Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

I've got a 1993 LS400 and after some inconsiderate sod hit it and left the scene needs some restoration work. It's had some iffy touch ups in the past as the old gent who had it before kept catching the corners. I now feel it's time to get the whole car spot on seeing as it's going into the bodyshop for a new wing. 

My car is Champagne with Westminster interior and I think it's supposed to have the slight two tone to the paint on the lower bumpers and side cladding.

Question is, what are the two separate paint codes for this? I see 4K7 in the book but how does the bodyshop ensure they get the right contrasting shade between the two? 

I'm sure one of you lovely Lexus folk will know!

Thanks, 

Alexander. 

20190519_162234.jpg

My car is two tone and 4k9 appears on the Reg plate in the engine bay. Sanstone beige However the lower code is not mentioned.

I think I got it from a reputable supplier of paint and don't go on eBay as there are some dodgy paint dealers who will give you totally the wrong colour.  My advice is phone Autopaint St Helens on 01744 818102 with your Car VIN code to hand and the guy will tell you if you need a different paint for the lower part.  Possibly not.

Hello Alexander and welcome to the LOC.

I had exactly the same problem with mine but the body shop managed to find both codes for the 2 different paint colours, they even gave me a small plastic bottle of each for touch ups.

Mine has faded over the years but they even managed to “adjust” the colour mix to get a perfect match.

I would ask the same of your body shop as they should all have the paint codes.

These are mine T for top and B for the bottom colour.

91C12A08-F7D4-42C3-B0E4-B8BBAD85E2E8.jpeg

ps Someone else will tell you if a '93 should be two tone (like mine) and yours has already been paint shopped one colour. 
Can't decide if I should be going one colour or split! What does yours look like, is it the same colour as mine?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hello Alexander and welcome to the LOC.
I had exactly the same problem with mine but the body shop managed to find both codes for the 2 different paint colours, they even gave me a small plastic bottle of each for touch ups.
Mine has faded over the years but they even managed to “adjust” the colour mix to get a perfect match.
I would ask the same of your body shop as they should all have the paint codes
Thank you! I will have a word with the guy who's going to do it and see what he can find. I kind of want it to match all the documentation I got for the model year which states 2 tone but mine is pretty much all one colour after various work has been done to it, not so well.

You’re welcome, I think the very early models 90-92 were single tone and didn’t have the plastic cladding on the lower doors,everyone after was two tone.

You’re welcome, I think the very early models 90-92 were single tone and didn’t have the plastic cladding on the lower doors,everyone after was two tone.
Good advice thanks!

1 hour ago, ajchetcuti said:

Can't decide if I should be going one colour or split! What does yours look like, is it the same colour as mine?

I guess two tone means that you are putting the Car into a later bracket than 89-92 even if yours is on the cusp.   Two tone was definately popular with Mercs of the period also.  If you double click on my Avatar you can see a larger photo. The lower part is more gold than the upper beige.  The Wheels btw are Lexus Wheels (which I love) and get a regular wash whereas the Car only gets one once a year, and  came off a different model Lexus. An IS possibly?  

I guess two tone means that you are putting the Car into a later bracket than 89-92 even if yours is on the cusp.   Two tone was definately popular with Mercs of the period also.  If you double click on my Avatar you can see a larger photo. The lower part is more gold than the upper beige.  The Wheels btw are Lexus Wheels (which I love) and get a regular wash whereas the Car only gets one once a year, and  came off a different model Lexus. An IS possibly?  
It's a December 1993 so it's the revised model with changes. Car does look good! I've been debating bigger wheels. Are there quite a few LS400 owners on here then?

Then yours is definataly two tone.  Should just be a shade change nothing too obvious. The paint people I mentioned should give you the colour and the price is not unreasonable if you are supplying the paint to the shop.

The wheels on the earlier LS400 were 15 inch,  our model are 16 inches.  I didn't want to muck around with gearing ratios and other things that wheel size changes, involves.

Bought those s/hand on eBay from Poland for £180 without tyres. Maxxis all round on them.

Ps not sure its seen in that photo but having put on new rear Springs (not OEM) the ride height at the back is a couple of inches higher.  Has a certain dragster look about it. No change to the comfort of the ride.  Changing the springs is a bind as the rear axles have to be shifted  out of the way. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

IMG_2604.JPG

Then yours is definataly two tone.  Should just be a shade change nothing too obvious. The paint people I mentioned should give you the colour and the price is not unreasonable if you are supplying the paint to the shop.
The wheels on the earlier LS400 were 15 inch,  our model are 16 inches.  I didn't want to muck around with gearing ratios and other things that wheel size changes, involves.
Bought those s/hand on ebay from Poland for £180 without tyres. Maxxis all round on them.
Thanks. I'll get in touch with them! I'm excited to get it back to top condition. I've been wanting to lower it but I think I might just try and find some of the 17" wheels the later ones came with.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:31 PM, runsgrateasanut said:

Ps not sure its seen in that photo but having put on new rear Springs (not OEM) the ride height at the back is a couple of inches higher.  Has a certain dragster look about it. No change to the comfort of the ride.  Changing the springs is a bind as the rear axles have to be shifted  out of the way. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

IMG_2604.JPG

I changed mine without disconnecting the driveshafts and must have bought the same springs as mine also sits higher than before.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:49 PM, ajchetcuti said:

Thanks. I'll get in touch with them! I'm excited to get it back to top condition. I've been wanting to lower it but I think I might just try and find some of the 17" wheels the later ones came with.

Mine is now on 18s ....I have a set of Mitsubishi EVO9 17” wheels and tyres if you are interested.

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

I changed mine without disconnecting the driveshafts and must have bought the same springs as mine also sits higher than before.

I thought that might raise an eyebrow!

Yours is a 1994 Steve and possibly does not look like this? 

ps Alexander, I don't think any later Cars originally had 17 inch wheels but someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.  A firmer ride with low profile tyres, surely?

IMG_2605.JPG

• 1 month later...