Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

recommended, decent mid-range tyres

Hi guys,

I put 2 Michelin Cross-Climate tyres on the front in December and have just spent a sizeable amount of money on a new exhaust plus new discs and pads for the MOT.  The car is due its 110000 service with Lexus (Glasgow) in 4 weeks time.  My mechanic said I would need one new rear tyre in about 1-2 months time, but I would never put one on so will be looking to replace both rear tyres.

What with summer holiday almost upon me and being a poorly paid Civil Servant (sympathy vote required here), can any member recommend a decent mid-range tyre for me please.  I only do about 7000 miles a year.....

Cheers

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

As you have the Cross-Climates on the front I would recommend you fit the same to the rears ...

Definitely. The car will handle so much better on Cross Climates all round and be so much safer. Do you really want to compromise the safety  of your family for the sake of a relatively small amount of money.?

• Like 3

Another vote for Avon ZX7's at just over £100 a corner resonably priced. Had mine on for around 18 months and still going strong.

Bri

• Like 1

Leaving to your own conscience the mixing between axles (I have done it myself when a lowly paid local government officer!), hate to be boring but another vote from me for Avon ZX7s. Also, from my own experience, possibly Toyo Proxes? Admittedly I don't know what sizes they are available in, but they had good grip and water-clearing. They wore relatively quickly but who knows when that next pothole or 6" nail is going to get you?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Read the following article and then decide.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=106221

I would definately go for a cheaper all season option.

Where does "Honest John's" advice come in - unless I'm daft (which I may well be) all I can see are replies from other punters just like in here.

• Like 1

Burroo I suggest you Google your tyre size and see what comes up. It makes no difference what so ever if you have a different matching pair of tyres on the rear. Mixing on the same axle is very bad.

Get the best you can afford. At the end of the day what you buy compared to if money was no object you'd very much more than likely not notice any difference in handling. No one except a pro driver would be able to tell the difference. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

There was a topic about this very thing recently and I can't find it now for love nor money - typical.

Anyway, I think it said that, although true for 'traditional' AWD vehicles, the hybrids aren't affected in this way because they don't have traditional driveshafts and diffs to worry about.

I know I'm being vague but the info is here somewhere if someone has the time to search properly, sorry.

• Like 2

To me the OP has fitted the best possible tyres for the vehicle on the front. He lives in Scotland not renowned for mild dry winters. He clearly gives his car the best in servicing and maintenance so why scrimp on 2 things that keep you attached to Mother earth. The car will handle so much better on matching tyres especially in Scottish weather. They claim that Cross Climates Last 11,000 more miles than the competitors so that makes them an even better buy. I have done 12000 miles on mine since October and they are barely worn. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

the hybrids aren't affected in this way because they don't have traditional driveshafts and diffs to worry about.

That makes sense :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Just now, olliesgrandad said:

He clearly gives his car the best in servicing and maintenance so why scrimp on 2 things that keep you attached to Mother earth

Lexus is a luxury brand and as such, a lot of people in these forums seem to be awash with money. I'm not jealous and I don't begrudge them their money at all, but maybe not everyone is in that position - I know I'm not.

Maybe 6 months ago, Brian had so much money that he could have purchased Michelin Cross Climates with gold belting instead of steel; maybe in another 6 months he could afford to buy a whole new car with Michelin Cross Climates already attached - but right at this very moment in time he's already stated that he's struggling a little bit, so has to do what he has to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

Lexus is a luxury brand and as such, a lot of people in these forums seem to be awash with money. I'm not jealous and I don't begrudge them their money at all, but maybe not everyone is in that position - I know I'm not.

Maybe 6 months ago, Brian had so much money that he could have purchased Michelin Cross Climates with gold belting instead of steel; maybe in another 6 months he could afford to buy a whole new car with Michelin Cross Climates already attached - but right at this very moment in time he's already stated that he's struggling a little bit, so has to do what he has to do.

I take your point. Just seems a shame not to be able to have a set because they are such great tyres on these cars. 

• Like 1

What is it makes the Michelin Cross Climate such a great tyre on the RX olliesgrandad? Are you a former professional racing driver or test driver? I'm not but I am, and have been since I first started driving, a fast driver. I've done track days and rally days. 

To the average driver the only difference between an expensive tyre and a budget one is the price.

Me? For the past 25 years I've only ever bought part warn tyres and have never had any problems or issues with grip. I only buy matching pairs per axle.

Looks like the OP has sacked this thread because of the snobbery to tyre brands. Tut tut.

• Like 1

Firstly No I'm not a racing driver and I clearly don't have your fast driving experience and knowledge of the purchase of good part worn tyres. I bow to your superior driving knowledge and apologise for appearing to be a tyre snob. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

What is it makes the Michelin Cross Climate such a great tyre on the RX olliesgrandad? Are you a former professional racing driver or test driver? I'm not but I am, and have been since I first started driving, a fast driver. I've done track days and rally days. 

To the average driver the only difference between an expensive tyre and a budget one is the price.

Me? For the past 25 years I've only ever bought part warn tyres and have never had any problems or issues with grip. I only buy matching pairs per axle.

Looks like the OP has sacked this thread because of the snobbery to tyre brands. Tut tut.

Sorry forgot to mention in a former life I was for a while in charge of a Road Policing Unit and am qualified to response and pursuit standard driving. I suppose the things I was taught about tyres there are as relevant today as double declutching then 😂

• Like 1

Hi Guys, many thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.  I've not replied sooner due to sheer pressure of work as I always check the site on my work computer, but I have made time this morning to respond to your replies....

I wholeheartedly agree that I should put CrossClimates on the rear but it is a cost issue.  I have found a tyre called Riken, which is a budget/mid-range tyre that gets great reviews.  Who knows, maybees I'll go for them as I can get 2 for the price of one CrossClimate.  If the car was constant AWD I would save my pennies for the CC tyre, but it's not so I am reasonably comfortable with only having them on the front.

Thanks again for your input, and any other sound advice will always be appreciated.

• Like 3

Tyres are as much a subject of antipathy and heated posts as most other topics that create a lot of theory and opinions. Such as Oil, whether to run the A/C all the time etc.

Simply put: ANY tyre with the right speed and load rating will be better than bald ones. Having the bald ones on the rear is never a good option...

I've recently bought a 2000 model Lexus RX300. It has all the hallmarks of an expensively and presumably well maintained car, lots of receipts Yet it had three different makes of tyre on it, two 6 year old Cooper things a 2018 built Toyo and some chinese junk that went on for the last MOT.

Quite why the last owner did this is beyond me when he didn't have a problem with paying for a £500 service and cam belt. To then put a £30 budget chinese "Linglong" thing on the car makes no sense to me. But there you go.

So I spoke to the local tyre guys, and the people I use all the time and they have suggested I fit a set of Nexen tyres, all the same tread, the same weight rating, the right speed rating same date of build, and only £250 a set. They are M&S, "B" rated for wet weather, and even if they only last 12,000 miles, they will be adequate for what I want. I do like having the same tyres on all the four rims, please don't ask me the model of tyre, I cannot remember it. CP something...

I'll only use the "M&S" bit if I fall asleep at the wheel if I'm honest, I wanted the Lexus because I had a cancer op last year and I'm finding it hard to get out of my Jaguar XJ6 after a long day at the wheel... So I bought a cheapish Lexus to see if I can be comfy and more importantly rather than having to climb out of the car after a long day driving, I can open the door and fall out if I need to. 😉

I too have "raced", bikes more than cars, and whilst only a year or so ago I wouldn't have touched anything tyre wise made in Asia, these Nexen things will be fine until I get another set of rims and fit them with proper winter rubber. Just in case we ever get a winter in the UK again.

£250 a set. I pay more than that for my VFR 800 tyres... And I only get 8,000 miles out of them.

Edited by Lost it
Speling musteaks
  • Like 3

Eh up olliesgrandad a former road officer eh? OK I'll give you that even tho there are too many of them that can't drive even tho trained. 

Well put Lost it. Nowt wrong with Nexen's. I've got a pair on my ahem tuned mondeo and am very happy with them in all conditions. 

• Thanks 1