Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, what’s a good choice of 255/4018 tyre for the rears on my 250 f-sport. I currently have 2 brand new Goodyear asymmetric 3’s on the front, but the rear ones are really expensive. Any alternatives. Thanks.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, what’s a good choice of 255/4018 tyre for the rears on my 250 f-sport. I currently have 2 brand new Goodyear asymmetric 3’s on the front, but the rear ones are really expensive. Any alternatives. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunlop sportmax rt2 M8. Very quiet. A rated on wet. Evo mag tire of 2018
I will be fitting 4 on the is250c shortly myself. Been looking for weeks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Get the Asymmetric 3's, but in 245/40-18 instead.

I run this size and there's barely any difference, performance-wise, but the tyre choice is much, much bigger (and way cheaper).

I put 4x Michelin PS4 on my car a year ago for under £450, which is almost what just the rears would cost if sticking to OEM size.

• Like 1

Dunlop sportmax rt2 M8. Very quiet. A rated on wet. Evo mag tire of 2018
I will be fitting 4 on the is250c shortly myself. Been looking for weeks.

I’m looking at asymmetric 2’s rather that 3’s. They only do the 3 in run flats, which I don’t like. The 2’s are £155 each. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen. How much are the Dunlop’s.

I run this size and there's barely any difference, performance-wise, but the tyre choice is much, much bigger (and way cheaper).
I put 4x Michelin PS4 on my car a year ago for under £450, which is almost what just the rears would cost if sticking to OEM size.

How much are the 2’s in the size I require. Don’t want 3’s as they’re run flats.

3 hours ago, J Henderson said:

Funny, I run exactly same tyres and same sizes - I prefer 245 instead of 255 in the rear, makes car feel more RWD.  Although, when it comes to actual tyres I would go back to Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2s. Other cheaper choice is Sava or Debica, own by same company (Goodyear) and I believe some of Dunlop Tyres are actually made by Debica.

• Like 1

I suspect it's just not a popular size which is why they are expensive. My old 407 pug on 17 inches was a typical unusual French side thus making the tires more expensive

Did you know:

1) Run flat tyres can be driven on when punctured - but only for about 50 miles max at 30 mph - limits vary with brand but that's typical.

2) Most tyre places follow the puncture repair code of practice - which says that run flat tyres cannot be repaired. (Because running them in excess of the limits above may have damaged the  structure, but the potential damage isn't visible)

😦

• Like 1

3) most of the time they feel like riding on wooden wheel

... and last time I had puncture in run-flats it simply dismounted from inside and car was undrivable anyway... obviously no spare, so I had to get flatbed to "evacuate" me. 

I have just put 4 Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on my IS250 and they feel pretty good, had them on my Merc C350  coupe before and they were good on that also, good levels of grip in the dry and didn't seem to lose any grip at all in the wet which was pretty good considering they were putting nearly 300bhp onto the road in a very tail light rear wheel drive car. Also very quiet, only down side is they do wear a little quicker than some tyres (I got about 20k out of the rears on the merc and probably another 5k from the fronts), also you can usually get them at a decent price, I paid £68 each for the fronts and £85 for the rears, a bit of a bargain when you consider the wet performance you are getting

• Like 1

Uniroyal Rainsport are good tyres (owned by Michelin), good levels of grip. However, few people I have recommended them to noted increased fuel consumtion. Additional grip and saving on tyres are probably totally worth it, but something to keep in mind.

Uniroyal Rainsport are good tyres (owned by Michelin), good levels of grip. However, few people I have recommended them to noted increased fuel consumtion. Additional grip and saving on tyres are probably totally worth it, but something to keep in mind.

The Goodyear asymmetric 3’s I have on the front are a great tyre. The grip in the wet is second to none. That’s why I’m considering getting them for the rear, but as mentioned above the asymmetric 2, as the 3’s for the rear are ROF only. The 3’s aren’t available as normal tyre.

What about Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2's then ? They are sister brand tyres - almost identical to Asymmetric 5 (RT "1" = Asymmetric 3), even the thread design is very similar.

image.jpeg.cec96e34669501cd34bf521d6286446d.jpegimage.jpeg.4ddb0773f0f6198679c00f3483fb5fa4.jpeg

• Like 1

What about Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2's then ? They are sister brand tyres - almost identical, even the thread design is very similar.

What sort of price are they. And do you recommend the 245 instead of 255

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/dunlop/sp-sport-maxx-rt-2/245/40/R18/Y/97/f?tyre=34518953

I generally recommend 225/245 on 18" wheels for IS250, 255 is overkill in the rear and makes car behave weird when on the edge or grip (i.e. understeer first). I guess that is by design - in some circles it is considered that understeering is "safer", but for me it feels unnatural when RWD car does it. 225/245 gives neutral balance, and I personally would even go 235/245.

Asymmetric 5 sadly is not available in 245/40 18 ... at least in black circle.

Would getting the smaller size compromise on performance/fuel efficiency.

Nothing noticeable. An IS250 doesn't have enough power/torque to "need" 255s.

Arguably, fuel economy should be slightly better since wider tyres equals more drag.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

John beet me to it ...

It depends... if we talking specifically about 255/40/18 vs. 245/40/18 then it should do the opposite in most of conditions. Narrower tyre should be more fuel efficient, overall smaller radius should improve acceleration at the cost of top speed. However, the difference we are talking here are within 1%.

245/40/18 has exactly same radius and overall dimension as 245/45/17, so is well within the spec. of the car.

As well as John said 255 is just too wide for the power IS250 has.

Nothing noticeable. An IS250 doesn't have enough power/torque to "need" 255s.

Arguably, fuel economy should be slightly better since wider tyres equals more drag.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your advice.

John beet me to it ...
It depends... if we talking specifically about 255/40/18 vs. 245/40/18 then it should do the opposite in most of conditions. Narrower tyre should be more fuel efficient, overall smaller radius should improve acceleration at the cost of top speed. However, the difference we are talking here are within 1%.
245/40/18 has exactly same radius and overall dimension as 245/45/17, so is well within the spec. of the car.
As well as John said 255 is just too wide for the power IS250 has.

So it’s looking like the 245/4018 then. This will save me a few quid as well. Thanks.

changing the tire size is a modification. You should notify insurance or risk them not paying out in the event of a crash should the investigator spot the tire size difference.