Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tackling corrosion on a 2014 RX450h

2 hours ago, Lost it said:

And on another slightly worrying point... My MOT guy told me that if a brake pipe has been coated with grease, it's now a fail. I've always done this...

As my dear departed Granny would say, "He's having you on a butty"

This is from the MOT Inspection Manual (the 'Tester's Bible') and I can't see any mention of that:

2019-06-14.thumb.png.209a2a5ea4847b10c83dbb43934c9e62.png

1035152106_2019-06-14(1).thumb.png.08296e7e405046260d9a37b75c98ea17.png

3 hours ago, Lost it said:

I'd still use it because it's allegedly able to stop the rust that is already present.

I'll be buying a Waxoyl pack soon anyway, might as well cover myself in gunge. There's only really odd bits, mainly around the exhaust system, suspension mounts, that kind of thing. Up on the ramps, off with the wheels, on with the spray.

And on another slightly worrying point... My MOT guy told me that if a brake pipe has been coated with grease, it's now a fail. I've always done this...

There are better coatings than Waxoyl : I used it years ago then moved to Dinitrol which I found to be better.

I think Noxudol is better again, see https://www.auson.se/sites/default/files/rusttest_noxudol_700_classic_monthly_uk_0.pdf

Noxudol is used by Toyota and Honda for recalls, e.g. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2009/RCRIT-09V444-6633.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0xAcByF8NsuHyoJowNod3c83vFCI_E5wWV-fK-yhJ0HC6XJzKIzq8OFKM

I am sure Herbie is correct regarding greasing brake pipes, my brother had his Grand Vitatara in for an MOT last week and the tester but grease on some of his brake lines....

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2019 at 2:31 PM, Lost it said:

I'd still use it because it's allegedly able to stop the rust that is already present.

I'll be buying a Waxoyl pack soon anyway, might as well cover myself in gunge. There's only really odd bits, mainly around the exhaust system, suspension mounts, that kind of thing. Up on the ramps, off with the wheels, on with the spray.

Yes, I got a “Verbal” for doing the same on mine.

On 6/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, Rannsachair said:

close, I have a couple of Matchless's:

23632551_1560287737351462_3155062808470560847_o.jpg

Nice one !

Mmm, let's see, jampot, full width rear hub, barrel finned front hub, auto a/r timing cover...... I'l go '55 G3L ? 😀

I'm a Matchless man meself - here's my '54 G80 built to look like a comp replica...

img334_981x768.jpg

• Like 2

Re the greasing the brake pipes thing...

As Herbie says. Doesn't mention this at all in the latest MOT testers manual. So I'll be questioning that one and asking for the evidence if it crops up.

2 hours ago, vrodman said:

Nice one !

Mmm, let's see, jampot, full width rear hub, barrel finned front hub, auto a/r timing cover...... I'l go '55 G3L ? 😀

I'm a Matchless man meself - here's my '54 G80 built to look like a comp replica...

img334_981x768.jpg

Looks great, spot on I have a 55 model G3LS, though registered December 54 and a 56 one too getting rebuilt! I am in the process of building 2 G80 engines for them too. I used to have an AJS Model 18

166872_159622154084701_7186063_n.jpg

17634590_1347264815320423_1291518031620717891_n (2).jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys. I just bought my RX 450h from a dealership in Glasgow. 

I was absolutely loving it until just now when I had a 21 point just by Halfords. I am devastated at the findings. RUST!!!

Subframe rust.

They don't even want to work on it cause it looks problematic. 

I'm  heartbroken. I'll have to call the finance company to see if I can return the car.

Why did it even pass the MOT ?

Why are people allowed to sell cars in such conditions?

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Random Energy said:

Hi Guys. I just bought my RX 450h from a dealership in Glasgow. 

I was absolutely loving it until just now when I had a 21 point just by Halfords. I am devastated at the findings. RUST!!!

Subframe rust.

They don't even want to work on it cause it looks problematic. 

I'm  heartbroken. I'll have to call the finance company to see if I can return the car.

Why did it even pass the MOT ?

Why are people allowed to sell cars in such conditions?

Have you spoken to the dealer (Lexus?). If the Halfords appraisal is correct, I can’t see why you would have any difficulty returning the car and settling the finance…you should get 14 days to cancel finance with no more than an admin charge (and I would look to the dealer to settle that!).

• Like 2

I agree about a second opinion. When I bought mine I ran it into my local Lexus dealership who did a free health check with a written report. That might confirm Halfords findings or they might say it's not so bad. If the former, and it's as bad as Halfords say, then at least you'll be armed with two written reports to make your case with the selling dealer.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links