Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On 6/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, jpjsavage said:

I'm preserving the integrity of the service history for a future owner. There is value in that and I'm also happy that the car is getting the best treatment too. Buying cheap is not always the best solution.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Fine as long as you sell privately. GDPR will stop a dealer from giving a buyer anything with your personal details on including  service and repair documents. 

14 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Fine as long as you sell privately. GDPR will stop a dealer from giving a buyer anything with your personal details on including  service and repair documents. 

It's all logged on the My Lexus app thing. No problem with them seeing an immaculate service record and repairs minus personal details. 

2 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

It's all logged on the My Lexus app thing. No problem with them seeing an immaculate service record and repairs minus personal details. 

A breath of fresh air, amongst all of guff that is branded about re GDPR being the reason for not providing non-personal information.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Fantastic news! Fingers crossed for the news re. the service and do post a few pictures if the deal goes through. You won't be disappointed. I've done around 20k miles in mine over the last year. Every time I drive the car it is a special occasion. I had two LS400s previously and the LS600 matches them both for refinement and brings a huge range of other stuff to the party too, not least that amazing hybrid system. Many passengers have enjoyed gliding off in silence and you hardly notice the engine dropping in and out. Superb!

Thanks will do - mine will be doing c20k per year so hopefully it will deal with it as well as my LS400 has done, it was reading one of your previous posts about the switch from LS400 that motivated me to go for the 600 - having owned the LS400 for 16 years it will be with mixed feelings when I make the swap but I’m pretty sure the refinements of the big hybrid will help me get over the 400 - the 600 obviously was a lot more modern than the 400 but in many way it did not feel that dissimilar and it still had a bit of an old school feel to it that I really liked.

The current owner had today confirmed that the 110k service is booked in for next Wednesday so not long now and hopefully it will get a clean bill of health.

10 hours ago, Angel123 said:

There is some very interesting reading in this thread. A lot learned here. I had the chance of the 600. But not in a million years do I regret going for the 460. 

460/600 - let's be honest both great cars. I tested a 460 but it left me a little underwhelmed compared to the 400 but that was a few years back and my LS is a bit baggier now so would probably be a different story now. I went into the 600 test drive quite open minded, I don't need to change the 400 and financially it's cheaper to stick with it and after 16 years I know it so well and I was quite prepared to do nothing unless the 600 felt really really special.......but it did and therefore it was an easy decision. That said if I was swapping from a 460 to 600 then I suspect the difference would be less marginal than from a 21 year old 400. As Jonathan said though there is something special about the hybrid, the 4x4 element really appeals as well - I know I cold get that in. RX450 but my wife has one of those and it is superb and ultimately probably a better car for me to buy but the chance to get something different and to buy what was the ultimate Lexus and one of the most expensive luxury cars of its day also appeals - I have also tested the S500 and 350 CDI and again great cars but I prefer the whole package that Lexus gives and the confidence I have in being able to run the 600 like  I have my with my 400 into its twentieth plus year. That said, your post did make me look at Autotrader this morning at some 460s!

• Like 1

There is a lot to be said for the 400. I had two. No problem with either. The 460 has had some unfair bad press on problems with suspension etc. I feel the 430 was the Guinea pig with these problems. The later ones were ok. The hybrid after 10 plus years could produce some expensive problems as they get older. Everyone has their own choice and opinion on what is best. For me. I love the 460. In nearly 12000 miles of 6 months ownership. She owes me nothing. Two rear tyres. Service. Brakes. Like Jonathan said. I have no idea what will happen next. 

Well the prospective purchase of the 600 is on ice, just had the 110k service, advised new front discs and pads but Lexus dealers always seem to recommend that and I had a good long chat with the servicing dealer today (no GDPR issues interestingly) and there is still another 10k or so in the brakes. More concerning is the caliper piston seals that are split and retaining springs broken £669 and then the big one is the upper arms/lower arms splitting at bush - again not now but within 10k miles - £3094. Seller is not willing to budge on price! Also the hybrid health check could not be completed due to error codes but dealer assures me that it is to do with recent lack of use/flat Battery and if there was a genuine hybrid issue it would show in lots of other things. I am going to sit on the my LS until MOT which is 1/11 - will be interesting to see if seller still has the 600 and is more willing to negotiate. I am tempted by the WBAC offer for my LS which was the grand sum of £50!!

14 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

I am tempted by the WBAC offer for my LS which was the grand sum of £50!!

Really? I sold one of those sites my unknown mileage (busted odometer) 98 Honda Legend with it's peeling lacquer on the bonnet and stinky stained interior for £200 just over a year ago.
I bought it for £900 two years earlier and ragged it mercilessly for an estimated 25,000 miles. It did have 9 months MOT left though.

15 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Well the prospective purchase of the 600 is on ice, just had the 110k service, advised new front discs and pads but Lexus dealers always seem to recommend that and I had a good long chat with the servicing dealer today (no GDPR issues interestingly) and there is still another 10k or so in the brakes. More concerning is the caliper piston seals that are split and retaining springs broken £669 and then the big one is the upper arms/lower arms splitting at bush - again not now but within 10k miles - £3094. Seller is not willing to budge on price! Also the hybrid health check could not be completed due to error codes but dealer assures me that it is to do with recent lack of use/flat battery and if there was a genuine hybrid issue it would show in lots of other things. I am going to sit on the my LS until MOT which is 1/11 - will be interesting to see if seller still has the 600 and is more willing to negotiate. I am tempted by the WBAC offer for my LS which was the grand sum of £50!!

Is this is the one in Wellingborough.

In any case a visit to the dealer is an eye opener and goes to show although a car may look and appear well cared for with FSH - it doesn't mean its all good underneath and even more so on cars of the size and age.

15 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Well the prospective purchase of the 600 is on ice, just had the 110k service, advised new front discs and pads but Lexus dealers always seem to recommend that and I had a good long chat with the servicing dealer today (no GDPR issues interestingly) and there is still another 10k or so in the brakes. More concerning is the caliper piston seals that are split and retaining springs broken £669 and then the big one is the upper arms/lower arms splitting at bush - again not now but within 10k miles - £3094. Seller is not willing to budge on price! Also the hybrid health check could not be completed due to error codes but dealer assures me that it is to do with recent lack of use/flat battery and if there was a genuine hybrid issue it would show in lots of other things. I am going to sit on the my LS until MOT which is 1/11 - will be interesting to see if seller still has the 600 and is more willing to negotiate. I am tempted by the WBAC offer for my LS which was the grand sum of £50!!

If you are not in a rush I would forget that one and look for a really nice one from a Lexus dealer with a warranty.

Otherwise you have a potential money pit.

Known bills for £669 and £3094 in the next 10,000 miles would be enough to put me off...……….you could buy a nice LS430 with 12 months MOT and tax for less money.

ScottC

2 hours ago, ScottC said:

If you are not in a rush I would forget that one and look for a really nice one from a Lexus dealer with a warranty.

Otherwise you have a potential money pit.

Known bills for £669 and £3094 in the next 10,000 miles would be enough to put me off...……….you could buy a nice LS430 with 12 months MOT and tax for less money.

ScottC

Don’t disagree Scott but the equivalent dealer car would cost several thousands more and other than the warranty I’m not sure it would be any better than this 600 which has FLSH, new tyres, full MOT and has just been serviced ?

And yes a 430 would be cheaper but equally could also be a money pit and a 430 is a great car but it ain’t no 600.

4 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Don’t disagree Scott but the equivalent dealer car would cost several thousands more and other than the warranty I’m not sure it would be any better than this 600 which has FLSH, new tyres, full MOT and has just been serviced ?

And yes a 430 would be cheaper but equally could also be a money pit and a 430 is a great car but it ain’t no 600.

The 430 can burn through money very easy, l  would go  for the 600

37 minutes ago, Jake430 said:

The 430 can burn through money very easy, l  would go  for the 600

I don’t understand where you find evidence of that , quite the opposite I bought my LS 430 and it has been remarkably reliable , with little expenditure. However like all vehicles , including the LS 460 and LS 600 it very much depends on its servicing history and how it has been looked after. The seller of my LS430 bought a Chauffeur Driven LS 460 with 100,000 miles so you would have thought well maintained.... needed £6000’s worth of front suspension repairs.  You could make the same argument for both 460 and 600 vehicles , but there are so many variables that they “could “ become money pits but equally “not”

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

I don’t understand where you find evidence of that , quite the opposite I bought my LS 430 and it has been remarkably reliable , with little expenditure. However like all vehicles , including the LS 460 and LS 600 it very much depends on its servicing history and how it has been looked after. The seller of my LS430 bought a Chauffeur Driven LS 460 with 100,000 miles so you would have thought well maintained.... needed £6000’s worth of front suspension repairs.  You could make the same argument for both 460 and 600 vehicles , but there are so many variables that they “could “ become money pits but equally “not”

Any high end car scan be a money pit as they get old. Sometimes  it the luck of the draw. My  400's only needed servicing and a few other bits and pices where as the 430 a money pit.

40 minutes ago, Jake430 said:

Any high end car scan be a money pit as they get old. Sometimes  it the luck of the draw. My  400's only needed servicing and a few other bits and pices where as the 430 a money pit.

Totally agree lots of luck involved and timing as well - my 400 over 16 years of my ownership has had some expensive years and some very cheap years and when you have owned your vehicle for a long time you feel more confident in it. You can easily buy a second hand car particularly a prestige one and be unlucky enough to take a few big hits in quick succession. Whilst those bills on the 600 I was looking at are big, it could well be that you could take that hit and have very little else over the next 10 years so it works out at not so much, equally it could go the other way but you do have some reassurance that as a Lexus it’s less likely to happen than in other prestigious motors.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

Hi

I am sure the 600 is a great car.

The one you are looking at will need a spend of circa £3.8k that you know about on it's next service just for the advisories from the last service.

Maybe the extra several thousands at the Lexus dealer might be money well spent. 

When I bought my 430 it was very hard to find a Lexus approved one as they are quite strict about which cars meet their criteria.

I bought privately and came in at about half the price. In the back of my mind I had a lot of money in reserve should things go wrong, but  it worked out fine. In fact

the car has been totally spoilt!

However there are a great deal of pattern parts for the 430 and a lot of knowledge on the Internet. Quite a number were built and you can find cars being broken for spares

should you need an engine or front bumper for instance.

My feeling with the 600 is that it is so rare and complex it may be that should it go wrong it can only be repaired at a Lexus dealer with Lexus part$.

So I would did deep and buy the very best one I could find with a warranty.

ScottC 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ScottC said:

Hi

I am sure the 600 is a great car.

The one you are looking at will need a spend of circa £3.8k that you know about on it's next service just for the advisories from the last service.

Maybe the extra several thousands at the Lexus dealer might be money well spent. 

When I bought my 430 it was very hard to find a Lexus approved one as they are quite strict about which cars meet their criteria.

I bought privately and came in at about half the price. In the back of my mind I had a lot of money in reserve should things go wrong, but  it worked out fine. In fact

the car has been totally spoilt!

However there are a great deal of pattern parts for the 430 and a lot of knowledge on the Internet. Quite a number were built and you can find cars being broken for spares

should you need an engine or front bumper for instance.

My feeling with the 600 is that it is so rare and complex it may be that should it go wrong it can only be repaired at a Lexus dealer with Lexus part$.

So I would did deep and buy the very best one I could find with a warranty.

ScottC 

I agree Scott - I would want to keep it maintained with Lexus, it’s a pretty rare car with lots of complexity. I’m not ready to dig deep as you suggest, in fact I did look at the 430s on AT but to be honest I didn’t see one that I would be prepared to upgrade to from my £50 LS400! I might feel differently on the 1st November when I MOT the old girl but if she can get through that without having to spend an arm and a leg then I shall be saving some more pennies until I absolutely need to replace her. Of course if the vendor of the 600 comes back in the meantime with a sensible revised price I may well be interested!

1 hour ago, Nick W858 said:

I agree Scott - I would want to keep it maintained with Lexus, it’s a pretty rare car with lots of complexity. I’m not ready to dig deep as you suggest, in fact I did look at the 430s on AT but to be honest I didn’t see one that I would be prepared to upgrade to from my £50 LS400! I might feel differently on the 1st November when I MOT the old girl but if she can get through that without having to spend an arm and a leg then I shall be saving some more pennies until I absolutely need to replace her. Of course if the vendor of the 600 comes back in the meantime with a sensible revised price I may well be interested!

Hi

Yes been there, my 1993 LS400 was valued by a well known internet company at about £50.01 - I think it was £100 minus a £49.99 admin fee.

Petrol at the time was circa £1.39 a gallon so a tankful was costing me more than twice the value of the car.

I had a rear spring break and I remember being in the showroom at Lexus Cheltenham with my 2 bits of rusty spring being careful not to scratch

a beautiful car in there which had a price tag of £100,000.

It was an LS600, remarkable that these cars are now available for a fraction of that. I hope you find what you are looking for.

ScottC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

and this is why the old'uns Ls400s are in such increasing demand ........  wondrous comfort, speed and reliability and amazingly low cost maintenance

I have been tempted from time to time to gofor a Ls600 seeing they can be picked up for ridiculously low money and some cover stellar miles ....  company cars no doubt with a bottomless pit servicing budget .....  which I nor many on here would have ......  so I'll stop thinking about the changeover and stick with my now valued £50 car that I spent about £2k on last year with new all round Toyota UCAs,  tyres, cambelt and waterpump change etc ... servicing and MOT ...  and maybe another easy cost 100k miles ahead of me and 10 years

Good luck with your potential Ls600, I know Mr Savage on here is very pleased with his beautiful car as are many other owners I'm sure :whistling:

Malc

Thanks Malc - heard nothing back from the vendor so for now still enjoying the 400 and if nothing happens between now and the end of October I will get the MOT and service done and get put right a few minor bits that need doing and then potentially look to do what you have done/are doing. I did put a small ding in the rest of the 400 the other day backing into a tight multi story - I knew I had to touch the rest wall just to stop the front from overhanging  - began to think how much more tricky that manoeuvre would gave been in the 600 which did put me into a but if a cold sweat. There are definitely some advantages to running an older vehicle.

7 hours ago, Nick W858 said:

There are definitely some advantages to running an older vehicle.

and one is not worrying toooooo much about little dings and dints tbh

Malc