36 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Yes, the nit picking is overwhelming on this topic. The NX is a great car, people should be grateful that such a great marque as Lexus exists.

Seriously? This thread is starting to border on cult status.

Perhaps I should save myself the grief, but like Herbie said, there is only so long I can bite my tongue.

I kept reading hoping that sense would prevail, but the amount of passive aggressive talk on this thread is embarrassing.

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made!  The points that Paul raised at the beginning about the infotainment system and CVT gearbox are well founded and very annoying considering how well Lexus do other things.  When I put my foot down hard I am a little embarrassed by the drone that permeates the cabin (although the sound of the V6 makes up for it somewhat).

The fact is that there is nothing wrong with not liking the NX, but you guys seem to take it personally that someone doesn't agree with you about how great it is.

Oh, and having sampled the new BMW 3 series, the interior is superb and so far ahead of the Lexus offering that it is not funny.

Having said that, I still love my GS, so perhaps I will stick around here rather than find a BMW forum like suggested above....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Seriously? This thread is starting to border on cult status.

Perhaps I should save myself the grief, but like Herbie said, there is only so long I can bite my tongue.

I kept reading hoping that sense would prevail, but the amount of passive aggressive talk on this thread is embarrassing.

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made!  The points that Paul raised at the beginning about the infotainment system and CVT gearbox are well founded and very annoying considering how well Lexus do other things.  When I put my foot down hard I am a little embarrassed by the drone that permeates the cabin (although the sound of the V6 makes up for it somewhat).

The fact is that there is nothing wrong with not liking the NX, but you guys seem to take it personally that someone doesn't agree with you about how great it is.

Oh, and having sampled the new BMW 3 series, the interior is superb and so far ahead of the Lexus offering that it is not funny.

Having said that, I still love my GS, so perhaps I will stick around here rather than find a BMW forum like suggested above....

The NX is screaming for something like the 450h setup to be put inside. I suspect they won't do it simply down to the fact it'd stop people moving up to the RX.

The 200t was a good engine in the NX, quite punchy, however, we live in a day and age where economy seems to prevail above everything else and therefore these didn't sell very well so this option was removed.

Ive never found the infotainment that bad on Lexus - seems to be similiar to Merc to be honest. 

Having said that the OP is comparing a 4 year old design to a Brand new BMW, seems a bit far fetched. The infotainment system in the son's 2015 C class is of similiar frustration

All the above makes me believe I was correct to run- in my F-Sport for the first 1K mile !

The AVS is sublime even in Sport S.

The acceleration in the  above mode equals my previous F-Sport IS & the 6-speed gearbox is no different to that in my ISF, range apart.

Based around My Lexus, HUD & Info Screen the Nav works perfectly.

I achieve c. 42.mpg in D & 38.8 mpg in Sport S.

Nox levels of emissions are 40 times lower than Euro 6 Diesels & Lexus Build & Reliability is a Global given.

My Mk.2 ISF had the best ride of the F-Sports by a mile until my NX with its floppy 18" tyres & revised AVS.

Hard acceleration  emits a distant whine as though the rear electric motor joins the rush

Great SUV.

Tel.

43 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Contrary to what is being said here, the NX isn't the greatest car ever made

I agree, which is why I went for RX rather than NX.

Seating is very definitely a deal breaker. I know because I've got a back injury and seating has to be just right or I'm in agony for days, so I'm 100% with the OP on that score.

My incredulity stems from the fact that someone is rejecting not just a particular model of car but a range, and even a whole brand of car, based on such a 'first world problem' of not liking two such trivial aspects of it - two aspects that will fade into insignificance over time as you either get used to them, or find workarounds for them.

I cannot abide the inbuilt satnav in my RX, so I use Waze on my phone instead - problem solved.

If the perfectly-working transmission makes an occasional noise, I either lift up my right foot slightly or turn up the radio, or more realistically and likely, I just ignore it because it'll be gone in a few seconds - problem solved.

It's just beyond my understanding how someone can have sleepless nights worrying about such minor stuff, and to be so worried about it that you're willing to lose a few thousand quid along the way in trade-in value.

My problem is that I've made this personal and I shouldn't have done. His money, his life, and he can do whatever he wants with them. I never meant to offend anyone and if I have, I'm sorry. It's just beyond my sphere of comprehension and even if I sat here and pondered on it for the next year, I still don't think I could understand the rationale behind it, so with that I'm going to bow out of this thread, and again, sorry.

• Like 1

@Herbie That is a nicely thought out post and somewhat restores my faith in what makes this forum such a great place.

I suppose the moral of this thread is each to their own.

One personal trivial is another necessity.  You would be amazed at what some of my friends will obsess over during a purchase.

For me, the level of equipment is actually quite important.  It is the main reason why I made sure to get a Premier model, even though I could have had a much larger choice of car if I hadn't.  Do I need 18 way adjustable seats and an electric rear blind?  No, but I love my car even more for it having them.

Funnily enough, infotainment is a important factor in my car purchases, it is just that I don't mind the Lexus system too much and I love the 12.3 inch screen.

The general jist of what I am trying to get at is, if there is a perfect car out there I am yet to find it, so there are always going to be compromises.  However, what people are willing to compromise on varies wildly, so sometimes you just have to accept that what they consider important doesn't make sense to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

My incredulity stems from the fact that someone is rejecting not just a particular model of car but a range, and even a whole brand of car, based on such a 'first world problem' of not liking two such trivial aspects of it - two aspects that will fade into insignificance over time as you either get used to them, or find workarounds for them.

I’m not sure what thread you’ve been reading, but it isn’t the one I started. If you want to show where I’ve rejected a ‘whole brand of car’ based on ‘two trivial aspects’, feel free to quote those parts.

The car has been changed because the seat caused me severe back pain on every journey. The other features such as the gearbox and the infotainment were not ‘trivial’, but I could’ve lived with them, even if they spoilt my driving enjoyment. There were certainly no sleepless nights.

When I sat in an RX, it felt in a whole different league, but was over the £40k tax bracket. However, Lexus IS a car company, it’s not the chosen transport of Jesus *****.

As I’ve said previously, if you’re happy to tootle  around in your car turning your radio up every time you need to accelerate to join a motorway safely, good for you. 

Personally, I value my back and it is entirely my fault that I looked at the Lexus manual and assumed that the premium pack included lumbar support. It is my fault that I didn’t spend more time in the car  and play around with things and it’s my fault I thought I could live with the CVT drone.

i consider life to short to make comprises on something as expensive as a car, so I moved it on. I am thrilled with my BMW. The new interior is amazing, it’s a great drive and feels a generation ahead of the Lexus. This will now be my last post on the forum so I wish you all well with your cars

I've come late to this thread - so late that I've missed Paul. It's worth picking up on the oft-discussed "CVT drone" and "gearbox" points though. Owners who enjoy their NXs may feel defensive about this because motoring journalists cut and paste the same criticisms of Lexus models from one review to the next.  As long as people expect to hear a linear relationship between engine revs and road speed, they will never get used to a modern hybrid.  Even describing the compact power-split e-CVT unit as a "gearbox" kind of misses the point, as though Lexus & Toyota selected it in preference to conventional transmission options for the hell of it.  Over 14 years of hybrid ownership I've got completely used to the decoupling of engine speed from road speed, and I still think that the Lexus/Toyota hybrid system is a generation *ahead* of any pure ICE drivetrain. It's a fact than when accelerating hard the NX hybrid system is noisy.  It's also a fact that most of the rest of the time - and especially in urban situations - it's much quieter. Since hard acceleration is probably less than 1% of the time spent in the car, it's a tradeoff I'm delighted to make.  Others - like Paul - may differ.  There's still a challenge for Lexus sales staff in articulating this for potential buyers; and a risk that Lexus might be tempted to compromise the efficiency of the hybrid architecture by trying to replicate the behavior of conventional drivetrains. Perhaps all of this will be rendered irrelevant by the arrival of Lexus EVs in a few years.

• Like 4