Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

3 hours ago, Shaunomercy said:

changing the tire size is a modification. You should notify insurance or risk them not paying out in the event of a crash should the investigator spot the tire size difference.

based on? you insurance policy? I am not sure I agree... although insurance fraudster can elect any arbitrary rules, so I would not be surprised.

My insurance policy states car has to be road worthy and have MOT. In short that means - as long as I have 4 wheels and 4 tyres fitted and all the tyres passed MOT (that is more thread than 1.6mm) I am good to go and my insurance will pay out.

OK.. I appreciate that if one fits 22" spinners without notifying insurance this could be considered as "undeclared modification". But putting tyres with +/-5 profile or, +/- 10 mm of width and declaring it as mod is far too sensitive.

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

If you want 255's go for 255/35 r18. These are a more popular size and the sidewall thickness will match front and rear

That is IS mk3 size right? It is an option as well, however the price of the tyres are somewhere in between of 245/45 and 255/45 + it could be argued it is worse option than 245/45 - because you don't get any fuel efficiency benefits and as well have thinner sidewall which makes ride harder.

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

based on? you insurance policy? I am not sure I agree... although insurance fraudster can elect any arbitrary rules, so I would not be surprised.

My insurance policy states car has to be road worthy and have MOT. In short that means - as long as I have 4 wheels and 4 tyres fitted and all the tyres passed MOT (that is more thread than 1.6mm) I am good to go and my insurance will pay out.

OK.. I appreciate that if one fits 22" spinners without notifying insurance this could be considered as "undeclared modification". But putting tyres with +/-5 profile or, +/- 10 mm of width and declaring it as mod is far too sensitive.

That is IS mk3 size right? It is an option as well, however the price of the tyres are somewhere in between of 245/45 and 255/45 + it could be argued it is worse option than 245/45 - because you don't get any fuel efficiency benefits and as well have thinner sidewall which makes ride harder.

Yep, MK3 size. I doubt there would be any significant ride quality or fuel efficiency differences.

Lina's. P
The issue arises that they are not the factory fit size...
It's a real minefield.
I remember reading years ago in the news that a women had smashed up her MR2 roadster and because it didn't have the specified Bridgestone potenzas designed for that model the insurance was trying to refuse to pay out.
I'd add that in years gone by you used to have to tell the insurance you were fitting winter tires tho these days they don't bother....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Insurance is fraud - if you let them BS you they will... anything just to avoid paying out. However, Insurance contracts are not above the law... car modifications are grey area and as I said if you have something really out of shape they can reasonably argue that your cars is "modified". Fitting slightly different tyres on factory wheels or even factory spec. well would be hard to deem modification.

When it comes to insurance I would advise not to listen to anyone on the forum (including me), best option go and read your contract, because all the contracts are different. As I said mine only requires for car to be road worthy - that is all. But yours might say you must have Bridgestone Turanza 005 (that at least at some point was OE tire for IS250).

• Like 1

That's me f##ked then cause mines got Michelin's that are about done on the front and a pair of accelera Chinese Ditch finders on the rear...
I cannot wait to put 4 matching sportmax rt2 on the 250c!!!!

Just an update to the thread.
I've been keeping a close eye on the front Michelin's as they are getting close to the wear indicators...
Been out today for the weekly check to find some really bad cracking is occurring all round the tires on both fronts !!! This has occurred within a week !!!

So it's in for a pair of Dunlop sport max rt2 later today..

A fair price, a very quiet tire at 69db and an A rating for wet and a C rating for fuel.

I would have fitted rears at the same time as the accelera ditchfinders whilst relatively new on the rear are horrible but in the next month I've 4 tires to fit on the alltrack Passat before it goes on its summer camping jaunt to the south of France...

I will report back on how they fair on the 250c, as the 250c is heavier than the saloon and how quiet they are.

Paul.
9dcefa37195680164f7c86c3545e9c2e.jpg

Got an is220d. As you know front and back different sizes. Had to go up a speed rating on black circles to get all four the same make. Fitted the Dunlop sport maxx rt2 tyres on mine. Great tyres in the wet, good wear, plenty of depth left after 3 years, would recommend them to anyone. 

• Like 1

Got an is220d. As you know front and back different sizes. Had to go up a speed rating on black circles to get all four the same make. Fitted the Dunlop sport maxx rt2 tyres on mine. Great tyres in the wet, good wear, plenty of depth left after 3 years, would recommend them to anyone. 

I’ll keep them in mind when I change them. Where about in Liverpool are you from.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Kellogsj
Only early days and first 300 mile on the sportmax rt2. The steering and lack of tramlining is brill. Really feels like a different car. They are extremely quiet. All I can hear at 70mph is the accelera brand ditchfinders on the rear of the 250c now.

But when the Mrs who uses the car the most comments that it feels better and more planted and doesn't follow lines in the road, that's a real recommend.
I swear my better half wouldn't realise if she was driving on a flat tire...

In Huyton mate, haven’t got a purple wheelie bin anymore though sob sob

Same here mate, this is the furthest I’ve lived from town. Only been here 5 weeks. Do you know Milton Avenue.

Kellogsj
Only early days and first 300 mile on the sportmax rt2. The steering and lack of tramlining is brill. Really feels like a different car. They are extremely quiet. All I can hear at 70mph is the accelera brand ditchfinders on the rear of the 250c now.

But when the Mrs who uses the car the most comments that it feels better and more planted and doesn't follow lines in the road, that's a real recommend.
I swear my better half wouldn't realise if she was driving on a flat tire...

How much did they cost mate.

Fronts were £81 each fitted at a local independent. I did phone round. Halfrauds autocentre, national, kwikfit were all around 87-90

I need the rears for mine which are 255/40 18, but the lads on here are saying 245/40 18 will be also be good to go on. Cheaper too.

11 minutes ago, kellogsj said:

I need the rears for mine which are 255/40 18, but the lads on here are saying 245/40 18 will be also be good to go on. Cheaper too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rd or 2nd Gen IS? 

255s on 3IS and on 2IS but on 3IS they're 255/35. Of course you can chop and change but bear in mind the sidewall depth is different so if you've got 225/40 on the front, the rears will have a thicker sidewall giving an appearance mismatch on 245/40 and 255/40. Less so on 245.

Yes I'd seen that myself kellogsj.

My concern with the 245 is actually insurance. It's not the correct size for the car and I'd sooner not run that risk.

I have had enough fights with insurance over fitting the official VW winter tire/alloy package to my Passat alltrack 4wd.

Insurance tries to claim it's a modification. But it's the official product from the manufacturer for winter use..

It gets even more interesting when you ask for a discount [emoji38] as you've made the car safer by not driving on summer tires in winter lol....

What prices have you found the 255x40x18 for ? Is that a normal tire or run flat ?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Yes I'd seen that myself kellogsj.
My concern with the 245 is actually insurance. It's not the correct size for the car and I'd sooner not run that risk.
I have had enough fights with insurance over fitting the official VW winter tire/alloy package to my Passat alltrack 4wd.
Insurance tries to claim it's a modification. But it's the official product from the manufacturer for winter use..
It gets even more interesting when you ask for a discount [emoji38] as you've made the car safer by not driving on summer tires in winter lol....

What prices have you found the 255x40x18 for ? Is that a normal tire or run flat ?

Cheers

Paul

255’s fitted with Goodyear asymmetric 2’s NRF are coming out at £165 each fitted from Costco. You can’t get the 3’s in NRF. That’s why I’ve looked at the 2’s. The fronts are 3’ NRF.

That's why I'm asking M8. I don't want run flats under any circumstances bar 1 particular option.

The factory fit conti sport contact 2 on my alltrack have a gel insert. Not a true run flat. If you get a puncture the gel insert seals the tire. I can say it does work too.
The contis have done over 35k but the alltrack is 4wd/AWD.

Obviously being conti and offering a gel puncture resistance they are hellish expensive. Also as they have worn they have got very very rumbly, to the point I've had the car checked twice for wheel bearings and drive shaft uj's.

And boy are those tires heavy.

I don't know if the newer sport contact 5 is available with that gel insert. At conti prices, I've not bothered to look.

I doing wish the other tire manufacturers would offer similar tho.

3rd or 2nd Gen IS? 
255s on 3IS and on 2IS but on 3IS they're 255/35. Of course you can chop and change but bear in mind the sidewall depth is different so if you've got 225/40 on the front, the rears will have a thicker sidewall giving an appearance mismatch on 245/40 and 255/40. Less so on 245.

Mines a 2nd gen. so you would stick with 255’s then. Thanks

That's why I'm asking M8. I don't want run flats under any circumstances bar 1 particular option.

The factory fit conti sport contact 2 on my alltrack have a gel insert. Not a true run flat. If you get a puncture the gel insert seals the tire. I can say it does work too.

Obviously being conti and offering a gel puncture resistance they are hellish expensive. Also as they have worn they have got very very rumbly, to the point I've had the car checked twice for wheel bearings and drive shaft uj's.

I don't know if the newer sport contact 5 is available with that gel insert. At conti prices, I've not bothered to look.

The Goodyear’s are expensive. So I’m guessing the conti prices would be even more so.

The Goodyear’s are expensive. So I’m guessing the conti prices would be even more so.

8 hours ago, kellogsj said:

Mines a 2nd gen. so you would stick with 255’s then. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep 255/40

Black circles have them for £151 Inc fitting. There is also a further discount of £10 if buying 2 so they'd be £146 each fitted

• Like 1

Yep 255/40
Black circles have them for £151 Inc fitting. There is also a further discount of £10 if buying 2 so they'd be £146 each fitted

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks

Another recommendation for Uniroyal Rainsport 3 here. Just fitted 225/40/18 fronts and 255/35/18 rears 2 weeks ago and they do inspire confidence and strangely feels like there is a lot less roll when cornering. Great tyres for a great price - £417 fitted.

• Like 1