Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Those of you with long memories may recall that I bought my LS600h from Lexus Stoke back in August last year. It had done around 100k and was sold with a full 3 year Lexus warranty and a full 3 year service plan. In my ownership so far, it has had a minor service (at 110k miles) but nothing has gone awry until a few weeks ago when I started to notice an uncharacteristic rumbling noise under acceleration (difficult to hear but quite distinct).

Anyway, fast forward to this weekend, and I've just got the car back from Lexus Stoke following a major service at 120k miles. As part of the service, I had two new front tyres and they replaced half of the exhaust (the back box on one side and associated other bits and pieces). It had developed a large hole on the top of the box (which explained the noise). Neither of these items were covered by the warranty (no surprise) so I am a few £ lighter but peace is restored to the Lexus and it is driving like new again. I didn't skimp on the tyres either (they put Bridgestone Potenza which I hope will meet with your approval). They also replaced the earthing strap on the underside of the gearbox which had corroded. 

So, all set up for another year of happy motoring in what is undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned. 

I'd be interested to know how other LS600 owners are getting on with their cars. I'm still in a quandary about what to do in 18-24 months time. This car is fantastic and has a literally full service history with Lexus (which will be maintained by myself). No one else has touched it. It is a nice problem to think about and plan for so any ideas welcomed!

• Like 4

Isn't it always the way you buy insurance only to find that that bits not included. Do they not have a stainless steel exhaust on the LS600?

Carry on enjoying her.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

Isn't it always the way you buy insurance only to find that that bits not included. Do they not have a stainless steel exhaust on the LS600?

Carry on enjoying her.

Not sure about the exhaust but it definitely had a big hole in it!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Not sure about the exhaust but it definitely had a big hole in it!

tell us the year of manufacture  JP and we may be able to find out if a s/s exhaust was fitted as standard.

Glad you like the car.

You mentioned the tyres. Keep an eye on them. Just had my car MOT tested, and was advised that all four Potenzas had age related cracking in the tread pattern. All four were fitted by the previous owner about 18 months and 6k ago. The manufacture date on the sidewall shows the rears as 4216 and the fronts, 3216, so very late 2016. Fronts are 7mm, rears, 5.5mm. I check the pressures  every 2 weeks, so no under inflation etc.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement! And the MOT history looks like I don't look after it, as it only mentions the cracks, not the tread depth.

Research does suggest it's a common problem! In the past I've only replaced at 3mm, 7mm is a disgrace.

Glad you like the car.
You mentioned the tyres. Keep an eye on them. Just had my car MOT tested, and was advised that all four Potenzas had age related cracking in the tread pattern. All four were fitted by the previous owner about 18 months and 6k ago. The manufacture date on the sidewall shows the rears as 4216 and the fronts, 3216, so very late 2016. Fronts are 7mm, rears, 5.5mm. I check the pressures  every 2 weeks, so no under inflation etc.
To say I'm annoyed is an understatement! And the MOT history looks like I don't look after it, as it only mentions the cracks, not the tread depth.
Research does suggest it's a common problem! In the past I've only replaced at 3mm, 7mm is a disgrace.

That's not good. Sorry to hear about that. Given that the tyres were fitted by a Lexus main dealer, hopefully they have not sat around in their cupboard for 3 years! Not sure how to tell their date though.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

• On the side wall of the tyre. Look for the letters DOT. Following that there should be a box with numbers. 4216 denotes the 42nd week of the year 2016 for example.
  • Looking at your mileage you should wear them out before they crack!

The LS600h was the flagship model, so I really don't think Lexus would fit a basic stainless steel (which can rust) exhaust in preference to a 'proper' grade of stainless with higher chrome content and the OP has already said that "It had developed a large hole on the top of the box" which rules out stone damage or other physical cause, which leads me to believe that it's not a stainless steel exhaust system.

If that assumption is true, I would have gone for a custom-made stainless system which would have been guaranteed for the life of the car and probably cost less than what Lexus have charged for a part system.

The stainless steel exhaust system was exclusive to the LS400 and the first deveation from this was on the ls430 which had mild steel back boxes .The cost of a complete system was probably a factor in the decision as Lexus were now paring the production costs of later models having established itself in the market place.

As for the rest of the Lexus range it would be interesting to know how much of a stainless steel content there is in the exhaust system.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The LS600h was the flagship model, so I really don't think Lexus would fit a basic stainless steel (which can rust) exhaust in preference to a 'proper' grade of stainless with higher chrome content and the OP has already said that "It had developed a large hole on the top of the box" which rules out stone damage or other physical cause, which leads me to believe that it's not a stainless steel exhaust system.

If that assumption is true, I would have gone for a custom-made stainless system which would have been guaranteed for the life of the car and probably cost less than what Lexus have charged for a part system.

Nice idea, but I don't think you'd get anywhere near a whole exhaust system for around £260 ex VAT which is what the back box on one side cost me. Also, I'm keen to preserve the car with original Lexus parts throughout my ownership. The history of the car prior to me taking it on is immaculate in that respect and it will stay that way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Also, I'm keen to preserve the car with original Lexus parts throughout my ownership.

Fair enough, but you do know that Lexus/Toyota don't make exhausts, tyres, batteries, wipers and suchlike don't you? They just buy in from whoever does make them, put their markup on and then sell to you. If you ever needed it (hopefully not) you could get, say, a genuine Lexus camshaft because they do make the engine, but not items like above.

And yes, probably way out on pricing but I'll almost guarantee it would be cheaper. I had quite a rare Nissan at one time and none of the usual suspects could supply a new exhaust. Nissan main dealers wanted almost £900 but I got a whole custom-made stainless system, cat back, guaranteed for the life of the car and the guarantee transferable to new owners if I sold the car, for £390.

They measure everything from diameters of the pipe, to lengths, to bend radii all from the existing system so you can't tell that it's not a "genuine" one anyway, except in the wallet department.

• Like 1

and until this year I have always bought Lexus/Toyota wiper rubbers £28+ .........  the problem being they now seem to be very old, probably 24 year old stock .......  and don't perform very well these days, the time was they lasted 3/4 years and 40k miles......  just 15k miles this last year so replacement wiper rubbers this service and MOT was £8.10 and not the OEM £28+

Genuine is good but some parts maybe not quite so if they might age related deteriorate

Malc

Fair enough, but you do know that Lexus/Toyota don't make exhausts, tyres, batteries, wipers and suchlike don't you? They just buy in from whoever does make them, put their markup on and then sell to you. If you ever needed it (hopefully not) you could get, say, a genuine Lexus camshaft because they do make the engine, but not items like above.
And yes, probably way out on pricing but I'll almost guarantee it would be cheaper. I had quite a rare Nissan at one time and none of the usual suspects could supply a new exhaust. Nissan main dealers wanted almost £900 but I got a whole custom-made stainless system, cat back, guaranteed for the life of the car and the guarantee transferable to new owners if I sold the car, for £390.
They measure everything from diameters of the pipe, to lengths, to bend radii all from the existing system so you can't tell that it's not a "genuine" one anyway, except in the wallet department.
I'm preserving the integrity of the service history for a future owner. There is value in that and I'm also happy that the car is getting the best treatment too. Buying cheap is not always the best solution.

33 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

"but I got a whole custom-made stainless system, cat back, guaranteed for the life of the car and the guarantee transferable to new owners if I sold the car, for £390".

Where from Herbie?

In the particular case of my Nissan it was a company in Preston. They no longer do the stainless exhausts here because they've now become Ssangyong main dealers, but the parent company are (I believe) still honouring the exhaust warranty.

How time flies! I had no idea it was this long ago:

c001.thumb.jpg.645f5bba954c8ef0999ec1beaba8f966.jpg

However, a fellow member on here got one done on his RX300 that may be closer for you, Cybox in the Wirral. Have a look at his posts here:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

I'm preserving the integrity of the service history for a future owner. There is value in that and I'm also happy that the car is getting the best treatment too. Buying cheap is not always the best solution.

I can sort of see where you're coming from and I know you'll not change your mind, but I'm just genuinely curious.

Forget the word "cheap" and just concentrate on materials. How does making a replica of an original part, but in a better material that will last longer, upset the integrity of the car and its history?

If I were the sort of person to fuss about such things, I think I could overlook one job not done in a Lexus workshop in the knowledge that it would be even better than what a Lexus workshop could provide.

I had a very nice stainless steel exhaust made for my last car (a Honda Accord 3.0, V6) from Powerflow in Crewe. Fantastic job but not cheap. I'm treating this Lexus LS600h like a fine Swiss watch. I wouldn't send that back to an independent watch repairer when for just a few £ more you can send it back to an authorised repair centre in full knowledge that value is maintained.

I'm also not sure that getting independents to work on the LS600h would be great news in respect of the 3 year manufacturer warranty that Lexus gave me with the car (despite having 100k miles on it at the point of purchase).  

• Like 2

I'm treating this Lexus LS600h like a fine Swiss watch. I wouldn't send that back to an independent watch repairer 

OK, fair enough Jonathan.

13 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

I'm also not sure that getting independents to work on the LS600h would be great news in respect of the 3 year manufacturer warranty that Lexus gave me with the car

It wouldn't make a difference except to the part replaced.

For instance, if a brake caliper needed to be replaced under warranty they wouldn't refuse to cover it because you had an independent replace your exhaust. However, they would refuse to replace the exhaust if you had a problem with that, but it would be covered by the lifetime warranty given by the exhaust people anyway, so no worries there.

Similarly, if your windscreen started leaking or the electrical petrol flap opener went faulty they wouldn't refuse the warranty claim due to having the exhaust replaced elsewhere.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ambermarine said:

The stainless steel exhaust system was exclusive to the LS400 and the first deveation from this was on the ls430 which had mild steel back boxes .The cost of a complete system was probably a factor in the decision as Lexus were now paring the production costs of later models having established itself in the market place.

As for the rest of the Lexus range it would be interesting to know how much of a stainless steel content there is in the exhaust system.

My LS430 (Celsior) has a full stainless system so it would seem to be different for a JDM model. 

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

OK, fair enough Jonathan.

It wouldn't make a difference except to the part replaced.

For instance, if a brake caliper needed to be replaced under warranty they wouldn't refuse to cover it because you had an independent replace your exhaust. However, they would refuse to replace the exhaust if you had a problem with that, but it would be covered by the lifetime warranty given by the exhaust people anyway, so no worries there.

Similarly, if your windscreen started leaking or the electrical petrol flap opener went faulty they wouldn't refuse the warranty claim due to having the exhaust replaced elsewhere.

Good to know. Thanks. 

• Like 1

My message to Honest John, produced this reply.

I am trying to find out if a 2008 reg Lexus LS600HL was fitted with a full stainless steel system as standard.Can you help please?

david-polaroid.jpg

David Ross    3 hours ago

Thank you for your message. To our knowledge, the LS600h wasn't fitted with a stainless steel exhaust as standard, this is likely to have been a replacement ot an aftermarket fit

I’m with Jonathan on this. All manufacturers look for loyalty through their dealers, so they know who has been working on the vehicle. There may we’ll be better value elsewhere, but if something else goes wrong, and we are talking about a very expensive vehicle, the last thing you want is to be arguing with Lexus about a potential claim. You leave yourself wide open if you go outside, particularly as it is a complex vehicle. My wife had a Honda CRV with an 8 year full Honda Service History. It mattered and Honda were brilliant....look at the bigger picture.

On 2 June 2019 at 8:38 PM, jpjsavage said:

Those of you with long memories may recall that I bought my LS600h from Lexus Stoke back in August last year. It had done around 100k and was sold with a full 3 year Lexus warranty and a full 3 year service plan. In my ownership so far, it has had a minor service (at 110k miles) but nothing has gone awry until a few weeks ago when I started to notice an uncharacteristic rumbling noise under acceleration (difficult to hear but quite distinct).

Anyway, fast forward to this weekend, and I've just got the car back from Lexus Stoke following a major service at 120k miles. As part of the service, I had two new front tyres and they replaced half of the exhaust (the back box on one side and associated other bits and pieces). It had developed a large hole on the top of the box (which explained the noise). Neither of these items were covered by the warranty (no surprise) so I am a few £ lighter but peace is restored to the Lexus and it is driving like new again. I didn't skimp on the tyres either (they put Bridgestone Potenza which I hope will meet with your approval). They also replaced the earthing strap on the underside of the gearbox which had corroded. 

So, all set up for another year of happy motoring in what is undoubtedly the best car I have ever owned. 

I'd be interested to know how other LS600 owners are getting on with their cars. I'm still in a quandary about what to do in 18-24 months time. This car is fantastic and has a literally full service history with Lexus (which will be maintained by myself). No one else has touched it. It is a nice problem to think about and plan for so any ideas welcomed!

Timely update JP - I had a wonderful drive last night in a 600h - private sale with 109k on the clock 09 plate - just passed its MOT this week and a full Lexus service history. The only sticking point is the 110k service is due - it had the big 100k one last year so the owner is booking it in for the intermediary one and assuming it's given a clean bill of health I should be closing the deal very shortly for a very reasonable price and I'm hoping it will serve me as well and as long as my 1998 LS400 which means I will be looking to keep it for c10 years. It's the first 600h I have ever driven and it was utterly sublime.

7 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Timely update JP - I had a wonderful drive last night in a 600h - private sale with 109k on the clock 09 plate - just passed its MOT this week and a full Lexus service history. The only sticking point is the 110k service is due - it had the big 100k one last year so the owner is booking it in for the intermediary one and assuming it's given a clean bill of health I should be closing the deal very shortly for a very reasonable price and I'm hoping it will serve me as well and as long as my 1998 LS400 which means I will be looking to keep it for c10 years. It's the first 600h I have ever driven and it was utterly sublime.

Fantastic news! Fingers crossed for the news re. the service and do post a few pictures if the deal goes through. You won't be disappointed. I've done around 20k miles in mine over the last year. Every time I drive the car it is a special occasion. I had two LS400s previously and the LS600 matches them both for refinement and brings a huge range of other stuff to the party too, not least that amazing hybrid system. Many passengers have enjoyed gliding off in silence and you hardly notice the engine dropping in and out. Superb!