I explained my situation and told them to get in touch with Adrian flux regarding this matter, anyway there's more! Six months after the last debt company subdued I'm getting contact from another ( would you believe it!) So I'm stuck as what to do next I'm thinking legal action my lawyer is more than willing but it's going to be a cost more than their wanting which is £750, so my question is what would you do? Any help will be very much appreciated. Right now I'm googling Adrian flux to see were the main office is as I'd quite like to have a face to face with the person who thinks it's acceptable to threaten me with bailiffs!

Have you tried messaging Dan from AF who often posts on the forum to see if he can help?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

It sounds like they never actually cancelled the policy, ask them for copies of all the related paperwork and get hold of your bank/credit card statements for the period you paid the £200.00.

Did you receive any confirmation of the cancellation?

It may be worth contacting the FOS.

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/cancelling-renewing-car-insurance-case-studies.html

It would appear they are based in Kings Lynn so a bit of a trek from Yorkshire.

I've got emails confirming the cancellation, I can do king's Lynn in two hours think I'll make an appointment with someone as I hate email tennis and I'm definitely not a phone conversation lover with someone talking to me like I was born yesterday,I'm just really really angry with threatening letters why haven't they contacted me before paying out this other so called party! 

Adrian flux are a broker aren't they? I've had very good experiences with them with performance cars but sounds like you've had a bad run in! 

As per Steve's comment definately contact the fos, insurance companies have a very specific set of rules they need to follow which is binding in law through an act of parliament. I work in the regulated space. All companies have a duty to act with integrity (a leading principle) and treat customers fairly. The fos are typically pro consumer if the right facts are presented to them. 

Similarly, all debt collection agencies are regulated under the FCA, they have to follow the same rules on redress (dealing with a complaint), they may now "own the debt" if it's been written off by Adrian flux and sold. So threatening you with bailiffs may not be the decision of the flux boys at all 

Good luck anyway 👍 I'm sure common sense will prevail, you'll probably get some cash back too.

Demps

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thedempsey said:

Adrian flux are a broker aren't they? I've had very good experiences with them with performance cars but sounds like you've had a bad run in! 

As per Steve's comment definately contact the fos, insurance companies have a very specific set of rules they need to follow which is binding in law through an act of parliament. I work in the regulated space. All companies have a duty to act with integrity (a leading principle) and treat customers fairly. The fos are typically pro consumer if the right facts are presented to them. 

Similarly, all debt collection agencies are regulated under the FCA, they have to follow the same rules on redress (dealing with a complaint), they may now "own the debt" if it's been written off by Adrian flux and sold. So threatening you with bailiffs may not be the decision of the flux boys at all 

Good luck anyway 👍 I'm sure common sense will prevail, you'll probably get some cash back too.

Demps

They've had no cash from me and they certainly won't be, bit surprised really as they were very helpful at first good phone communication etc,  I did get one email announcing the claim but that was on my birthday and I went away for three weeks I've got the email saved as proof they sent it on my birthday I leave all electronic devices at home when I go away to unwind and explained this to them but by then if was too late they'd already payed the accusing party, i just dont understand how they can do this five month after I've cancelled the policy

5 minutes ago, Northern isf said:

They've had no cash from me and they certainly won't be, bit surprised really as they were very helpful at first good phone communication etc,  I did get one email announcing the claim but that was on my birthday and I went away for three weeks I've got the email saved as proof they sent it on my birthday I leave all electronic devices at home when I go away to unwind and explained this to them but by then if was too late they'd already payed the accusing party, i just understand how they can do this five month after I've cancelled the policy? 

If you have confirmation that the policy was cancelled then it's job done. Send them a copy and tell them you want to raise a formal complaint, they'll have to log it and formally respond within set timescales. If you are no longer a customer then they have no legitimate reason to be contacting you under those circumstances, which is a different regulation entirely (consent and gdpr). You'll be fine, send them evidence and it should get sorted pretty quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thedempsey said:

If you have confirmation that the policy was cancelled then it's job done. Send them a copy and tell them you want to raise a formal complaint, they'll have to log it and formally respond within set timescales. If you are no longer a customer then they have no legitimate reason to be contacting you under those circumstances, which is a different regulation entirely (consent and gdpr). You'll be fine, send them evidence and it should get sorted pretty quickly.

I've already done this and told them to check the phone calls when I cancelled it as they state it's recorded but to no avail! I can show bank statements too which clearly shows when the payments stopped.

I think the problem is they've paid out to someone who's blamed my company and I didnt correspond quick enough so they've paid out now there wanting that capital back.

The issue sounds like they think you have a policy and you don't think you do. There is a UK system of record that all insurance companies keep up to date with whether a car is insured or not, that will be where the other insurance company of the accuser will have got the details from, so something isn't right. You'll have to provide all evidence now to convince them, in absence of a policy cancellation letter which you should have got. So, DVLA confirmation of when you sold the car would be a starting point. Ask them to retrieve a copy of the phone call, and if they can't provide that then ask them what their data retention policy is for call recording, the should be keeping records for as long as is necessary to provide a service, also ask for notes on all systems and accounts. If they won't do this informally through the complaint procedure then raise a "data subject access request", as is your right under the GDPR, make it clear what you want a copy of and for what reason as a justification , this is to ensure it doesn't come across as excessive, which is the only reason they can reject a request.

I'd also raise a complaint with fos in tangent with this on the basis they haven't treat your existing communication as a complaint (from what you've told me), they should be capturing and logging all "expressions of dissatisfaction".

I'm not an advisor by the way, just a fellow car man giving my two penneth on a subject I'm very familiar with. You should of course take the course of action you feel comfortable with....

• Like 1

Customer Ref No: 373317286/13
Mr Wayne 
Ackworth
W Yorkshire
WF7 
Date: 18/07/2018
Dear Mr 
Following the cancellation of your policy we can confirm there is now an 
outstanding balance on your account of £59.16
To avoid delay, if we do not hear from you before 25/07/2018 to arrange payment, 
we will assume that you wish to pay using the card held on file, and we will arrange 
for this payment to be taken automatically. For your reference, we will use the card 
ending in ************6507.
Road Traffic Act 1988
Motor Insurance policy Number 37190923
Policyholder’s name Mr Wayne
Vehicle registration number FE03 OKL
We confirm that the policy to which the certificate relates has ceased to have 
effect.
Notes
This letter confirms that your policy is cancelled. It will be deleted from the Motor 
Insurance Database which is used by the police to enforce the law on insurance 
and if you use your vehicle without a valid policy, you will be committing an 
offence.
Yours sincerely
Jenna Pell
policy Summary
Registration/Chassis No.
FE03 OKL
Insurance Company
ERS
policy Number
Adrian Flux Insurance Services
East Winch Hall. East Winch, King's Lynn,
PE32 1HN
Contact
Weekdays 9:00am - 5:30pm
Saturday 9:00am - 1:00pm
t: 0344 381 6502
f:
e: contact-us@adrianflux.co.uk
w: www.adrianflux.co.uk

This is the cancellation email I got I've edited my address and full name so I think that's proof enough Id have thought.

Of course, I can't see how they are challenging this unless the offence suposedely took place while the vehicle was insured. But if it was definately after cancellation, and the DVLA had a different owner, well, it's a bit silly.

7 hours ago, Northern isf said:

Never seen this I'll look him up hopefully he might pop up.

Almost on a weekly basis Dan from AF will respond to someone's insurance questions so he is a member.

• Like 1

I trust AF BUT maybe not so much their Claims Handling guys nor their Insurance company client ( is it Trinity lane ? )

I'm having a very serious issue right now where they simply have failed, in my opinion, to have looked after me, their fully comprehensively insured client, in what to my mind started off as a fraudulent claim by a 3rd party ................  and gravitated to a suggested and booked Court Hearing date, which I so much wanted and to which they bailed out at the last minute :zorro:

Long 2 year story but the upshot is I must now refer it all to the Financial Ombudsman to review, my option, and I'm deciding whether to go thru the Malta one or the UK one as the Insurance company is Malta registered

Doesn't help you at all BUT if any of these companies are in your scheme of things then BEWARE , they will possibly NOT look after your best interests, just their own in the end

But i did get on well with the AF guys for sure and they have helped all they can I guess !

Good Luck with your issue, they may want to accept liability on your behalf whether or not any of it was down to you, just to make life easy for themselves ......  veritable Bas...ds :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thedempsey said:

Of course, I can't see how they are challenging this unless the offence suposedely took place while the vehicle was insured. But if it was definately after cancellation, and the DVLA had a different owner, well, it's a bit silly.

Well seeing as they emailed me in November saying they've cancelled my policy I'm not sure what's been going on! You can see the date I cancelled above so to email me half way through November saying they've cancelled my policy due to an incident it's just confusing to say the least.

And the car was sold on by then i reckon it's different companies getting there wires crossed.

The policy was cancelled on 18/7/2018

Then was told there was a claim against me at the end of November 

I can't remember what date I sold the car but im thinking it'll be the date I cancelled the policy or maybe the day before it's almost a year and my memory isn't the best

What a mess. Hopefully, to give you some peace of mind, Bailiffs can only be instructed by a court, I haven't seen any mention of a court summons being issued at any point then Bailiffs cannot knock on your door.

It would be in your favour if it did go too court as you could then show the court all your evidence after which the judge has found in your favour AF will end up with all the expenses and any damages the court may feel you should be paid for damages caused by stress and worry caused by them.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

What a mess. Hopefully, to give you some peace of mind, Bailiffs can only be instructed by a court, I haven't seen any mention of a court summons being issued at any point then Bailiffs cannot knock on your door.

It would be in your favour if it did go too court as you could then show the court all your evidence after which the judge has found in your favour AF will end up with all the expenses and any damages the court may feel you should be paid for damages caused by stress and worry caused by them.  

No court summons as of yet but it will be messing my credit rating up I'm guessing, to be honest I'm willing to let it get to a more serious stage as I'd welcome court as it's caused me a lot of stress so no point stopping now especially with how fast they got debt collectors involved before I even managed to contact them because I was away in the middle of Scotland for two weeks with no internet or phone signal ( my choice it's how I unwind on a break as I'm constantly emailing and on the phone when I'm working) not a surprise really were just walking cash machines to these companies.

18 hours ago, Northern isf said:

I've already done this and told them to check the phone calls when I cancelled it as they state it's recorded but to no avail! I can show bank statements too which clearly shows when the payments stopped.

I think the problem is they've paid out to someone who's blamed my company and I didnt correspond quick enough so they've paid out now there wanting that capital back.

Dan, ALL and I mean ALL calls are recorded and have to be by law, no court would rule in their favour if they have erased the conversation, all conversation are kept for a minimum of 5 years for reasons of this nature. Sounds more like an insurance scam from a third party and it’s easier for them to just pass it on to you rather than deal with it themselves.....all insurance companies are charlatans and lower than pond scum! Good luck mate 🤞🏻  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Dan, ALL and I mean ALL calls are recorded and have to be by law, no court would rule in their favour if they have erased the conversation, all conversation are kept for a minimum of 5 years for reasons of this nature. Sounds more like an insurance scam from a third party and it’s easier for them to just pass it on to you rather than deal with it themselves.....all insurance companies are charlatans and lower than pond scum! Good luck mate 🤞🏻  

Took the words out of my mouth on the call recording front.  

Btw...  I work for a certain large insurance company...  Not mentioned on this thread though 🙂

• Like 2

and if there's any element of fraud in all this, which of course there must be, then tell the POLICE .....  they will likely dismiss it as not worthy of investigation however  AND .....  as I said before, take care your/the  insurance company just don't lump it all against you for their expediency ....  they don't always worry about fault or liability, if it moves then they may try to just move it on to you                    and penalise you at your next renewal ( with whichever company you're with at the time )  saying that they have the " right " to act in this manner under some previous clausing in any prior documentation you might have had with them.

TAKE GREAT CARE here, the insurance companies, as I said, can be absolute BAS...ds

Malc

• Like 1