Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

36 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Yes, the nit picking is overwhelming on this topic. The NX is a great car, people should be grateful that such a great marque as Lexus exists.

Seriously? This thread is starting to border on cult status.

Perhaps I should save myself the grief, but like Herbie said, there is only so long I can bite my tongue.

I kept reading hoping that sense would prevail, but the amount of passive aggressive talk on this thread is embarrassing.

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made!  The points that Paul raised at the beginning about the infotainment system and CVT gearbox are well founded and very annoying considering how well Lexus do other things.  When I put my foot down hard I am a little embarrassed by the drone that permeates the cabin (although the sound of the V6 makes up for it somewhat).

The fact is that there is nothing wrong with not liking the NX, but you guys seem to take it personally that someone doesn't agree with you about how great it is.

Oh, and having sampled the new BMW 3 series, the interior is superb and so far ahead of the Lexus offering that it is not funny.

Having said that, I still love my GS, so perhaps I will stick around here rather than find a BMW forum like suggested above....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Seriously? This thread is starting to border on cult status.

Perhaps I should save myself the grief, but like Herbie said, there is only so long I can bite my tongue.

I kept reading hoping that sense would prevail, but the amount of passive aggressive talk on this thread is embarrassing.

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made!  The points that Paul raised at the beginning about the infotainment system and CVT gearbox are well founded and very annoying considering how well Lexus do other things.  When I put my foot down hard I am a little embarrassed by the drone that permeates the cabin (although the sound of the V6 makes up for it somewhat).

The fact is that there is nothing wrong with not liking the NX, but you guys seem to take it personally that someone doesn't agree with you about how great it is.

Oh, and having sampled the new BMW 3 series, the interior is superb and so far ahead of the Lexus offering that it is not funny.

Having said that, I still love my GS, so perhaps I will stick around here rather than find a BMW forum like suggested above....

The NX is screaming for something like the 450h setup to be put inside. I suspect they won't do it simply down to the fact it'd stop people moving up to the RX.

The 200t was a good engine in the NX, quite punchy, however, we live in a day and age where economy seems to prevail above everything else and therefore these didn't sell very well so this option was removed.

Ive never found the infotainment that bad on Lexus - seems to be similiar to Merc to be honest. 

Having said that the OP is comparing a 4 year old design to a Brand new BMW, seems a bit far fetched. The infotainment system in the son's 2015 C class is of similiar frustration

All the above makes me believe I was correct to run- in my F-Sport for the first 1K mile !

The AVS is sublime even in Sport S.

The acceleration in the  above mode equals my previous F-Sport IS & the 6-speed gearbox is no different to that in my ISF, range apart.

Based around My Lexus, HUD & Info Screen the Nav works perfectly.

I achieve c. 42.mpg in D & 38.8 mpg in Sport S.

Nox levels of emissions are 40 times lower than Euro 6 Diesels & Lexus Build & Reliability is a Global given.

My Mk.2 ISF had the best ride of the F-Sports by a mile until my NX with its floppy 18" tyres & revised AVS.

Hard acceleration  emits a distant whine as though the rear electric motor joins the rush

Great SUV.

Tel.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made

I agree, which is why I went for RX rather than NX.

Seating is very definitely a deal breaker. I know because I've got a back injury and seating has to be just right or I'm in agony for days, so I'm 100% with the OP on that score.

My incredulity stems from the fact that someone is rejecting not just a particular model of car but a range, and even a whole brand of car, based on such a 'first world problem' of not liking two such trivial aspects of it - two aspects that will fade into insignificance over time as you either get used to them, or find workarounds for them.

I cannot abide the inbuilt satnav in my RX, so I use Waze on my phone instead - problem solved.

If the perfectly-working transmission makes an occasional noise, I either lift up my right foot slightly or turn up the radio, or more realistically and likely, I just ignore it because it'll be gone in a few seconds - problem solved.

It's just beyond my understanding how someone can have sleepless nights worrying about such minor stuff, and to be so worried about it that you're willing to lose a few thousand quid along the way in trade-in value.

My problem is that I've made this personal and I shouldn't have done. His money, his life, and he can do whatever he wants with them. I never meant to offend anyone and if I have, I'm sorry. It's just beyond my sphere of comprehension and even if I sat here and pondered on it for the next year, I still don't think I could understand the rationale behind it, so with that I'm going to bow out of this thread, and again, sorry.

• Like 2

@Herbie That is a nicely thought out post and somewhat restores my faith in what makes this forum such a great place.

I suppose the moral of this thread is each to their own.

One person's trivial is anothers necessity.  You would be amazed at what some of my friends will obsess over during a purchase.

For me, the level of equipment is actually quite important.  It is the main reason why I made sure to get a Premier model, even though I could have had a much larger choice of car if I hadn't.  Do I need 18 way adjustable seats and an electric rear blind?  No, but I love my car even more for it having them.

Funnily enough, infotainment is a important factor in my car purchases, it is just that I don't mind the Lexus system too much and I love the 12.3 inch screen.

The general jist of what I am trying to get at is, if there is a perfect car out there I am yet to find it, so there are always going to be compromises.  However, what people are willing to compromise on varies wildly, so sometimes you just have to accept that what they consider important doesn't make sense to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

My incredulity stems from the fact that someone is rejecting not just a particular model of car but a range, and even a whole brand of car, based on such a 'first world problem' of not liking two such trivial aspects of it - two aspects that will fade into insignificance over time as you either get used to them, or find workarounds for them.

I’m not sure what thread you’ve been reading, but it isn’t the one I started. If you want to show where I’ve rejected a ‘whole brand of car’ based on ‘two trivial aspects’, feel free to quote those parts.

The car has been changed because the seat caused me severe back pain on every journey. The other features such as the gearbox and the infotainment were not ‘trivial’, but I could’ve lived with them, even if they spoilt my driving enjoyment. There were certainly no sleepless nights.

When I sat in an RX, it felt in a whole different league, but was over the £40k tax bracket. However, Lexus IS a car company, it’s not the chosen transport of Jesus *****.

As I’ve said previously, if you’re happy to tootle  around in your car turning your radio up every time you need to accelerate to join a motorway safely, good for you. 

Personally, I value my back and it is entirely my fault that I looked at the Lexus manual and assumed that the premium pack included lumbar support. It is my fault that I didn’t spend more time in the car  and play around with things and it’s my fault I thought I could live with the CVT drone.

i consider life to short to make comprises on something as expensive as a car, so I moved it on. I am thrilled with my BMW. The new interior is amazing, it’s a great drive and feels a generation ahead of the Lexus. This will now be my last post on the forum so I wish you all well with your cars

• Like 1

I've come late to this thread - so late that I've missed Paul. It's worth picking up on the oft-discussed "CVT drone" and "gearbox" points though. Owners who enjoy their NXs may feel defensive about this because motoring journalists cut and paste the same criticisms of Lexus models from one review to the next.  As long as people expect to hear a linear relationship between engine revs and road speed, they will never get used to a modern hybrid.  Even describing the compact power-split e-CVT unit as a "gearbox" kind of misses the point, as though Lexus & Toyota selected it in preference to conventional transmission options for the hell of it.  Over 14 years of hybrid ownership I've got completely used to the decoupling of engine speed from road speed, and I still think that the Lexus/Toyota hybrid system is a generation *ahead* of any pure ICE drivetrain. It's a fact than when accelerating hard the NX hybrid system is noisy.  It's also a fact that most of the rest of the time - and especially in urban situations - it's much quieter. Since hard acceleration is probably less than 1% of the time spent in the car, it's a tradeoff I'm delighted to make.  Others - like Paul - may differ.  There's still a challenge for Lexus sales staff in articulating this for potential buyers; and a risk that Lexus might be tempted to compromise the efficiency of the hybrid architecture by trying to replicate the behavior of conventional drivetrains. Perhaps all of this will be rendered irrelevant by the arrival of Lexus EVs in a few years.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, dutchie01 said:

I tried an NX about a year ago to replace my IS300H. Took it for a lengthy drive which left me very disappointed. I felt the car to be underpowered and did not have enough torque. This causes the engine to revv up and keep it there too frequently. It just didnt do it for me. The infotainment was not a breaker coming from an IS so i was used to it.

Next i tested a Volvo XC40T5 and was just blown away. It drives circles around the NX. The engine has 250hp and lots of low down torque making it effortless to drive. The cabin is just as well built as the NX, design is refreshingly new interior and exterior. Chassis and handling more comfortable and better in corners.  The infotainment makes you feel you step into 2019 coming from the outdates Lexus systems. In short The XC beats the NX on all fronts except fuel, the NX feels old compared to the latest competition.  I bought one.  

I looked at the Volvo T5 (nice car) but after reading owners getting only 29mpg decided to give it a miss...

I have to say, I really enjoy my NX.  Sure its not in the same "image" as a german rival but I look beyond the badge.

- Infotainment system.  Yes its a generation behind but it plays music/radio, navigation gets me from a to be.  It may not have fancy graphics or a hundred settings, it just does what it says on the tin.

- Performance.  I have the 200t f-sport.  It is quick if you can drive it properly and it does suffer a bit of torque steer if you are not aware of it. It is also thirsty, around 21 mpg in town driving, around 27 mpg suburban and around 35 mpg on motorways.  I did drive a hybrid but that was sooooooo much slower.  I would probably have looked at other cars, had I tested that before the T.  

- Build quality.  Its a Lexus, the reputation says it all really.  Compare reliability to BMW and Mercedes.  Which car will spend more time in the shop? 

- Prestige. How many Range Rover/Land Rovers, BMWs, Audis, Jaguars, Mercedes are there on the road compared to Lexus?  Are you a "follow the crowd" or do you want individuality?

-Drive.  I have no issues with the drive.  Its quiet, smooth and comfortable.  I have driven it on all roads, A, B and motorway and it glides.  I haven't noticed much roll in corners on day to day rides or perhaps I am just used to it.  I do think the quality of the tyres also sway my view but then I put decent summer and winters on the car.

-Overall.  Yes its not perfect but its very good IMHO.

• Like 3

On 6/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, Quietlife said:

I’m not sure what thread you’ve been reading, but it isn’t the one I started. If you want to show where I’ve rejected a ‘whole brand of car’ based on ‘two trivial aspects’, feel free to quote those parts.

The car has been changed because the seat caused me severe back pain on every journey. The other features such as the gearbox and the infotainment were not ‘trivial’, but I could’ve lived with them, even if they spoilt my driving enjoyment. There were certainly no sleepless nights.

When I sat in an RX, it felt in a whole different league, but was over the £40k tax bracket. However, Lexus IS a car company, it’s not the chosen transport of Jesus *****.

As I’ve said previously, if you’re happy to tootle  around in your car turning your radio up every time you need to accelerate to join a motorway safely, good for you. 

Personally, I value my back and it is entirely my fault that I looked at the Lexus manual and assumed that the premium pack included lumbar support. 

The bad back issue was why I bought an older RX rather than an NX. 

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

The bad back issue was why I bought an older RX rather than an NX. 

^^ The seat comfort, along with pedal position and ease of access was the specific reason why I bought the NX.

When you have a disability - or a back problem I guess - it highlights the importance of a thorough test drive. To be fair, the RX was equally comfortable in terms of the seat, but the additional height made it problematic for me. There are whole brands of car where the seat design doesn't suit me, and that's fine. I wouldn't buy a car without thorough research and testing, and it surprises me how many people seemingly spend a large amount of money having not conducted their own due diligence.

There's a good lesson here. Take a long test drive before you buy, rather than getting it wrong and then complaining about it...it isn't the fault of the car or the brand. 

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ The seat comfort, along with pedal position and ease of access was the specific reason why I bought the NX.

When you have a disability - or a back problem I guess - it highlights the importance of a thorough test drive. To be fair, the RX was equally comfortable in terms of the seat, but the additional height made it problematic for me. There are whole brands of car where the seat design doesn't suit me, and that's fine. I wouldn't buy a car without thorough research and testing, and it surprises me how many people seemingly spend a large amount of money having not conducted their own due diligence.

There's a good lesson here. Take a long test drive before you buy, rather than getting it wrong and then complaining about it...it isn't the fault of the car or the brand. 

And if the long test drive can embrace a weekend and allow some night driving and perhaps a fill up of fuel at the garage you normally use, then one can begin to experience real world idiosyncrasies of the vehicle open which one proposes to spend a small fortune ?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

I’ve always found car brands willing to let me have a car for a reasonable time. And if they won’t, my money goes elsewhere!

One of the main factors as to why I now drive a Lexus was their offer of a 24 hour test drive of the NX. Once I had experienced the comfort, quality, quietness and driving pleasure I was hooked! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this with interest as I currently have a brand new NX300 on demo. Would agree that you need a longer time than the usual half an hour that you normally get and was very pleased that Lexus could accommodate.

Firstly I take reviews with a pinch of salt as I would much rather prefer to make up my own mind. Secondly everyone is different and will have their own views about everything and cars are no exception. What is good for one will not be for others that is the way of the world.

Now I currently have a BMW640d so I can't really compare the power or handling as these are two completely differing cars and need to be treated as such so no comparisons can be made between the two. The main reason for considering Lexus was the interior as I like leather and a bit of luxury as my 6 is all leather and a very nice place to be. On that front I have no complaints with the Lexus.

With regards to the seating position I too find the steering wheel does not extend out as far as I would like but to be honest after 3 hours sat behind the wheel last night did not find that to be a problem. Overall the comfort was very good.

The car does lack power but considering what I am used to that is not really surprising and for this car it is fine. As I have been testing it without any radio on you can hear the cvt noise on hard acceleration but to be honest it is not really that bad and as others have said you don't really need to be flooring it that often so I don't really see it as an issue. Perhaps this Takumi spec one has better sound proofing, who knows. Yes you can certainly hear the engine rev but it does not last for long. The plus point on this type of transmission is the smoothness of the changes or rather lack of them. My 640d is silky smooth but this one is another level.

The sat nav is not that good compared to mine and even the larger screen is small compared to mine as well but what it has does all work. I found coming form BMW Idrive to this one very simple to use and did what they were supposed to. I would say though I still prefer the Idrive that I currently have but as with anything there is always a little compromise as I seriously doubt you will find something that will tick 100% every single box.

Overall am quite impressed with the ride and comfort and as long as you can adapt to a slightly different style of driving I think that it is a very good car. The quietness around town is very good and even on A roads is still very impressive.

Not that good on the trip to work this morning as it was totally cold so the petrol engine was working a little longer than I would have hoped but the trip home hopefully should be a little better.

The only down side for me is the fuel economy over mine as it is way down and at the moment I don't think with me doing 18000 a year is a practical option which is a shame. Even if you work on 10mpg less over mine is it really that much to be thinking about, don't know. Plus the fact there will also be the additional £320 per year in road tax thanks to the change in 2017 is also a bit of a dampner, but not a deal breaker though. 

Also looked at the UX as that has a newer generation od drive and bigger batteries so perhaps wait till that is in the NX?

Oh decisions, decisions.

Have the car for the rest of today so am still deciding, but the infotainment system and the noise under hard acceleration are two small things to compromise on in an otherwise very, very good package.

• Like 4

The new RAV4 hybrid has the latest generation of the hybrid system, and appears to return very good real-world economy. It's also a much sharper looking and higher quality car than previous RAV4. If the CHR/UX and Camry/ES are anything to go by then the next NX won't be as distinct from the toyota as previous lexus have been. There's also a forthcoming plug-in version of the RAV4, which should produce exceptional results (since most regular plug-ins are fairly dire as ICE or EV, but Toyota's hybrid tech is rather different and much more effective than other makes). Might be worth a look?

1 hour ago, Farne said:

Unless I dreamt it and I believe I read it on a US site, there is an EV version of the NX coming soon to Europe.

Yep the UX300e been revealed and will come out next year 

The NX should get a full refresh next year with an electric powertrain

Ultimately I'm with @Shahporhere. People are allowed to move away from Lexus and explain why!

It is true that I don't recognise many of the criticisms, partly because I just don't have the same issue (I actually find the NX supremely comfortable) and partly because some of the things stated just don't bother me (I rarely if ever get the drone and it just so happens that it doesn't bother me in the slightest).

I do recognise others. The infotainment is unnecessarily complex - yes, you get used to it, but it's still an irritation because it could and should be better.

I do think also that it is unfair to compare what is ultimately a model brought out in 2014 with one brought out this or last year. That's not like with like. (These things are rarely like with like anyway as the way Lexus does equipment is so different from most competitors).

It is also entirely correct to point out that we are lucky to be fishing for cars in this particular pond, but I could be guilty too of apparently minor inconveniences putting me off. I really like Volvo (I had four of them before Lexus) but I find the new designs too boxy; I just find the BMW brand too brash; and I think Audis are too common (this has practical consequences, such as a much less personal service at dealers). I can't justify the price of Jaguars or Mercs, nor Land Rovers (which seem to spent half their time in the repair shop anyway). Anyone loyal to those brands might equally well be holding their hands up in horror!

To be frank, if I were to go anywhere else it would probably be to Toyota, for familiarity and reliability!

• Like 5

The NX is not the answer to all prayers but it is a very good motor, particularly for me here in East Anglia. It cruises very quietly at 60 on A roads, it rides and road holds quite nicely on B roads and cycle lanes and is no bother in the city. Fitting some Michelin Cross Climates made a big difference. To be fair I do very little routine M-way driving nowadays but when I do, the only time I notice the scream is when joining the motorway. Once at cruising speed it is very quiet. On an A road it is the same, only severe right clog causes excessive noise and I find in this motor I rarely need to do that anyway.

I am average size but I do agree there is insufficient adjustment on the seat and steering wheel to find an ideal position. If it was a manual car and I had to operate a clutch it would be deal breaker but I can manage with the CVT. The seat itself is comfy enough though it shares an annoying Lexus trait of a hard cross piece right at the base of the spine. It is not quite as prominent as it was in my CT but it is disappointingly still there. More padding needed on the seat or my backside. On credit side it is very easy to enter and exit which for me is a big plus point.

we all comment on the infotainment. It is poor but I’ve learnt to live with it. A big playlist on the iPod works well and I just leave it to play, it is a pain though that you have to re-select the iPod if the car stands for more than a few hours. You need a magnifier to read the map as well. You would think somebody at Lexus would have realised a bigger screen is useless if you still have miniscule text on the map.

Overall it does about 42 mpg and is dead easy to drive. Just as well as it is a tight squeeze in the garage.

• Like 1

It looks like I shall be the next one to say bye bye Lexus.  I've tried for a year and a half to adapt to it but after downsizing from the Touareg i just find it too cramped for me. 

If anyone is interested she's a March  2018 NX300h luxury trim in mercury grey with power tailgate and wireless fone charging, 17,500 miles.  Ivory interior , very light usage and bodywork very clean serviced by Lexus Newcastle. . PX values seem very poor and it would likely retail £28-29K. If anyone is interested then by all means pm me. 

She's a brilliant car but doesn't fit my body,  it's a shame. 

On 11/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Desmond said:

Fitting some Michelin Cross Climates made a big difference.

Interested to see your comment on Cross Climates. What difference did you notice? Were they quieter or better road holding? What did you have before?

27 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

Interested to see your comment on Cross Climates. What difference did you notice? Were they quieter or better road holding? What did you have before?

The road noise reduction from the factory Yokohamas was considerable and the ride appreciably more relaxed. I doubt if the handling is ultimately much different to factory fit but this is not really a push on sports car so that was not a factor. The road holding seems better than standard but that could just be subjective. I was fed up of swapping wheels in winter, this seemed a reasonable compromise though as yet I have not tested in snow. I did have them on the CT though and that revolutionised the grip in winter. Having experienced them before made this less of a risky purchase too.
I understand there is now a version 2 of Cross Climates. It is still a relatively expensive thing to do I suppose if your tyres are not needing a change but I figured that if I was buying a car like this and going to spend a lot of time driving it then it was worth that bit more investment to make the improvements.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, Sybaris said:

- Performance.  I have the 200t f-sport.  It is quick if you can drive it properly and it does suffer a bit of torque steer if you are not aware of it. It is also thirsty, around 21 mpg in town driving, around 27 mpg suburban and around 35 mpg on motorways.  I did drive a hybrid but that was sooooooo much slower.  I would probably have looked at other cars, had I tested that before the T.  

- Build quality.  Its a Lexus, the reputation says it all really.  Compare reliability to BMW and Mercedes.  Which car will spend more time in the shop? 

Happy to hear that a 2l can drive an SUV properly.

I am considering switching to Lexus, for the reliability Lexus has, GS 200t in specific. Does this engine fit with the Lexus quality image?

• Like 1