Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I purchased a rx400 h a week ago and days after driving it I know that's the check engine light came on. I did a scan with my OBD scanner to find out it was the air fuel sensor in the catalytic converter. The guy I bought the car from sent used parts to me. To be honest I'm not very happy with that because I don't know one if it's Denso and to if they're going to last. Is there any way to identify if the original denso and to test if they're in good condition?

DSC_0188.JPG

No idea how you'll determine if it's Denso, but Youtube has many dozens of videos showing how to test them, this just being one:

PS - I've not watched this video so I can't be held responsible if anything is incorrect 😉

Two different types of sensor that I'm aware of, so you kind of need to know what type your particular car has installed.

And usually, giving your reg number to a Motor factor will allow them to check which type you have?

TITANIA OXYGEN SENSORS. Vary in resistance based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas.

ZIRCONIA OXYGEN SENSORS. Produce a voltage which varies based on the amount of oxygen in the exhaust gas. ...

The usual problem is that the heater circuit has failed.

Thank you for your replies. To be honest I think it's unacceptable to get used parts like this especially not knowing the origin of the parts. I think the dealer who are purchased car from should give me new parts because he told me that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car. 😑 I also suspect he reset check engine light just before handing over the car.

Yes. There is a warrranty that he has to adhere to. Much as they won't want to admit it.

Is he expecting you to change the part yourself? What happens if you manage to shear the old one off is that your problem?

This dealer is not doing the right thing is he?

12 hours ago, black-on-black said:

I think the dealer who are purchased car from should give me new parts

I thought you'd bought it privately because in your original post you didn't say anything about a dealer. Now that you have, then yes, he should take responsibility for the repair as long as it's within the warranty period.

Because he sent you the parts rather than you calling for them in person, does that mean that the dealer isn't local to you? Trevor, above, is right in saying that he shouldn't just be sending you the parts irrespective of whether new ones or used - he should be doing the job.

5 hours ago, Herbie said:

I thought you'd bought it privately because in your original post you didn't say anything about a dealer. Now that you have, then yes, he should take responsibility for the repair as long as it's within the warranty period.

Because he sent you the parts rather than you calling for them in person, does that mean that the dealer isn't local to you? Trevor, above, is right in saying that he shouldn't just be sending you the parts irrespective of whether new ones or used - he should be doing the job.

Yes, I wasn't quite specific my first post. Unfortunately the dealer is quite a distance away. He has offered money for the repairs at my local garage. But I'm not happy for receiving second-hand oxygen sensors. I probably will have to get legal advice before my months warranty is up.

8 minutes ago, black-on-black said:

Yes, I wasn't quite specific my first post. Unfortunately the dealer is quite a distance away. He has offered money for the repairs at my local garage. But I'm not happy for receiving second-hand oxygen sensors. I probably will have to get legal advice before my months warranty is up.

If he's only given you a month warranty then that's wrong too. I can't remember the specific topic to search for it but I'm sure that @royoftherovers had some good legal advice about warranties. May be worth sending him a message.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

If he's only given you a month warranty then that's wrong too. I can't remember the specific topic to search for it but I'm sure that @royoftherovers had some good legal advice about warranties. May be worth sending him a message.

Thank you I sent a message just now hopefully you'll get this resolved asap.

• Like 2

@black-on-black Consumer Rights Law applies, you have the right to reject the vehicle within 30 days and make him take it back and give you your money back. I would offer him a choice between that and fixing the car with a new part and giving you appropriate paperwork for it.

• Like 1