Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My three month ownership of an NX has finally come to an end. I really wanted to like the car and it was pretty nice around town, but I just couldn’t live with its numerous flaws. The biggest issue was the seating position that utterly crippled me. I think it’s down to the fact I’m tall and have the seat most of the way back. There just doesn’t seem to be enough reach adjustment on the steering wheel, combined with the lack of lumbar support.

Ive never gelled with the cvt gearbox and found the screaming revs when asking for even a modest amount of power embarrassing. On the test drive, I convinced myself it wouldn’t be an issue, but I never grew accustomed to it.

Finally, there is the shockingly poor infotainment system that had me shouting at it in frustration at times. A fairly expensive lesson that proves you should always buy the car you want rather than the one you think you need.

More worryingly was the difficulty in moving it on. Many dealers just didn’t want it and even Lexus dealers weren’t interested. I eventually got p/x’d it, but with a painful loss. It appears hybrids aren’t in demand as much as I thought they would be. It’s going to a trade sales garage, a bit of a sad result for a three month old premium brand.

Hope you all continue to enjoy yours, I doubt I’ll be returning to the brand

I don’t think the infotainment is that bad. Yesterday I walked past a Mitsubishi I think it was and saw they had a similar track pad set up on the central console. Probably copying Lexus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hybrids are in great demand as the price rises over the last few months in the secondhand market demonstrate.

The problem is more likely that it's an NX, which does beg the question, if you're a tall person why didn't you go for the larger RX?

A little bit of research on the e-CVT and hybrid drivetrain would have allowed you to understand how they operate and, although a bit noisier when giving it beans, they are much better than a 'traditional' auto box in almost every way - just turn the radio up  :laughing:

I've got a late 2013 car so I have no idea how that compares to a 2019 in respect of the infotainment system, but I'm happy enough with mine except for the abysmal satnav and there I do agree with you - I just use Waze on my phone and have the Lexus screen showing anything except satnav.

I'm truly sorry that you haven't been able to enjoy your new car but I'm afraid the problems don't really lie with Lexus, in all fairness.

• Like 2

The resale point is interesting, especially as a) the NX has one of the highest predicted residual values after three years of any mid-sized SUV (53% according to What Car?) and b) just this week I had an email from Lexus asking to buy my car, even if I didn't buy another one as they need stock. 

If I were a dealer I'd be concerned at buying a three month old car if it wasn't my marque. Most won't be able to retail it themselves, so will need to trade it. When I was trying to move on my VW Tiguan diesel, I had two dealers who wouldn't offer on it as it had the DSG gearbox, even though it was under warranty and had just had the gearbox replaced. In the end I traded it in at a massive loss. That's how life works. If you need to sell, and a dealer knows it, then you can't expect a good deal...

...should also add that this time last year when I moved from NX #1 to NX #2, the dealer put my old NX up for sale for MORE than I paid for it one year earlier! 

• Like 2

Had exactly the same problem with the seating position/ steering wheel position. Kept mine for two years and then swapped to an RX, big difference for the better except for the financial hit.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Hybrids are in great demand as the price rises over the last few months in the secondhand market demonstrate.

The problem is more likely that it's an NX, which does beg the question, if you're a tall person why didn't you go for the larger RX?

A little bit of research on the e-CVT and hybrid drivetrain would have allowed you to understand how they operate and, although a bit noisier when giving it beans, they are much better than a 'traditional' auto box in almost every way - just turn the radio up  :laughing:

I've got a late 2013 car so I have no idea how that compares to a 2019 in respect of the infotainment system, but I'm happy enough with mine except for the abysmal satnav and there I do agree with you - I just use Waze on my phone and have the Lexus screen showing anything except satnav.

I'm truly sorry that you haven't been able to enjoy your new car but I'm afraid the problems don't really lie with Lexus, in all fairness.

I didn't buy a RX because I didn't have £40k plus and didn't want one.

I did plenty of research on the gearbox. I just thought I could live with the noise and the lack of torque. I couldn't. To suggest it's a 'bit noisier' is something of an understatement.

What cars are advertised for and what they still for are two different things. I just know I've never had such difficulty trading a car.

It was well put together, sometimes refined but too flawed for me. You live and learn. 

I tried an NX about a year ago to replace my IS300H. Took it for a lengthy drive which left me very disappointed. I felt the car to be underpowered and did not have enough torque. This causes the engine to revv up and keep it there too frequently. It just didnt do it for me. The infotainment was not a breaker coming from an IS so i was used to it.

Next i tested a Volvo XC40T5 and was just blown away. It drives circles around the NX. The engine has 250hp and lots of low down torque making it effortless to drive. The cabin is just as well built as the NX, design is refreshingly new interior and exterior. Chassis and handling more comfortable and better in corners.  The infotainment makes you feel you step into 2019 coming from the outdates Lexus systems. In short The XC beats the NX on all fronts except fuel, the NX feels old compared to the latest competition.  I bought one.  

That's a shame. What are you moving onto instead?

I understand your reasoning and went through something similar myself earlier this year. For the previous four years I'd had an Avensis Tourer, just a 2.0 diesel but it was a useful tool - lots of space inside and plenty of torque even if it wasn't the quietest or most sophisticated thing. When the time came to change I went for the 1.8 petrol version of the same model, but it was a rather joyless car and within 2-3 months I was wishing I hadn't bought it. It had no torque, which seems to be an issue with many modern, non-turbo petrol engines.

Fortunately I'd put enough of a deposit down not to end up with significant negative equity, but I lost a substantial amount having had it for just a year, due to the difference between main dealer retail price and part-ex value plus a year's natural depreciation.

Oddly enough, seeing an NX was what got me thinking about buying a Lexus as a replacement for the Avensis - I prefer the look of it to the current RX. However, I fairly quickly realised that it wouldn't have the space I was used to with the Avensis and the use of a 4-cyl engine concerned me. To match the practicality, roominess and torque of the Avensis diesel I went for a previous-gen RX.

Luckily I'm a bit of a Luddite so the rather basic infotainment system doesn't bother me, and at least I get a stick to control it. However, a friend was showing me what the set-up in his new Jaguar E-Pace can do and it puts the Lexus system to shame.

The above being said, I'd still be interested to give the NX a go if I get offered one as a courtesy car. If they update it with the new RAV4 engine then maybe it would be a better bet? The NX's size would be fine for us when my children are driving and don't need ferrying around so much.

Isn't it difficult on a test drive to pick up the everyday things that can make or break life with a car? As you also suggest, there is the tendency to overlook potential issues or think you'll be able to live with them, but the opposite ends up being the case.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

I tried an NX about a year ago to replace my IS300H. Took it for a lengthy drive which left me very disappointed. I felt the car to be underpowered and did not have enough torque. This causes the engine to revv up and keep it there too frequently. It just didnt do it for me. The infotainment was not a breaker coming from an IS so i was used to it.

Next i tested a Volvo XC40T5 and was just blown away. It drives circles around the NX. The engine has 250hp and lots of low down torque making it effortless to drive. The cabin is just as well built as the NX, design is refreshingly new interior and exterior. Chassis and handling more comfortable and better in corners.  The infotainment makes you feel you step into 2019 coming from the outdates Lexus systems. In short The XC beats the NX on all fronts except fuel, the NX feels old compared to the latest competition.  I bought one.  

I like the look of the Volvo XC40, but a friend who has bought a brand new diesel version is disappointed with the number of quality issues. She also finds it quite noisy, but it is the diesel. Performance is pretty good though, better than the NX.

Mis-aligned doors, a mis-aligned rear bumper, and creaks and rattles in the cabin. The fuel filler broke too. Nothing too serious, and all fixed under warranty, but she was impressed with the quality of the NX interior by comparison. The Volvo cabin looks lovely and the seats are nice, but her experience makes me wonder if there is real depth to the build. Have you had any issues @dutchie01?

No, absolutely nothing. I find the build quality on par with Lexus. I currently drive a Volvo V60T5 estate ( after 3 months with the XC40 i wrote it off in a big accident rolling it on the highway so i could test the safetykit first hand which got full marks very impressive indeed car landed on its roof slid 200mtrs until standstill all windows intact roof not even pushed in 1 mm) and the V60 as well has thesame rocksolid feeling. Nice materials soft touch. Nothing went wrong in the 10k kms i have it, nothing went wrong with the XC as well. Mind you the NX is a bit long in the teeth now and is likely to be replaced soon by a new version based on the brandnew Toyota RAV4 so it will also grow in size which it must as the UX is pretty close now.

take one for a testdrive you wont regret it.

I did test drive one when they first came out. It was ok (I went with another NX instead) but I noticed some issues with exterior fit and finish at the time - I’m a bit OCD like that. 

The biggest inconsistency was at the tops of the doors - front and back didn’t exactly meet properly - I took the salesman round the 3 they had in stock and showed him! Also the tailgate, lights and bumper panel gaps were variable side to side - not by much, but enough for me to notice. At the time the salesman said it was because they were ‘early’ production cars, but it was enough to put me off.

My friend has similar issues, not serious and easily corrected but not brilliant on a premium brand. I guess a lot of people wouldn’t notice, but things like that would drive me mad!

Nice cars though. I like Volvo as a brand, and my brother had a V70 that he loved, despite having some reliability problems (it was leased so not that important to him).

Perceptions are fascinating. My friend found my NX quieter and smoother than her XC 40 diesel, but needs a diesel to tow so an NX was never on her radar. Personally, although I found the NX quite noticeably quieter than her car, I thought the ride in the Volvo was smoother! 

No, absolutely nothing. I find the build quality on par with Lexus. I currently drive a Volvo V60T5 estate ( after 3 months with the XC40 i wrote it off in a big accident rolling it on the highway so i could test the safetykit first hand which got full marks very impressive indeed car landed on its roof slid 200mtrs until standstill all windows intact roof not even pushed in 1 mm) and the V60 as well has thesame rocksolid feeling. Nice materials soft touch. Nothing went wrong in the 10k kms i have it, nothing went wrong with the XC as well. Mind you the NX is a bit long in the teeth now and is likely to be replaced soon by a new version based on the brandnew Toyota RAV4 so it will also grow in size which it must as the UX is pretty close now.
take one for a testdrive you wont regret it.

I’m afraid the build quality isn’t up to par with Lexus by any means. My dad has one, lots of rattles and creaks and iffy windscreen wipers. My 12 year old RX runs rings around it in quality

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Isn't it difficult on a test drive to pick up the everyday things that can make or break life with a car? As you also suggest, there is the tendency to overlook potential issues or think you'll be able to live with them, but the opposite ends up being the case.

Absolutely. I had the NX for 24hrs, but that consisted of driving it home and around the local area. It didn't have the premium pack, so I dismissed some of the issues with the seat as I thought the higher spec would give lumbar support. I picked up on the CVT scream, but thought that I'd get used to it (I didn't). It's not that it only happens if your really pushing on. Overtaking on a dual carriageway or going up a steep hill was bordering on embarrassing with the high revs. 

The inform system is so Labour intensive it simply can't be used on the move. Lexus need to take a really good look at their system and compare it to rivals. They are leagues behind Audi and BMW.

It's a shame as I like the look of the car and intended to keep it for a while. But life is too short so away it went.

• Like 1

Ive never gelled with the cvt gearbox and found the screaming revs when asking for even a modest amount of power embarrassing.

Agree with this. I thought it was more down to the engine but whatever the high revving noise is just embarrassing. It's like you're overtaking in a 1 litre car thrashing the socks off it. After driving an RX which was just quiet, effortless and fast I do miss that. (Shame the newer RXs are too big for my garage.)

• Like 2

CRO-Inline-Chart-Built-In-Systems-Rating

Interesting that they rate the older mouse-based system higher than the touchpad. 

Also note that for 2019, Lexus have re-introduced the touchscreen to the RX, presumably other models will follow. 

It is interesting reading different opinions. I’ve never had any issue with the noise of accelerating or swiftness of progress. I’ll admit I drive in a relaxed and smooth manner, but reading some of the comments about the NX it’s like I’m driving a different car. 

I’ve got another friend with a new Discovery Sport. I’m convinced it is the quietest SUV I’ve been in - and I’ve been in a lot. Weirdly, he thinks the NX is quieter...as they say, ‘perception is reality.’

I’ve also done a few thousand miles in two versions of the new RX. Sacrilege to say I know, but I wasn’t that impressed, and said so at the time...

I’ve also gone on record about my loathing for the BMW i-Drive system. I find it awful, very counter intuitive, as do a few of my colleagues with BMW company cars. The VAG system and - whisper it - the Citroen system, are far better from my perspective. Played with the latest Mazda too, also pretty good. And all better than Lexus. 

13 hours ago, LexusIS300h said:

What car did you get Paul?

A BMW. I have to say, the interior and infotainment make the Lexus feel very last generation. It really is superb

20190611_063221.jpg

• Like 2

A BMW. I have to say, the interior and infotainment make the Lexus feel very last generation. It really is superb
20190611_063221.thumb.jpg.e10d45c8dfe7cda84b75f1e681e449d4.jpg

I couldn’t disagree more. BMW is fine if you enjoy tram lining wheels, rock hard ride and spartan interior and crap reliability.

Nothing last gen about my RX 450 , mate.

8 minutes ago, ISJason said:

I have driven the NX a number of times and never experienced screaming revs.

Bizarre. If you've made any attempt to overtake or join a motorway you can't fail to hear it. It's a characteristic of the car. I appreciate people get defensive of their car choice, but every single on line review mentions it. 

I agree the older BMWs had a lacklustre interior. However, the new G20 series which mine is, is great. 

But if people are happy with their NX that's fine. If we all liked the same, the world would be a boring place

36 minutes ago, Quietlife said:

Bizarre. If you've made any attempt to overtake or join a motorway you can't fail to hear it. It's a characteristic of the car. I appreciate people get defensive of their car choice, but every single on line review mentions it. 

I agree the older BMWs had a lacklustre interior. However, the new G20 series which mine is, is great. 

But if people are happy with their NX that's fine. If we all liked the same, the world would be a boring place

I don’t think it’s bizarre. It’s been discussed many times - broadly, if you drive smoothly and don’t rush, you won’t experience it. Drive with a heavy right foot - as reviewers do and others -and you will. As with most things it depends on the individual, style and preference. Car choice is the same - people like and value different things.

Hopefully you’ll be happy with your choice this time. There’s a BMW forum somewhere waiting for you...

• Like 1

I've been biting my tongue for so long that I've drawn blood but I can keep quiet no longer.

I mean no offence to anyone but I just think it's sad when there's so much more in life to worry about. There are perhaps millions of people out there who will never be able to afford a brand new car, let alone a brand new Lexus, and yet when someone is fortunate enough to get one, they are put off by such a trivial problem that other people would love to be in a position to have.

It's not like the cars are even faulty. It's just the way they work and even that's only under certain conditions that are only present for a fraction of journey times.

Last weekend we purposely avoided motorways and had a lovely bimble purely on A-roads from Peterborough back to Preston. If I remember correctly it was about 175 miles and took about 4 hours. We noticed what may possibly be classed as 'excessive noise' from the eCVT on maybe half a dozen occasions during that time, as I went to do quick overtakes. Never once did I feel "embarrassed" about it and each time it was over and done with in mere seconds.

I will admit that on one of those occasions I could see that the overtaking lane would soon be coming to an end and I wanted to get in front of an HGV before it did, so I put my foot down and completed the manoeuvre with room to spare. Unfortunately, the NIP I've just received in the post informs me that the speed limit on there is 60, which I must have been very close to because the acceleration to complete the overtake in time took me to 74 according the the speed camera van that happened to be watching 😭 But hey-ho, such is life.

Getting a speeding ticket is something to be embarrassed about - having a brand new luxury car with no faults, that is maybe just a little noisy at certain times, is most definitely not.

• Like 5

you know when a new music comes on the radio and you hate the guts of it but they keep on playing it over and over day in day out until you start knowing the words and start humming to it. same way with the 2.5 4 cylinder hybrid engine + eCVT combination...  it will keep getting slated and slated by reviewers day in day out until you actually think there is something wrong with it and the way it drives...  someone please tell me a 4 cylinder diesel engine is never noisy under WOT acceleration?

• Like 3

I've been biting my tongue for so long that I've drawn blood but I can keep quiet no longer.
I mean no offence to anyone but I just think it's sad when there's so much more in life to worry about. There are perhaps millions of people out there who will never be able to afford a brand new car, let alone a brand new Lexus, and yet when someone is fortunate enough to get one, they are put off by such a trivial problem that other people would love to be in a position to have.
It's not like the cars are even faulty. It's just the way they work and even that's only under certain conditions that are only present for a fraction of journey times.
Last weekend we purposely avoided motorways and had a lovely bimble purely on A-roads from Peterborough back to Preston. If I remember correctly it was about 175 miles and took about 4 hours. We noticed what may possibly be classed as 'excessive noise' from the eCVT on maybe half a dozen occasions during that time, as I went to do quick overtakes. Never once did I feel "embarrassed" about it and each time it was over and done with in mere seconds.
I will admit that on one of those occasions I could see that the overtaking lane would soon be coming to an end and I wanted to get in front of an HGV before it did, so I put my foot down and completed the manoeuvre with room to spare. Unfortunately, the NIP I've just received in the post informs me that the speed limit on there is 60, which I must have been very close to because the acceleration to complete the overtake in time took me to 74 according the the speed camera van that happened to be watching [emoji24] But hey-ho, such is life.
Getting a speeding ticket is something to be embarrassed about - having a brand new luxury car with no faults, that is maybe just a little noisy at certain times, is most definitely not.

Yes, the nit picking is overwhelming on this topic. The NX is a great car, people should be grateful that such a great marque as Lexus exists.

• Like 3