Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dash Cam

Hi, has anyone fitted the dash cam provided by Lexus. Had my car serviced at my local dealer and saw them advertising this for £275 in fitting. I know there are cheaper alternatives, and the lexus one is also made by Nextbase, but just wondering if anyone has fitted this?

Thanks 

Way, way overpriced and paying only for the Lexus name - but you already know that.

It's your money and you can do with it as you wish, but I just hate to see money wasted when there is just no need to do so.

Fitting is very simple and from gathering the necessary tools together, to taking the car on a test run to make sure the camera was placed and recording properly, it took me no more than 20 minutes. Even if you don't want to DIY, any auto-electrician will install it for about £30.

Many, many cameras out there - even other Nextbase models - that are just as good and again, far cheaper than the "Lexus" one.

My own personal favourite one comes from a review that I've posted below, just in case I can save you some money :yahoo:

This guy reviews lots of tech stuff and has done dozens and dozens of dash cams, but this is what he settled on for use in his own car so that should give you an idea of how good they are. OK, the fitting price would go up if you wanted the rear one too, but if you just bought a front camera you could have both camera and fitting for less than half price of the "Lexus" one and have money left over to enjoy something else as well.

Rant over - sorry :laughing:

Thanks guys. Do agree the lexus one is over priced, but still looking into both links sent. Thanks again guys 👍🏾

@pobrown - thanks for YouTube links. Really liking the installation of the lexus one. I know it’s a lot of money, but just looks more factory fit. 

11 hours ago, PRP74 said:

Really liking the installation of the lexus one. I know it’s a lot of money, but just looks more factory fit

Of course it looks "factory fit" because it's got the Lexus name on it and it'll be going in a Lexus. However, that's just the psychology of marketing because everyone knows it's not factory fit and Nextbase even sell the exact same model to the public with the Nextbase name on instead of Lexus.

On the other hand, if you meant that it looks factory fit because it's small, unobtrusive and you can't tell that it's there, the Nextbase/Lexus one is actually the larger of the two.

Nextbase = 58 x 98 x 47
Aukey      = 51 x 77 x 37

I have a next base unit in my 300h, I bought it from Halfords for £89 and paid another £15 for the hardwire fitting kit.

Then spent 30 minutes wiring it in, it was a doddle.

Ok so it doesnt have Lexus on it, but I have £175 in my pocket, and I know which one I would prefer 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pink said:

My Next base. Easy to instal, works a treat. Great quality footage and wireless retrieval to your device. 

0812C49C-D3CB-4DD9-B314-A118DC85900C.jpeg

That's a bit low isn't it?

campos.thumb.png.1c795edaefad1c710c2f54f3ce2096dc.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

That's a bit low isn't it?

campos.thumb.png.1c795edaefad1c710c2f54f3ce2096dc.png

Lower than in my previous car but doesn’t impede any road vision at all from the drivers seat.

You can see in the pic how the dotted sun-shade film comes down quite low in the IS, which is great for reducing sun dazzle but isn’t a great surface for the dash cam mount, hence my positioning. I prefer central placement of the camera but it could be located higher on the passenger side. 

Personal preference or not, you're both more than the 40mm allowed so if some eagle-eyed plod has nothing better to do one day, you may find that it's an expensive preference. And to say that it "doesn’t impede any road vision at all from the drivers seat" is just unbelievable - there must be a blind spot there. My first dashcam was a Nextbase 402G on a suction mount and even as high as I could get it, it interfered with the passenger's view out and to mine as the driver, slightly.

Unfortunately this is a downside of the suction mount because that adds extra length itself. You can see from my photos that my camera is mounted in the dotted sun-shade area and the lens just pokes out below it, and the bottom of the camera itself is higher than the bottom of the rear-view mirror so well out of sight and clear driver's view.

An unexpected bonus is that it's hardly visible from outside the car at all, so it can be left in position 24/7 without advertising its presence to any local scrotes.

IMG_20190604_145820.thumb.jpg.2a558fd325edca17f78d70c4097fd898.jpgIMG_20190604_145830.thumb.jpg.1dd794805220b9b92d6363a6ac8c090f.jpg

I paid £110 for a viofo unit that got great reviews, very pleased and reasonably stealthy.... Front one just squeezes in next to the rain sensor.

20190606_065423_HDR.jpg

20190606_065435_HDR.jpg

20190606_065443_HDR.jpg

48 minutes ago, darrude said:

I paid £110 for a viofo unit that got great reviews, very pleased and reasonably stealthy

I didn't realise that Viofo do a dual channel system so that's good to know, thanks.

50 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I didn't realise that Viofo do a dual channel system so that's good to know, thanks.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/viofo-a129-dual-channel-front-and-rear-dash-cam-10180-banggood-3173912

only negative is the cable to the rear cam is really thick and not very flexible 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was trying to fit a nextbase 422 hardwired to my CT200h but almost at the end of the fitting, the fitters told me the power from my hybrid Battery was too high for the dash cam. Still looking for another option for rear and front view dash cams as the one from Lexus is just for the front and way too expensive. Please can anyone help? Thank you.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Lexus CT200h said:

I was trying to fit a nextbase 422 hardwired to my CT200h but almost at the end of the fitting, the fitters told me the power from my hybrid battery was too high for the dash cam. Still looking for another option for rear and front view dash cams as the one from Lexus is just for the front and way too expensive. Please can anyone help? Thank you.

See your other thread...

I was trying to fit a nextbase 422 hardwired to my CT200h but almost at the end of the fitting, the fitters told me the power from my hybrid battery was too high for the dash cam. Still looking for another option for rear and front view dash cams as the one from Lexus is just for the front and way too expensive. Please can anyone help? Thank you.

What!!!!!

The accessories circuits are normal 12v, if they are trying to wire it into the hybrid circuit or believe that the car is rated at 200+volts then I would ask them to step away from their tools and stop calling themselves fitters.

My nextbase is hardwired into my 300h with no issue at all

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lexus CT200h said:

Absolute rubbish!

All dashcams work on 5V so you need either a cigarette lighter USB adapter or for a better and permanent job you need a hardwire kit that wires into the fusebox - either way, it takes the car's 12V supply and brings it down to 5V for the camera.

This is nothing whatsoever to do with the hybrid side of things so please rest assured that the Nextbase 422 will happily work in your CT200h.

Above all, please promise that you will NEVER go back to those fitters and NEVER use them again for anything!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links