Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CVT gearbox...is there a 'knack' to driving one?

Sloth

17 minutes ago, Sloth said:

Well it seems my car is on the same boat as yours!

Trouble is that the position doesn't seem to update and it looks like I need to subscribe (which I won't) in order to get an updated position?

Am I doing it wrong or is that right?

Welcome aboard!!

It doesn't update that regularly, unfortunately. I'm not subscribed, have you seen the cost!!

Using other tracker sites it would seem the ship is still off the west coast of India, should be arriving in Suez by 09-06

Funny but it gives the final destination as Suez? Are they planning on driving our cars the rest of the way?

Try www.marinetraffic.com - I use this to track yachts my daughter sails on - it updates continuously - also available as an app for the phone/tablet (free if you happy with a few ads or a small price to get ad free). All the apps use the same AIS data from the ships.

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Try www.marinetraffic.com - I use this to track yachts my daughter sails on - it updates continuously - also available as an app for the phone/tablet (free if you happy with a few ads or a small price to get ad free). All the apps use the same AIS data from the ships.

Ok thanks Phil, I'll give it a try.

This waiting is a killer isn't it? 😫

2 hours ago, Sloth said:

Funny but it gives the final destination as Suez? Are they planning on driving our cars the rest of the way?

That's just the next port of call. I remember from my current car. Think it goes to Barcelona after Suez...

Marinetraffic.com is the other site I use :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

That's just the next port of call. I remember from my current car. Think it goes to Barcelona after Suez...

Marinetraffic.com is the other site I use :thumbsup:

And then most likely Vissingen before England......

Ah well there's nothing to be done and we're the lucky ones I think as we only have a few weeks to wait.

I really wanted to be in my new car by 27th June when I go on holiday to Cornwall for a couple of weeks but it's not looking likely is it 😥

15 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

I've just tried this and I can't get a latest position, it just says 'vessel is out of range' and hasn't been updated in 5 days!

If I try to update position by satellite it asks for money!

Am I doing something wrong because non of these seem to give me a current position without wanting my money.

As for 'vessel finder' it hasn't updated since 29th May unless the ships broke down!

I get 01-06 as the latest position update on Marinetraffic  and 29-05 as the latest on Vessel finder. 

Not paid for anything, didn't three years ago either..

12 minutes ago, Sloth said:

I've just tried this and I can't get a latest position, it just says 'vessel is out of range' and hasn't been updated in 5 days!

If I try to update position by satellite it asks for money!

Am I doing something wrong because non of these seem to give me a current position without wanting my money.

As for 'vessel finder' it hasn't updated since 29th May unless the ships broke down!

The AIS signal from vessels and what the default (free) marine apps use has a limited range. It's VHF and so about 20miles (there is a newer system that is starting to use satellites now for tracking). The AIS receivers on land therefore track vessels within about that range offshore. As such, once the vessel is more than about 20 miles from an AIS receiver (so usually from land) it will show as "out of range" and the last tracked position is on the map with the last reported time/heading etc. Once the vessel comes back in range of an AIS receiver the app will show the vessel again in pretty much real time. I just checked on the Toledo and looking at the route it would indeed be out of range but keep checking and it will reappear when it passes closer to land again. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system  for more about AIS.

I don't think there's any particular knack to driving with a CVT.  They are just so smooth and easy to use.

In my experience, a lot better than the old style auto. 

• Like 1

I think once they are out of AIS range they cannot be tracked unless by satellite? It seems the Toledo went dark ops on the 1st June. Won't be able to get an update without paying until it's back in range of AIS which is....I don't know.

That's when you have to pay I think.

21 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The AIS signal from vessels and what the default (free) marine apps use has a limited range. It's VHF and so about 20miles (there is a newer system that is starting to use satellites now for tracking). The AIS receivers on land therefore track vessels within about that range offshore. As such, once the vessel is more than about 20 miles from an AIS receiver (so usually from land) it will show as "out of range" and the last tracked position is on the map with the last reported time/heading etc. Once the vessel comes back in range of an AIS receiver the app will show the vessel again in pretty much real time. I just checked on the Toledo and looking at the route it would indeed be out of range but keep checking and it will reappear when it passes closer to land again. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system  for more about AIS.

MarineTraffic reported on 1st June at 13:30 UTC speed 17kn heading 284 deg and so you can probably extrapolate a course and likely landfall from that if you so inclined...

14 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

MarineTraffic reported on 1st June at 17:01 speed 17kn heading 284 deg and so you can probably extrapolate a course and likely landfall from that if you so inclined...

Looks like AIS will pick it up again as it rounds Yemen into the Red Sea looking at the other vessels in that area - from the speed that should be about 5 days from the last reported position - so around the 6th June - just worked that out from a map and looked at MarineTraffic and it's scheduled to be at the Suez Canal 9th June 18:00 UTC but should be showing position at it goes up the Red Sea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

Looks like AIS will pick it up again as it rounds Yemen into the Red Sea looking at the other vessels in that area - from the speed that should be about 5 days from the last reported position - so around the 6th June - just worked that out from a map and looked at MarineTraffic and it's scheduled to be at the Suez Canal 9th June 18:00 UTC but should be showing position at it goes up the Red Sea

The USS Abraham Lincoln and accompanying vessels are in those waters, so pray for the safety of your new vehicles!!  (LOL)

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

You are such a “doom munger “ John 😜

Doom MOnger, Roger, mi amigo!

I was in the cubs and have therefore always tried to "be prepared".

Off to the Beach for the day, someone has to do it !!

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

Don’t forget your sun cream , while I walk through Caldy Country Park 

Caldy Country Park was washed into the DEE last when gigantic waves from the Japanese vessels avoiding the Doldrums  and carrying new Lexus`s, struck the Western coastlines with a venom not experienced since the days of Darth Trump!!

Have a nice day Roger.

Over and out.

Wow! vessels carrying new Luxus (Lexi?) what are the odds of that happening, I mean it's a 1/100 year event isn't it? 🤣

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The plural of Lexus Neil, is Lexus`s.

Oh, I thought it was Lexuserses?

On 5/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, Sloth said:

Hi, I'm expecting my new ES300h F Sport (Takumi pack) around mid-late June. I had test driven but only for a few miles and not for any length of time or distance.

I'm really looking forward to it but having now driven a courtesy car (UX250h F Sport with Takumi pack) for a few weeks whilst waiting I do have some slight concerns about the CVT gearbox.

It's certainly different to what I am used to (Mercedes C300h AMG Line) in that it doesn't have the traditional auto gearbox feel.

My main concern is the high revs when I put my foot down to accelerate/over take and they don't seem to reduce...ever unless I ease off the throttle? In other words it's like the gearbox and myself are playing 'chicken' in who gives up first and it's usually me by easing off the throttle to calm the revs/noise down.

Now as this is a time tested gearbox I'm wondering if there is a 'knack' to driving a CVT fitted car, especially a hybrid.

Do I really need to use the throttle as a means of controlling the gearbox or should I just accept the high and loud revving when accelerating and hope the revs calm down before the engine explodes!!!

I like to accelerate fairly quickly although I am not a boy racer and don't thrash my cars. Does a CVT gearbox doom me to a life of either slow acceleration to keep the engine noise/revs down or to putting up with the revs and noise?

Am I missing a fundamental driving method here?

The UX is a 2.0 l engine whereas the ES is a 2.5l engine so will it behave notably better/differently or will the same problem persist?

Sorry I haven't read this thread fully, but I have owned 3 different Lexus models and love the CVT gearbox. There is an excellent video by Lexus on YouTube covering driving techniques for hybrids. Well worth a watch to get the best from your new purchase. I usually drive in normal mode and engage 'sport' for overtaking. Don't forget you will have a lot more power with the ES. I had a, 2015 GS300h and that was a great car. I'm told the ES is even better so enjoy.