Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cleaning the hybrid fan motor and filter

Yeah fan working hybrid okay now just need to delete this message 

Has the connector snapped into place?

My overheating message wouldn't go away because I didn't have the fan properly reconnected, it worked but some of the pins weren't seated properly.
Took it all apart, reseated the connector and then tried it again, this time it worked and the message disappeared...phew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 7:28 AM, Vagtech said:

Not for the IS300h

Hopefully this is not something I need to worry about for some time, as my IS is relatively low mileage.

Only just over 25,500 miles on the clock.   Averaging an indicated 52mpg, I don't use it for trips around town.

• 4 months later...

60,000 miles on mine, filter absolutely clear. Brilliant write up though. Thank you.

On the list of tools is add a torch though!

Weird wooden bar in the bottom corner though - pics attached!

Thanks for taking the time to post.

20191213_151428.jpg

20191213_151449.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, darrude said:

Been sprayed with something like waxoyl I think. Had the car since new, but did get "pit" manovoured by a truck, so maybe left over from the body shop...?

Wow, what a weird thing to find in the corner of your car.  Maybe you should check the other side, could be a teapot down there !

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did mine today. Thanks again @Jayw13702

Was very little in there to remove. I highly doubt it's been done by anyone else or a dealer, so it must just be clean!

Tip for anyone else doing it. When removing the three clips from the side trim, don't let them shoot / fly out. I lost one underneath the hybrid Battery. The better thing to have done would to have removed those before removing the false floor and exposing the Battery. Hope I don't get rattles and knocks, I didn't bother retrieving it.

What I did find was a few drops of water / few dozen tiny little stones (road / dirt / debris) near the Mark Lenvinson amp (mounted flat underneath the motor). There's a small white vent with a one way flap to the right of that, which I assume is the way it's getting in. Not sure what the inlet is for. But was not what I wanted to see. Dried it and vacuumed it out. Looked like it might be getting to the vent via the wheel arches.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I did follow all the steps the filter was clogged and the fins were dirty. I cleaned it properly put it all back together but the error message still shows on the dash. Will it need resetting or did i miss something. Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, Usman saleem said:

Hi. I did follow all the steps the filter was clogged and the fins were dirty. I cleaned it properly put it all back together but the error message still shows on the dash. Will it need resetting or did i miss something. Best regards

I would check the electrical connection on the motor, if that is not seated correctly then the message will not disappear.

Hi all, getting through first steps OK, but the hard plastic boot trim with the hidden tabs seems to be on very tight. I know you just pull hard and they snap out but I'm afraid to break anything. Which direction do you pull? I have the three plastic retainer clips out 

@Jayw13702 Hi Jay, are you waiting for the car to go to sleep before doing this filter cleaning? Or just unlocking car, opening boot and going at it?? Just want to be sure before I do the same as this is my first hybrid car. Also seeing as IS300H is smart key I take it to leave the key well out of range of the car!!?

[mention=60933]Jayw13702[/mention] Hi Jay, are you waiting for the car to go to sleep before doing this filter cleaning? Or just unlocking car, opening boot and going at it?? Just want to be sure before I do the same as this is my first hybrid car. Also seeing as IS300H is smart key I take it to leave the key well out of range of the car!!?

I just go at it, I have never let the car sleep.
I just make sure the ignition is off before doing any work in/on the car, normally if I’m working on the car the keys are hung up and not on me, but that’s only because I dropped a smart key in an gallon of oil and ruined it [emoji23]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Cool, think I'll just wait for sleepies just to be safe, and remember to keep my key away from all garage fluids 😀😀. Thanks for the write up, very useful indeed!!!

finally could be bothered to strip down again and look at the fan filter

after all the times i have stripped down and missed the filter it was clean

anyway i have attached a photo showing exactly where it is

so other members dont miss it like i did,  i thought the mesh filter would be

next to the motor instead its at the end of an intake tube by the back seat vent.

20200411_151437.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This has been a fantastic how to and indeed it seems my gas mileage has improved. Question to everyone- is it normal to hear the fan running during a drive? I never noticed it before (guess it was that clogged), but now that it’s clean I hear it blasting air inside the Battery every now and then. Especially seems to happen on a long descent where the Battery gets fully charged (and I guess therefore heats up). 

I do have to note I have very sensitive hearing so it may just be me picking this up. Just curious if anyone else noticed it too. 

1 hour ago, j051 said:

Question to everyone- is it normal to hear the fan running during a drive? I never noticed it before (guess it was that clogged), but now that it’s clean I hear it blasting air inside the battery every now and then.

Yes

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, j051 said:

This has been a fantastic how to and indeed it seems my gas mileage has improved. Question to everyone- 

I do have to note I have very sensitive hearing so it may just be me picking this up. Just curious if anyone else noticed it too. 

WHAT???? I can't hear you! 😂

• 3 months later...

So I’m thinking that a blocked/dirty filter means a reduction in cooling airflow for the Battery pack which precludes the batteries from providing motive power. At least until the batteries cools down to within the temperature range allowed for them to provide motive power. It stands to reason that this will have a hit on economy. Improving the airflow by cleaning fans and filter means the batteries stay within the allowed temperature range for more of the time allowing them to be used more of the time. I doubt this is something that needs to be done on a regular basis but most definitely worth doing on an older car I would think. An absolutely brilliant writeup by the OP 👍

10 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Good thread this. I wonder how easy it is to find and check on an NX.

Look for. the vent, whichever side the vent is on I would guess the trunking for the fan assembly will be hidden behind that trim panel in the hatch area of the NX

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links