Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D Rear Parking Brake

Chris_G

Afternoon all.   I've just had an MOT failure on the IS220D for (among other things lol) "Offside Rear Parking brake inoperative on one side - No effort".   I don't have the money at the moment to have this looked at by my local garage, so I'm going to have a look myself (I'm not a newbie to car mechanics, before people wade in and say not to mess with brakes 🙂).  Just wanted to ask the Group though, before I get too far into it - what kind of a job is it (ie - "Easy", "OK", "Pig") to strip down the rear handbrake components ?   I'll only have a window of a few hours to get it sorted before I need to pick the missus up from work 🙂  I'm aware (I think ?) that the Lexus uses separate pads for the handbrake as opposed to an actuator on the main caliper... so obviously more components to check / service - but beyond that I don't know much about what to expect.   OR - is it potentially / generally something more simple, like a broken linkage between the handbrake lever and the rear ?  All comments gratefully received - Cheers. 

There's a pair of brake shoes inside the rear discs that work very much like a conventional drum brake. That's the setup for the parking brake.

You could first try and see if they can be adjusted by removing the grommet and turning the cog adjuster with a screwdriver.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tiger fish has kindly done a tutorial on this which should help you.

Mine was just efficient enough to pass the MOT and I found that removing the drums, giving the handbrake shoes a good rough up and readjusting sorted the problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links