Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Utterly flabbergasted and disgusted

7 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Just been looking at my rear brake pipes. Fortunately able to see them without jacking the car up. This I'm possibly able to do because mine has a modified exhaust with very small rear boxes. I should think the large stock boxes would obscure the view. I can see where the flexi joins the metal pipe at the mounting bracket, and there is no corrosion at all. I can even see numbers printed on the pipes. I'm assuming that's where gb1600e experienced his problems. If it was, there does appear to be enough exposed pipe to allow a repair with a short section of  new pipe and a join. To do a thorough check would obviously require inspection on a lift. Be interesting to know where DarISF's failure was.

My car is a June 2011 model.

Yep Paul @PRT68 that's where mine was corroded, and very corroded too.  Strange as the rest of the underside of the car is in very good condition. I could have had the car recovered from Lexus Derby to somewhere else and had them piece in a repair up behind the arch liner for a fraction of the price but is done now. In engineering terms an extra joint would be fine but feels like bodging up your brakes so I have no regrets I went with replacing both pipes.

• Like 1

@PRT68 They failed the whole pipe which was an outright fabrication.  On inspection today the point where something could have been actually observed as a 'point of interest' would have been at the far end of the rear of the hard pipes where they couple with the flexi pipes.  There was a 2cm length of rust which would have been creep from the coupler which has a lot of surface rust. Wire brush and emery cloth exposed there was no detrimental corrosion at all..

Dar

• Like 1

Morning all. The join at the flexi / metal bracket is certainly in an exposed place and would be subject to being peppered by water and muck from the tyres.

Certainly, from looking at the area from the side with the wheel removed, it does look like the pipe disappears up behind the arch liner. But it doesn't. It goes up about 7 or 8 cms, then  rearwards for 3 or 4 and then down again to make a 3 sided rectangle. And as far as I can see when on my back, then goes towards the centre of the car. As I mentioned, there is ample room and pipe to effect a repair if desired. Perhaps this can't be seen if the original silencers are in place. 

Hopefully these incidents will inspire other owners to inspect and protect.

• Thanks 1

My GS has the exact same spot flagged as an advisory for a few years. So maybe it's a common weak area across the range? Lexus highlighted them on it's initial health check and I'm shocked to see the dealer cost to repair. When mine need work then I'll sort them myself.

17 hours ago, DarISF said:

I'll never return to Lexus even if it does mean losing my dealership stamps on servicing.

and the coffee and biscuits ! :no2:

Malc

On 6/7/2019 at 2:54 AM, DarISF said:

So, at total dealer estimate of a staggering £8577.29! This equates to just over 50% of what I paid for the car last year. Even factoring in labour this is an absolute outrage. It's certainly no more than a 2 day job and that's being generous.

🙂

Haha...thats the best one yet in over a decade on here...cheers